It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

After putting this off for far too long, I am about to stop taking Suboxone (8mg film 3x per day) because I lost my medical insurance and can not afford it. My doctor has also stopped prescribing Suboxone, and the timing of that seems to be strange... Maybe it is serendipity. I am pretty much forced to quit cold turkey.

I've tried tapering in the past but could never get below 16mg per day.

After several years of taking 8mg three times a day I now find myself with 4 films left and no refill. Even if I had a refill I don't have the money for it anyway.

I started taking Sub before the film came out, and much preferred the film over the orange tablets. It seems stronger, and I only keep it in my mouth for about 10 minutes. With the tablets, I would let them dissolve and then swish that nasty tasting saliva all around my mouth for about 45 minutes and then spit it out.

Anyway, I digress. I quit once cold turkey and remained completely sober for a year. I jumped off at 16mg per day, and it was the worse experience I have ever had in my life... So I can only imagine how much fun this is going to be.

I'll take my last film Sunday night, and try to report in here daily to share my experience and hopefully get some encouragement from you guys. I've got my Nyquil, Magnesium bath salt, ibuprofen, etc.

Feeling nervous :( See you on the other side!

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If youre really set on going cold turkey, (which I wouldn't recommend :shock:), keep those 4 films. After about 3 days, take a 1/2 of one. Then in another couple of days take 1/4 of one and so on. It's not the same as tapering, but it's a way of easing off so you don't have to suffer unnecessarily.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey there, Justin!
Glad you came here for support....there have been a few members here lately and many in the past as well, who've posted about their experiences with quitting in good detail & who give great support and encouragement. Some have done "high jumps" and some have tapered. As you're likely aware, most of the time the ones who've tapered really low have an easier time...but not always. Heck, you've done it so you know. Right?

I agree with Lilly's advice about what to do with your last four films. The other thing I would do if I were you is..if possible, get your doctor to put one refill on your Sub. I just think you need a backup plan in case this cold-turkey quit becomes too brutal at some point. I understand you can't afford the refill. But it would at least be there at the pharmacy and you are 100% allowed to request and receive a partial fill of even 1,2 or however many films at a time you can afford. Please consider doing that as you'd have nothing to lose and it may come in real handy to finish up with a little less pain.

Honestly, I doubt jumping from 24mg will be much different than your jump from 16mg, as you're well over the ceiling dose anyway. I understand your inability to taper. Lots of people say the same thing...it's really hard to do that, mentally more than physically, in my opinion. However, the reward for tapering is often huge! Something I've done before and another member (Will, I think?) is trying it currently, is to sort of "reset" your tolerance, bringing it down dramatically and quickly to ease the withdrawal a bit. Basically, you just take your regular dose one day, then don't take any more until you start to experience withdrawal. In your case, that will probably take at least 3 days. At that point, you'll want to try your best to take a tiny piece of film. I'd start with only one milligram if I were you. Give that tiny piece a solid hour and see if you don't feel it make the wd a bit more tolerable. If it doesn't, go ahead and try another tiny piece and wait another hour. I just about promise you, you'll be shocked at how much it helps. After that, basically just continue on with the same pattern...wait until you can't handle it and dose again with another piece. The idea being that you'll space those little doses out as far as you can and then over the period of time those last four strips last (depending on how much you need to get comfortable, those 4 strips could last up to a couple of weeks) you'll have reset your tolerance level and essentially have done a quick taper and reasonably low jump. At the end, if you can push yourself to do this, you'll be jumping off a small dose of 1/2 milligram or hopefully much less than that. And I think you'll save yourself a good deal of unnecessary pain.

I'm not a doctor and you can certainly take my advice or leave it. My suggestions are just based on my own experiences and the experiences I've heard and read from others. But the theory makes common sense in my mind. It seems to avoid the long drawn out taper over months and months and the prolonged "mini withdrawals" that often come with long tapers, while still giving you at least some of the benefits of a taper and a lower dose quitting point. I still believe the majority of evidence points to the longer, lower tapers being the best chance for an easier time and the least chance for PAWS, therefore probably also the lower risk of relapse. But if you can't do it and you can't or won't learn or force yourself to do it, maybe this method will soften your landing a bit.

