It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

i just got 2 teeth pulled and in alot of pain can i take my vicodin for the pain???? a day and a half after my last suboxone, only 4 mg??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 am 
MMA - sorry you're hurting. I think mouth pain (bad tooth or extensive dental work stuff) is some bad pain! However, since you've gotten teeth pulled and if there is nothing else wrong, the pain should pass pretty quickly. If at all possible I would stick with Tylenol or Advil or Aleve. If the pain is too much for that, you need to talk to your Sub doc about what to do.
I'm not a doctor or an expert. But in general, what I have heard is done sometimes when there's an acute pain event (broken arm, surgery or whatever) you are to stop your Suboxone for however long the pain is severe and take a full agonist pain med. Usually if you're on Sub it will take something stronger than your Vicodin to break through the Sub you already have in place in your system. However, you are not on a high dose of Sub, so you might get some relief with the Vicodin. I have heard others say in this type of situation that they get relief from their pain yet no high from the pain meds.
You'll want to work with your doctor as to when to go back on your Suboxone after having taken full agonists as that is where problems could potentially come in. I've heard of this being done in many cases (on Sub - off Sub and on pain meds for a short time - back to Sub) without any problems or unwanted effects. I hope that is the case for you.
Again, work with your doctor on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Speaking purely anecdotally, I have heard many people say that 800 mg of ibuprophrine works better than hydrocodone for tooth pain anyway. I don't have any studies or anything to back that up but have heard it many times and actually am going to try it for myself in a few weeks here after I have some dental work done. Beyond that, two days off of Suboxone seems to be the standard recommendation. My recommendation is that you coordinate between your Suboxone doctor and your dentist for the optimal plan. It sounds like it might be a bit late for that at this point, however. So, if your Suboxone doctor does not have a problem with you taking the Vicodin, you certainly are "safe" to take it as in it's not going to put you in withdrawals or anything. You just really don't want to take any opiates without your Suboxone doc knowing about it.

I hope that helps!