It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

do doctors have a legal obligation after keeping someone on sub. for 6yrs?
yes they do 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
no they can do whatever they want 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: stopping after 6yrs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial Black] [/font]
After 6yrs on suboxone, with one doctor, she finally told me it was time to taper... Do you think a person can come off after such a long time? I was patient #1 when the clinic started with 1 doctor and now they have 5 doctors and over 100 patients.. Should a person be forced to stop after such a long time? I beleive they are experimenting on me just to see what is going to happen!!!!!!!!! She keeps asking me if I feel suicidal... I'm feeling a lot of things including various physical and mental sideffects but with 3 kids i'm not going to be leaving them without a father because of my drug addiction... Please help with your experiences..........painterbob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I saw one of your other posts and I almost responded to try and find out why you were getting off suboxone, but then decided it wouldn't be appropriate. Then I get to this post and realize my initial sense was correct in that you are very ambivalent about getting off suboxone or tapering.

I have no idea what a doctors legal obligation would be (I don't think any), but I also don't know why they would suddenly indicate it is time to taper after keeping you on it so long. Did they discuss this you for a while first? Did the doc just spring it on you and drop your dose? Did you tell the doctor how you feel about it? It doesn't sound like you are interested really.

Cherie

Post subject: Been on 6 yrs. too
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I liked reading your post simply because I thought I was about the only person who had been on this drug for so long. I just joined this forum and this is my first post. But come about mid-July this summer, that will be six years on suboxone for me. Most of that time, I've been at 12mgs. Just in the last two weeks, I've been feeling so crappy (almost like the beginnings of withdrawals, or something) that I'm starting to think that it's the sub that's got me feeling so bad and maybe it's high time I started the long taper off. I, too, felt exactly like you for a long, long time. I was happy on the drug and didn't want anyone pushing me to get off too soon. In fact, part of the reason my wife left (we're separated, not divorced) is that she didn't want to live with me on this drug. It had almost completely robbed me of any sex drive, plus the idea of living with me while I was addicted to yet another drug, albeit a "good" one, was just not to her liking. My being on suboxone was not the whole reason she left, but it was a big part of it. Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about starting the taper just to see if I can't get to feeling better. Weird, huh? I could well start to feel worse due to minor withdrawal symptoms, but I've been so out of it lately that anything's got to be an improvement. Best of luck to you. Oh, by the way, my doctor has left the "if" and "when" I get off suboxone entirely up to me. He said he will support me in whatever I do, meaning he will write the prescriptions as long as I feel I want to be on the drug. Or he will help me taper in any way he can.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I thought I was the only one on sub for so long. I started at 24 mg 6 1/2 years ago and am now at 3 mg. My doc has the same attitude of leaving it up to me but he does bring up getting off once in awhile. I was a heavy opiate abuser for 10-11 years prior to sub. I don't know how much oxy or H I was using but it was lots. I never understand people who know exactly how many mg's they were using daily, I used what ever was in front of me. My fear and I'm sure your too is that I've had opiates in my system daily for 17 or 18 years. I'm scared to death to get off subs knowing what a complete junky I am. I hear alot of different opinions on short term and long term use. Maybe I am still just a junky getting my fix from a doc monthly and maybe it is just an easy way to deal but life sure is better this way. I'll give you this advise on lowering, for me there were certain dropping points that were harder than others. I won't even go into which ones that were difficult for me because I think it is different for everyone but I would usually adjust after a few weeks and if not my doc would bring me back up for awhile. The wife thing is a tough one, I'm truly sorry you have to go through that. I've been lucky or blessed to have a wife that wants me to stay on subs. I think it puts her at ease, she really saw me at my worst and suffered depression and constant bladder infections because of the stress of watching me kill myself. In fact if it were up to her I would just on subs forever. Good luck to you. Everything tends to work out for the best when we are sober.