It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stopping Buprenorphine
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Please help! How do I help my boyfriend through this trying time? He takes four 8 mg tablets a day and his health insurance was recently cancelled. He has about fifteen tablets left. What is the easiest way to get him off this drug?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

He shouldn't be taking that much or dosing four times a day. I can't beleive a doc told you to do that. I started at 8mg a day and jumped to 4 after a year on my own and had no withdrawal symptoms. He is either going to have to get a different doc or taper. Divide the dose to taper him off.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sadsak and welcome to the forum!

Pinkbarbie is correct in my opinion. Your boyfriend could lower his dose down to around 8-16mg and I bet he would barely notice the difference. And no need to take it 4 times per day either. He could lower the dose, take it once or twice per day in the am and pm, and make those pills last quite a bit longer. If he has no access to getting more bupe, then he should immediately begin to taper.

He has to be fully READY to get off or the chances of relapse are high in most cases. But if he has no other option but to get off it's best to taper down as low as possible to help ease any symptoms. If it were me I would reduce my dose to 16mg TOTAL per day right away. Take 8mg in the morning, and another 8mg in the afternoon, about 8 hours after the first dose. Do that for about 3-5 days.

Then reduce again to 12mg, taking 6mg am, and 6mg in the pm as before. Then reduce to 8mg, with 4mg am, and 4mg pm. Then reduce to 6mg and split it into 2 doses of 3mg each. Then to 4mg, then 3mg, 2mg and then to 1mg per day total. After that maybe reduce by .25mg each time. Go to .75, then .50, .25, and he could make the jump from there. Depending on how much sub he has left, the time between reductions may need to be shorter? Adjust as you go.

That's all just my suggestion based on experience, and what I would do if I had to get off with no possible opportunity of getting more subs. A support group is also suggested to help along the way. Nothing better than to be able to talk to other addicts face-to-face that really understands how it is.

Good luck and hope this helps. Please update and let us know what he decides. I sure hope he is able to obtain more subs if he wants to remain on it longer. Being forced off is sure tough. Best wishes to you both.

Karen