It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW! I read your post. I appreciate your honesty. It actually did give me hope. I am tapering rapidly off sub on my own in my own home. ( from 4 mg. now down to 2 mg in just 3 weeks) I do get pissy and emotional, I have aches and pains but I am sucking it up, I still work every day (yes 7 days a week a massage therapist) I come home, feed my kids, do laundry, do all the things I usually do, and I keep on keeping on. I really feel self pity is what gets people into trouble. Im not going down that road. I am gonna keep my head up and not feed my own addiction. When they say "You are your own worst enemy", they arent kidding. So thank you for your strong words of truth.
Off to a hot bath and some chamomile tea before bed. (when does the loose bowels start, cuz honestly I have had the opposite though I am just tapering still, not completely off....yet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow sweet16, you work 7 days a week, have kids and are tapering. You are a strong, determined woman. I can't even imagine working 7 days a week before having kids let alone with. With your attitude and strength I am sure you will kick that subs ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Every new way is helpful to hear.

Just one thing I wanted to point out. Everyone has a right to their opinions, but not to their own facts. You said, "Sub is dope. Sorry. That's just a fact.". That is YOUR OPINION. It is NOT a FACT. You didn't just present it as fact, you came right out and SAID it was fact. Please refrain from presenting or stating your opinion as fact, instead ensuring that you clearly state such things are your opinion only.

Thanks in advance for your future cooperation.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your experience tsiant. I'm glad your plan worked so well for you. I seriously considered going into treatment, not because I though the WD would be so bad, but just to get some distance from my kids, job and responsibilities while I was going off. In the end it wasn't really possible for me, but I think it's an option that is worth considering.
Now that you're off I hope you are still working on your recovery and surrounding yourself with people who are not using. Many here can attest to the fact that it only takes one insidious addict thought to trip us up when we don't have the protection of bupe on our receptors. Stay vigilant.

To sweet16 - I don't want to sound negative, and I agree that a good mindset is key. But that being said I would seriously consider taking a week-end off and /or getting help with the kids for a couple of days when you go off. My WD didn't even START until I was under 2 mg, so I don't think you have truly gotten a taste of what it is going to be like yet. Give yourself a break and be kind to yourself.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I wouldn’t call sub dope. I’ve been on both and now off both. I understand it’s just a word but suboxone has saved many lives. I can’t recall one story of dope saving a life. Either way, I’m glad it worked out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am Laughing out loud!
Lillyval- yes, you are 100% correct. Today is day 3 on just 2mg. I had cold sweats all night long & this morning, guess what ! LOOSE bowels. I know not funny, but I was beginning to think, I am going to get off easier than a lot of others...(NOPE!) I definately plan some ME time. I'll HAVE to, I am beginning to see. 2 Teens and a 10 yr old. They know what I am doing & it helps. Obviously, they donk KNOW what it is like. luckily they are very good about helping me when I am down. I dont even have to ask, they just rally around me and bring me soup or whatever. Seems like they like me more, the sicker I am ..lol these guys crack me up. When I am Mom, I am the evil one.

Breezy- Yeah I do work 7 days a week, but it isnt like a regular 9-5. I am a self employed massage therapist. I may have 1-4 clients a day, but I also do my own laundry, bookkeeping, advertising etc. so even if I am not working on clients I am working on something. Honestly, when I am with a client it helps me to relax too and it keeps my mind off my own stuff. I am one of those people that is very hi-functioning. I do in 1 day what many do in 3. When I get bored that is when trouble begins, so I keep myself busy. I recognize at some point I will need some down time. All in all this whole experience has helped me realize what is really important and that the party can't last forever.

This forum is such a gift. I have nobody to talk to reguarding my situation and I know others have the same feelings. Here, there are so many people that know exactly where I am and what I am going thru. Reading all the posts & threads give such a spectrum of reality and everyone has a unique set of issues. Makes me feel like I'm not the only one. I mean "misery loves company" right. So does success. Everyone, thank you, and every single one of you that share on this forum IS giving a gift, hope, a much needed boost, a reality check, a hug, to someone out there in need. Blessings to all...

Post subject: To Lillyval
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BTW Lillyval, curious how you are doing now that you are past the 72 hr. off sub. I wake up in the morning to see if you have updated. You are an inspiration and its so helpful to read your experience. You are arming us all that will jump soon.

Post subject: Re: response to sweet 16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tsciant wrote:
hey sweet16. one thing I dont get is when people talk about WDs when they are tapering. i went right off of 16-24mg using a 9 day taper (8,8,8,4,4,4,2,2,2). I felt no WD until the day after I took that last little 2mg. I will say that day 1-2 off was my roughest, assumable because my WD had started to set in because of the way I tapered off quickly. I wouldnt be expecting any bowell problems until you jump off completely at whatever dose you're on. for the most part, my withdrawal was pretty simple - insomnia, leg pain, and bowell symptoms for about 15-20 days. And I did have that wierd emotional period where for a few days everything made me cry, seemingly for no reason. In a way that felt good. Crying feels good for some reason in some odd way, perhaps because I'm mourning the recent passing of my father. But it was all manageable and tolerable. hot bath at midday, hot bath at bedtime, ambien helped some by at least getting me to sleep after the hot baths. i'm at day 27ish and now sleeping normally and taking no meds whatsoever. i feel like i'm free, and now it's just up to me to work a program of recovery so that I don't succumb to that "insidious addict thought."

Bottom line, the WD from going from 16-24mg, straight to a fast 9 day taper off completely, was not bad, for me. It was not fun. But even during the worst of it I was attending 8 hours of group per day, eating well, and participating, and smoking lots of cigs and drinking lots of coffee. Yeah there was some Kaopectin in there for a number of days. Ha. Yes, I'm having cravings for some things, but I am picking up the phone when I have them (not to the dopeman).

Also, my apologies for offering opinions as facts. Just my opinion. I guess sub can save lives, just as methodone can, and other maintanance therapies. Heck, if I had a steady prescription of any opiate from a doctor, I suppose it would do some good too. I'm just really in favor of abstinence. Yes I say this not even 30 days off sub yet. Before I went on sub I was clean for a couple years, and I severely regret ever going on sub. It only delayed the inevitable, for me.

I know not everyone has the luxury of going to treatment, but if at all possible, that's my encouragement. My doctor told me "you CAN'T do it that way. you'll have to do a very slow taper." she couldnt have been any more incorrect. these doctors, oh these doctors. i guess lexus payments arent cheap. that or they just don't know the 'medicine' they prescribe.

i hope anyone and everyone gets the same opportunity i had, to be free from this awful awful medicine, IMO.

The reason you did not experience withdrawl during your taper is because it was so rapid. Prior to your rapid taper you were on 16mg and because of the long half life of sub you had a ton of sub built up in your system. A proper taper is done over a long time and reduce to very low doses into mcg's, so they have expelled all of the built up sub causing them to feel mild withdrawl symptoms. In reality the very rapid taper you did probably didn't change anything compared to jumping off your maintenance dose.

I am glad you are doing so well and for people who can not do a long, slow taper your experience will be appreciated. Keep up the good work and please keep us updated.