It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:56 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I'm new to the site. I have been on Suboxone since March and until recently was taking 1 - 2mg a day. On Wednesday I found out that I'm pregnant. This came as a big surprise to me because I was told that I cannot have children. I called my suboxone dr to tell him that I'm pregnant and he told me to stop taking it and that since I am on such a low does I will not have withdrawal. I didn't take anything yesterday or today. My whole body feels really hot although I don't have a fever and I'm not sweating. I have aches/pains and the creepy crawly feeling which I can deal with. The only thing I can't take is the hot feeling all over. Has anyone else ever felt this? If so, how long did it last? I feel like I can't take this much longer but I really don't want to hurt my 4 week old baby. I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Candy,
Welcome and congratualtions on your pregnancy! :D
It sounds to me like a little high of a dose to quit from, especially when pregnant, but if you are doing ok, and have your doctor's blessing, I guess you should not turn back now...

However, I would like to see your doctor take suboxone for awhile, and then detox off 1-2mgs and THEN tell you not to expect "any" withdrawals!

I came off at .375mgs and it was pretty uncomfortable for about a week or so, but manageable. I did not feel "hot" though, so I dont know about that symptom. I can tell you that although it takes some time, you will feel better day by day.

Good luck!
BF

PS. If the suboxone was keeping you stable and out of active addiction, make sure you have a recovery plan in place so you don't relapse on something that would really hurt your baby! Your can read up on the "suboxone and pregnancy" section - there are some good posts from Dr. J and other's there. Being on suboxone and pregnant is not necessarily bad for the baby I believe...

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello candy,

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy! And also welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry it couldn't be under better circumstances.

This sounds like a scary time in your life right now, and that's understandable, but I do agree with BF, that 1-2 mgs is a pretty big dose of buprenorphine to jump from, especially during pregnancy, and in the 1st trimester, nonetheless. Have you thought about possibly tapering any lower? You mentioned that you felt like a bad mother for taking suboxone, but nothing could be farther from the truth. There is nothing wrong with treating your illness with medication. It's actually a very responsible thing to do for you and your baby. And as BF said, people have jumped off at lower doses than that, and experienced withdrawal. Going through withdrawal during pregnancy increases risks of miscarriage and other complications.
Did your doctor inform you that if you remain on buprenorphine, there's not a 100% chance that your baby will have NAS? Nas can be treated quickly should it occur, and your baby will be made comfortable and not allowed to suffer. It is considered much safer to treat withdrawal in the newborn than to let baby go through withdrawal in utero.

Having said that, if you decide that you're absolutely going to stop taking subs now, Keeping hydrated, getting at least some physical activity everyday, and trying to rest as much as you can will be very important. If you find you have stomach issues, and have a hard time eating and drinking, consider meal replacement shakes. If you have a tough time sleeping properly, ask your doctor what is safe to use during pregnancy to help you sleep. Suboxone withdrawal, while many people say isn't as intense as detoxing from full agonists, can last several weeks or longer. Several weeks or longer of poor nutrition/possible dehydration, and lack of proper sleep can take its toll on you and baby, so please take extra good care of yourself right now, and if you're feeling really really bad, please let your doctor know what's going on.

Have you given any thought to what your going to do as far as relapse prevention during and after your pregnancy? Do you have other recovery support in place once you're off sub, such as an addiction counselor, or meetings you can attend? I'm only asking because stopping is one thing, but staying stopped is another. It is often very difficult to do on your own.