It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone
I found this site by chance and think it is great and informative. I started in the 80's with heroin and methadone and did my worst detox in prison after 3 years of H and methadone felt like death for a month or 2 but I did 6 years in prison and came home clean. I stayed cool for another 6-8 years until some old and new injuries forced me onto painkillers, after abusing for a year or so with my pain meds I had a habit again and needed help, Thats when I found suboxone and went to a good Dr who understands my history and the need to detox we decided to stay on maintenance though because I need pain control. We had my dose as high as 32 mg a day but I tapered it to 16 myself because it only worked to a point for pain.
I have been tapering on my own to where I am now down to 4-6mg a day. Now my insurance company says that to get bupe after Aug 1 I have to get a precert and Dr says he will have to tell them I am opiate addict because my insurance only pays for bupe for addiction. I am a little upset because I only stayed on for 2 years for pain control once the insurance co puts addict in my records I will never get the proper care I need because all Drs look at you as junkie trying to score so I am getting 1 last refill for 90 2's and getting off before I need precert and I want to be off before they start testing for bupe for jobs. Since my doc only takes cash none of my other docs know about him but I used insurance to pay for scripts because of price.
I know that we all want to be sober but be careful how you handle docs and insurance because it could screw you in the future if they label you. I am going to watch this forum and would welcome any advice on taper/stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi bstevenj and welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you find it informative. I hope you also will find it to be very supportive.
I'm sorry you need to come off sub when it sounds like you may not be ready. How low do you plan to taper before jumping off? Have you read any of the other "stopping suboxone" threads? You will find that many believe the lower and slower the taper the less the symptoms of withdrawals you'll have. I would advocate that you draw out your taper for as long as you possibly can with your limited supply of sub.

I hear what you're saying with regard to insurance, etc. Your doctors may still see that you've used suboxone and automatically believe you to be an addict no matter that you tell them it was for pain control. But I'm sure you realize that. You just want to keep from having "addict" written in any of your charts, right? I understand the need for that - because addiction is considered to be a preexisting condition. You know many states have pharmacy/medication monitoring databases, right? So if any of your doctors check it, or if a pharmacy sees it and tells one of your doctors, then they will see that you have another doctor on record, regardless of the fact that you pay cash to see him/her. I just wanted to point out that possibility.

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope you use the support here to work through your taper and that you post frequently. Take care and keep us up to date on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thanks for the welcome
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker I hear you about the data bases and all I have been around or in the game for about 30 years now and if it was not for chronic pain I would not have gotten back into this mess. I have several medical conditions that warrant pain relief but I know how Drs get when they see addict on charts. I guess it will happen sooner or later but I don't want to be dependent when it does. My insurance co which I won't name is very good about paying claims for my care but I beleive that the sub docs are in bed with drug co since when I informed my doc about the insurance problem and asked for generic he had a million excuses why I could not have generic or tex because of abuse yet I have never had a bad urine. This was a great idea when it started but now the government wants to know who and how much and the whole idea was to remain annonymous while being treated and I beleive it will be soon that jobs will test for bupe and you will be descriminated against there as well.
AS for taper I am holding at 4mg a day now and have enough sub to taper for about 3 months so with some support and education I know I can make it off I just have to deal with the pain the best I can. It sucks getting old, arthritis in spine, bad discs, waiting for new knee and carpal tunnel in both hands but thats life.