It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My fiancé and I were previously taking about 1-3mg a day for the past year and a half. Neither of us are currently in a clinic or have a subscription, were just getting them from a friend for now. Seeing as how neither of us really "need" the suboxone, we decided to quit. Now it's only been three days since my last 0.5-1mg dose, and although I've felt quite terrible these past few days, I feel like reading everyone else success story really helps. My withdraw symptoms are: insomnia (it's the worst. I can barely sleep 3 hours a night), this achy feeling throughout my body ( a high dose of ibprofin usually helps with that though), I also feel either really hot or really cold there's nothing I can do to get comfortable, and extreme fatigue and irritability. That's about it. I've never had a previous drug addiction, BEFORE suboxone, and it was a mistake getting hooked on that. However, I'm trying to quit this all together, but since this is really my first time struggling with an addiction I could really use some input on how long these WD symptoms typically last. Especially the aches and insomnia. I'm looking forward to being on the other side, it just feels like I'm going through hell to get to it. I've tried stopping sub before, but to no success. My fiancé said that their WD only lasted approx. 11 days then felt fine after that. However I've read some horror stories of it taking up to three months! I understand its a process, but does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how you beat it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

Withdraws on that small amount usually last around 10 days. That is just from my own personal experience.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with the poster above. They usually end within 10 days or so. Especially if you have been on that little time and MG. So you weren't taking any opiates to need the sub? Just got your high from sub? I'm not judging or asking for any particular reason, I just find it interesting! In my party days I know I could take a quarter of a sub and get a high. Anyway, if you haven't done anything besides the sub I don't see it lasting too much longer. You will be fine. :) drink a lot of water, take hot baths, get a Magnesium vitamin and Melatonin for nighttime. Also Unisom helps with sleep. If you make yourself get up and out of the house, that'll help the most. Listen to music and go on a drive. Music is amazing at helping, and heightens your endorphins. We're here for ya and this is a pretty busy board. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think most of the horror stories of it taking months to wd are from people who jumped off very high doses. Most people who jump from around the dose you did detox in about the time period the two previous posters mentioned.

The only thing I would add is that some people experience a kind of low grade wd after the acute phase has passed. The low grade wd may last a few weeks, if you even get it at all?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
I think most of the horror stories of it taking months to wd are from people who jumped off very high doses. Most people who jump from around the dose you did detox in about the time period the two previous posters mentioned.

The only thing I would add is that some people experience a kind of low grade wd after the acute phase has passed. The low grade wd may last a few weeks, if you even get it at all?

I agree - we dont hear much about success stories because they don't bother letting us know how they did. It's usually the sick ones complaining about it in these forums.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi guys! I appreciate all your input more than you know. I understand some people handle withdraw better than others and it makes sense that people jumping from a higher dose would experience WD longer. But you mention something about another withdraw once the initial WDs stop? What should I expect? I'm actually doing GREAT! No suboxone in almost 5 days now and I can feel my body getting back in the swing of things. Still have the occasional aches and creepy crawlies but besides that, AND the insomnia, i feel normal again. I know you all will understand where I'm coming from when I say I truly feel "free" from the burden of hiding my addiction and always worrying about if I run out. I haven felt this good in over a year! And yes, to the first poster I really did not have any addiction to any opiates I just naturally got a high from taking a small dose of suboxone. Which, I'm not sure if it affected anyone else like this, but after a couple days that euphoria ran out leaving me feeling empty and wanting to take more to chase that high. Does anyone have any good recommendations for my insomnia? I was previously prescribed Ativan after I had surgery on my shoulder last month (which if anyone is curious, you should really stop suboxone a couple weeks before surgery) I went in to my surgery high and once it was over, no amount of pain killers helped. And I wasn't about to tell them
About my addiction! They had me on morphine, demorol (sp?) ativan for anxiety and perk 10s. the suboxone blocked all of it, and I laid in the hospital for three days in excruciating pain. Anyways, I'm out of ativan and my doctor I'm sure won't prescribe me anymore (don't really want to take them either), but regular OTC sleeping pills do nothing for me. I'm lucky to get three hours of sleep a night. When will this stop?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sleep is usually one of the last things to return to normal. After reading how minimal the rest of your symptoms already are, I'd say sleep isn't that far away. It may be a few more days or a few weeks, hard to tell. (Just an FYI, at day 5 off Suboxone, I was getting a whopping 20 minutes of sleep a night, so you're light years ahead of where I was! :wink: )

Have you tried Unisom (the one with Doxylamine Succinate). No other sleep aids worked for me either, but Unisom works nicely for me. Unisom comes in a couple of different varieties, make sure you get the one with Doxylamine Succinate. That active ingredient has been proven in studies to be more effective than some prescription sleep aids.

As for "another wd", it's not really another wd, it's just a continuation of wd, but to a lesser degree. Judging by your last post, you're not going to get it, so don't sweat it. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yay for 5 days!! You're really almost there! If you were only taking .5-1mg when you quit, for a week or so, you shouldn't have much longer. If you're feeling that great during the day, the nights should continue to get significantly better. You can try ibuprofen. Absolutely don't drink alcohol, it makes RLS, even in people who just suffer from it without WDs, much worse. I know I would love some red wine at night, but I've had to hold off. I tried a glass on Saturday and it was the worst night.

Will your doctor prescribe a mild muscle relaxant? Even a weeks supply worth? Those helped me tremendously. Other than that, it's just a waiting game. But hot baths right before sleep will help you fall asleep & the Unisom will help keep you asleep. As well as Melatonin & Magnesium vitamins(no joke).

Anyway great job and good luck! Keep us updated!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone, I know you do not get a lot of responses from people once they stop suboxone, so I just wanted to fill everyone in on my progress. It is day 19 without suboxone, and my energy, happiness, and most importantly, sleep schedule, are finally back to normal. I feel a little rough today, but it's nothing like I felt the first week I stopped taking them. I took a lot of B vitamins as well as L-Lysine. It helped tremendously. I honestly can not believe it's been almost 3 weeks! The thought of going one day without used to make me cringe. I'm so happy to be in my right mind. I truly want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for guiding me through this. I hope maybe one day I will be able to help someone too!