It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, i was on suboxone for over a year and just a month ago i stopped cold turkey and it wasn't fun. I am concerned though i have no motivation anymore like i did when i was on subs. I use to love getting up and going to work and since i stopped i don't even wanna go and its scaring me. I have been on adderall but that doesn't even motivate me. I was thinking about going back on subs just for the motivation.please if anyone knows anything that i can do to reverse this it would be highly appreciated. I tried l-tyrosine, b12, wellbutrin xl, st. Johns wort and happy pills. Nothing i do can touch the lack of motivation. Its definitely not in my head either. Is there a medication similar to suboxone but not suboxone if that makes any sense. Please if anyone can help i would be grateful.
p.s. i stopped using suboxone because my hair was falling out.

Thank you
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm no expert and certainly no doctor, but I've noticed the exact opposite, at first on subs I was very motivated, now I'm not which is part of the reason I'm quitting cold turkey. I've read that its not the drug being in your system that keeps you feeling odd but the receptors in your brain. These supposedly take awhile to heal, I may be dead wrong and I encourage someone to correct me but it can take a few months for you to grow new receptors. You may be going through the more long term withdrawl. Mentally. Hopefully someone else can be more scientific with their answer but that's my input. I hope everything works out. Try watching motivational videos, its helped me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

it takes longer than a month of being off suboxone to get your motivation back. Withdrawal usually lasts at least 3 months if i'm not mistakin, it lasted longer for me though. So give it some time

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's not so much that receptors have to grow back. It's that the receptors have to upregulate. When we're hooked on opioids, our opioid receptors try to restore the balance / minimise the stimulation by moving further back into the neuron, and also creating more receptors to accommodate the influx of opioids.

When we quit opioids, it can take some time for our receptors to "come out of hiding", and to reduce their amount so they can again feel the relatively low stimulation from our endorphins.

It's theorised that this process of restoring / healing takes longer with long acting opioids because drugs like methadone / Suboxone are more easily stored in our tissues and body fats. The longer we stay on it, and the higher the dose, the more bupe and its metabolites are stored in our lipids. Then what happens once you go off Sub and get over detox, is slowly these molecules work their way out of your lipids. It's these trace levels of bupe that find their way into our blood that slow down the process.

It's for this reason that exercise is recommended to speed up the recovery process. It works at both ends, both pushing out the leftover sub from our tissue, and also speeding up the process of receptor healing, and stimulating production of endorphins.

It's a catch-22 that you NEED motivation in the first place to exercise, but it's the exercise that helps with motivation. But that's kinda true any time you wanna exercise for the first time.

Stick around here because plenty of people have been through what you've been through. Personally I've found anti-depressants aren't that good for motivation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm 

John, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you're here, even though I wish you weren't struggling. TJ gave you a lot of good information. Unfortunately it sounds like time is the only way back to normalcy.

The great news is that you should start noticing positive changes in the next few weeks. I'm sorry there's no quick fix though. Hang in there and let us know how you do!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what exactly happens to our receptors when we go through WD. The following excerpt from Dr. J's blog really helps clarify things:

"In order for withdrawal to end, the body must make NEW receptors, and implant the receptors in the cell membrane. That takes weeks to occur. The process is initiated by withdrawal itself. When the neurons in endorphin pathways are not firing at their normal rate, the neurons respond to that lack of firing by turning on the machinery involved in making new receptors. In other words, the pain of withdrawal MUST occur, if receptor renewal is to be triggered.
The duration of withdrawal is a function of how long the body takes to make new receptors– NOT the amount of time to clear the body of the substance. Some people mistakenly think that withdrawal ends when the drug is gone– and that it is ‘stuck in the bones’ or things like that. All of that makes interesting reading, but it is not what is going on. It takes 8-12 weeks for the body to make new receptors, so that is how long opiate withdrawal usually lasts.

Read more at http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... aa9FbHh.99 "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There seems to be a lot of confusion about what exactly happens to our receptors when we go through WD. The following excerpt from Dr. J's blog really helps clarify things:

"In order for withdrawal to end, the body must make NEW receptors, and implant the receptors in the cell membrane. That takes weeks to occur. The process is initiated by withdrawal itself. When the neurons in endorphin pathways are not firing at their normal rate, the neurons respond to that lack of firing by turning on the machinery involved in making new receptors. In other words, the pain of withdrawal MUST occur, if receptor renewal is to be triggered.
The duration of withdrawal is a function of how long the body takes to make new receptors– NOT the amount of time to clear the body of the substance. Some people mistakenly think that withdrawal ends when the drug is gone– and that it is ‘stuck in the bones’ or things like that. All of that makes interesting reading, but it is not what is going on. It takes 8-12 weeks for the body to make new receptors, so that is how long opiate withdrawal usually lasts.

Read more at http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... aa9FbHh.99 "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your input. I didn't know about my body needing to make new receptors and what not. i started my new job right when i started my sub kick. So, was that the subs making me happy about this particular job? or when i grow new receptors is that who i am really gonna be. ? I don't fully understand sub withdrawal but i am here learning from others now. I liked all my previous jobs but the one i have had since my sub kick seems like i just liked way more than the others and since i stopped the sub use it just hasn't been the same.