Whatever route you take, I wish you only the best with your quitting. Please keep up posting how it goes for you!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just want to throw out there you have balls. Attempting a jump at that dose, there is no better way to say it, that takes BALLS.

You can read my thread for some motivation. I'm considered a high jumper @ 2-4mg. I would consider you an insane jumper at 24mg.

You've already done it once it sounds like. You didn't mention how long you've been at 24mg but I really hope its less than 3 months. I don't want to sound negative or depress you but I can't imagine what it would be like jumping from there. I don't think I'd be able to function.

Do whatever you can to reinforce your will. You've got to some way manage to stay positive throughout the experience. The fact you've already jumped at 16 shows you're a badass mother gorilla.

If you can afford a normal doctors appointment I'd suggest doing so. St that dose I'd fully support getting some type of short-term benzo to help with the worst withdrawals. I personally used xanax ( stupidly before the worst hit ). I only used it for the first three days. It did help. However the risk to get hooked on benzos is very dangerous. I'd venture to say probably the only thing worse than coming off opiates. If used responsibly however can be a great tool to quitting this crap.

Also ask about Clonidine, its a blood pressure medication that is prescribed off-label for opiate withdrawals. It calms your central nervous system and can really make a difference. I still use it 35 days into my own recovery. Its not addictive and can be quit very easily at just about any time. I'd suggest s modest taper from it and than hop off ( to not fuck your blood pressure up )

If you manage to beat this from 24mg and continue to update this thread I promise to check in daily. That's an absolutely monsterous task, but I believe it can be done. Stay strong buddy. Don't do anything irrational. Keep us updated.

I've made a little joke with a fellow member about us being guinea pigs for the world to read about. At this dose you're absolutely the head hancho guinea pig.

Bravo! You can do this man!

-WantToBeFREE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, you could try what the first two posters said to do, but I don't think it's gonna help much at all. IMO, it's just gonna extend your agony. You're quitting from 24mg, with only 4 of the 8mg films left. You may decrease your tolerance slightly by trying to extend those last few films, but bottom line is, you're still gonna be jumping off a big dose and you're in for some shitty wd.

You've already jumped off 16mg before and made it a year. You know what's coming. Bear down, grit your teeth and push through it.

I agree with WTBF, I'd get about a weeks worth of Xanax or another benzo if I were you and I would most definitely get some Clonidine (Clonidine is a Blood Pressure med that's prescribed off label for opiate wd.....Clonidine was the best thing I took during my wd). Don't start the Xanax until day 3 or 4, though.

Good luck, man. I'll be checking in on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

All I can say is WOW Please come in here and let us know how u are doing......I tapered way down and so far my w/drawls have been pretty minimal I dont feel TERRIFIC but I dont feel horrible & I am working & I am 17 days no subs!!!!

What everyone is telling u above me speaking the honest truth nope none of us are Dr's but weve been thru it or going thru it so the support in here will help u.......Good luck!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh wow, I can only imagine how hard that will be but you can only ever try! I think it's going to be one hell of a ride and wondering if you have a back up plan if you just can't manage it?

I will be checking for updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just wondering how you were doing JustJustin .. please update us how its going when you have a chance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would do it the way Barelyboxed talked about it ("reset" your tolerance kinda). I agree that you'd be surprised how little you may need to get you out of withdrawls. It won't be like tapering, but it could make some of your misery more bearable.
But with all the 'stopping suboxone' stories i've read all over the web, it seems like romeo is right, that your in for some discomfort, at best.
Like other folks also told ya, maybe clonidine or a benzo would help you get thru it too. Comfort meds they call them, i think. My own personal best advice is to do all ya can to keep your mind off it. Opiate withdrawls we all know are hellish, but we also can't deny that a big part of it is mental. Stay busy-dont sit around feeling like shit. It'll just make it worse & feel like it lasts forever.
If you can get that 1 last rx, that probably would be good. Even if you buy a few @ a time only if ya need them.
Man, I hope its not too bad for ya! Here's to ya.