It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stop vs. Taper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been around this forum and on Subs for about 2 years. I'm at the point that they have done their job, and I'm looking to get off them. I apprached my doc this week about this and he proposed simply stopping, and not bothering with a taper. That scares me. He expalined that his preferred method was to load me up with other meds like Clondin(sp?) and such to treat the symptoms of withdrawl. He says taking a week off of work and these drugs has worked well for his patients. I have the ability to take off work, so that isn't a problem. But in my 2 years on this forum, EVERYONE who has a choice, chooses a taper of some kind. Many fail, and some succeed. My question is if you have stopped this way or know anyone who has, and what their experience was? Thanks.

P.S. He has been a very good doctor and is a PsychD in addiction treatment. I've been happy and impressed with his knowledge to this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What dosage are you at now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cantbephaded0420 wrote:
What dosage are you at now?

6mg Subutex. I have always been on roughly the same dose.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've never heard of a doctor recommending CT. A long, slow taper seems to be the preferred method. I tried to do so, but couldn't hack it, so I ended up going CT. The acute stuff was tolerable, but PAWS got me bad. I ended up drinking for the first time in almost 16yrs and ended up in rehab!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Dason,

All I can do is relate my story to you and offer my opinion of what I would do if I were you. Ultimately, as you know, you are going to have make a choice of which method you think would suit YOU best.

I started out at 16mg sub and stayed there for 2 years. I then went from 16mg to 6mg over 7 or 8 months. Next, I went from 6mg to 2mg over 12 days and quit. I must say that I would not necessarily recommend this method to anyone (the 6mg to 2mg in 12 days then quit). I knew in my heart I was ready to quit and my obsessive nature took over and that's why I tapered so quickly and quit...obsessiveness. Now, I have 6 months without sub as of today and I was able to make it, I'm sure you could too if you really wanted to, but it was a rough, rough road.

If I were you, knowing what I know, I would taper down as far as humanly possible and then quit.

The clonidine and I imagine he might give you a few benzo's will help, but they will NOT take away all of your wd symptoms.

The 'Rapid Taper' thread has a guy named Matt who tapered and to date has been successful. You might to check it out.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:13 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Dason

Saw Romeo's post (a very supportive person on this board) on my "rapid taper" thread. I just wanted you to keep in mind our situations seem different and that might be relevant. I wasn't on Sub maintenance. I went straight from full agonist pain medication to a "rapid taper" using Sub for detox because I was unable to taper from the full agonists themselves. Also, while I am feeling pretty decent now, I still have a ways to go to know if the path I chose will work out for me.

For stopping Sub maintenance, I think most on this board would concur that 6mg is way too high to jump off. I would suggest checking out the "Liquid Taper" thread (sticky at the top) which chronicles one board member's experience doing a very slow taper which seemed to result in pretty minimal life disruption. I understand many others have been successful with this.

Also check out this link. http://suboxonetaper.com/ This guy Brian was on Sub maintenance nearly 3 years and did what one might view as a rapid taper from his Sub before he stopped. I'll let you read about it.

Best of luck to you in whatever path you choose. This board is a very friendly and supportive place - so stick around.

Matt