It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: To stop or not to stop?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everyone on Suboxone will entertain the idea of stopping the medication and becoming 'normal'-- the medication gives opiate addicts the chance to remember what is used to be like, before opiates ruled their lives.

Unfortunately, Suboxone does not 'heal' opiate dependence-- it instead forces it into remission. When a person stops Suboxone, he/she is usually surprised to find that the obsession to use is still there.

That said, I don't consider a trial off Suboxone to be totally unreasonable. As long as the person is aware of the risks, and has taken all steps possible to increase the chance of remaining sober, then a trial may be the right thing to do-- especially for younger patients.

I have some plans for the future along this line, including a group for people who would like to stop suboxone-- I think that getting support from others during the period of stopping the medication would be very helpful. Stay tuned...

Post subject: Stopping suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess I already asked you this but I think this is a more appropriate place to ask. As you know I was only on suboxone for a short period, but now convinced it saved my life. I just have no doubt I would still be stuck in the withdrawals of methadone had it not been for suboxone, when my Dr saw me for the last few months unable to taper lower than 20mg, he said you look like your dying, and I felt that way too. I was most fearful that if I stopped I would always feel this way and if that was the case I had truly planned on taking my life. That's why I have been such a proponent of both you and the drug. If someone comes off it, having addressed all their issues and slowly tapered, what could they expect in terms of withdrawal. I ask because I have a friend on the board who is just embarking on it, though don't know yet if this will be short lived or for years to come. Thank you for this forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah,

I mean how hard is it to find your dose? You start in the middle somewhere, 16mg, see how you feel and adjust accordingly. Now granted, this is specific to me, because I used about 100 to 160 mg of percs a day for 6 - 7 months this time around (been hooked before). YMMV. if you're strung out on tons of dope, done, whatever, this may not work for you, but i think it can no matter how much you use, if you're willing enough.

I'm not a doctor, so i'm sure I would/will get flamed for this, but if you're serious you can find the right dose, and taper down . I would say taking longer than six months to taper down off bupe is too long considering there are no cravings. Again, this depends on your previous habit. but I do believe with a little common sense,and the ability to purchase what you need, you dont need to pay a doc 400 dollars for him to say "How do you feel?" Ok come back in two weeks so i can ask you again "how do you feel?. Ok take less."

Do your research, support from others is always helpful, so I guess a doc can hook you up with this. But NA is free. And I'm not pushing NA, just saying, free support is out there, and you don't have to become a 12-stepper for life. I was in AA for three years, and it was extremely helpful in that it taught me to grow up, take responsibility, accept that life is what it is and my feeling sorry for myself doesn't help anything.

I started with a 2mg chip, believe it or not, as I said in another post. It was not nearly enoughafter the first day, but if you've ever had cravings/withdrawals before, you'll know. Moved to to 8mg twice a day for a week, now down to four mg 2x a day. Will stay this way for about three weeks. I will then stay on 2mg, 2x a day for "as long as it takes), supplemented with xanax (not at the same time, I separate the xanax by at least four hours to combat the boredom/depression/anxiety that is inevitable). Again, this maybe a dangerous substitution for some people, considering we wouldn't be talking about this if weren't addicts. Which we ARE. Maybe more exercise and being social can take the place of xanax for some, but for me, my whole painkiller mess started with a serious neck injury that is still prevalent so it keeps the exercise to a minimum.

Again, this is my experience so far only, not trying to tell anyone their way is wrong. I have a friend, he was up to about 3 to 4 80mg oxys a day, sprinkled in with some percs here and there. Couldn't stop. Went to suboxone doc and hasn't used anything except subs at all in three years. The problem is, he still take a 4 mg sub 3x a day. My questions: Why? After three years, do you really need it?

Remember: Experiment. Fail. Learn. Rinse. Repeat.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Opiate withdrawal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on opiates for many years especially oxycontin. I have decided to quit the habit and since i was buying the oxy on the street i was able to also find some suboxone. i read some stuff about people having withdrawals after quitting suboxone and i want to avoid that. I want to know if it is possible to avoid opiate withdrawals if i only take suboxone for the first 5-7 days then quit will i be through with opiate withdrawals and also avoid suboxone withdrawals. anyone experienced this? basically i just want to take the subs for the least amount of time possible to get through the awful opiate withdrawals and then be done with it. Any input or suggestions??

Post subject: Re: Opiate withdrawal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

dru18h wrote:
I have been on opiates for many years especially oxycontin. I have decided to quit the habit and since i was buying the oxy on the street i was able to also find some suboxone. i read some stuff about people having withdrawals after quitting suboxone and i want to avoid that. I want to know if it is possible to avoid opiate withdrawals if i only take suboxone for the first 5-7 days then quit will i be through with opiate withdrawals and also avoid suboxone withdrawals. anyone experienced this? basically i just want to take the subs for the least amount of time possible to get through the awful opiate withdrawals and then be done with it. Any input or suggestions??

I just spoke with my Doctor's nurse about this and she said you can Detox for a week on Suboxone. I also just want off the opiates all together. I am scared of withdrawals from the Sub. From what I am reading they are worse and I am scared. I do not want to be on Sub for months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

After a long time of using heroin, i finally went on subs. B4 that i had used subs from friends just to get through H withdrawls but never used it for more than a few weeks MAX... back then I'd just stop taking them and go back to normal with out much suffering at all, truly a miracle drug i thought.
Now after being on it for 3 years I'm starting to think I should have educated myself way way earlier.. it did keep me clean for that time but I'm starting to think there's no way out of it. I tapered myself down to .5mg twice a day, and then once.. it's amazing how a lil bread crum is the difference between being normal and totally dis-functional. The withdrawals weren't as bad as from heroin or benzos but the CRAVINGS hit me like a ton of bricks after almost a week... As I came closer to 2 weeks off my head felt like a big black hole and eventually i ended relapsing and shooting heroin again... after about a month of struggling back and forth with deis and subs I flew myself to my sis where I couldn't get anything and been off about 2 weeks... After the initial withdrawals though it wasn't over, I woke up and felt like my body weighs 500 pounds! it was some serious effort just to walk a few steps to get some water... I never experienced anything like this, off any other opiate it was a week or two of suffering and thats it... So I started researching and found out there's soemthing called PAWS(Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) which can last for MONTHS, where you (atleast I did and still do) feel like a zombie... Personally for me that feeling is the most dangerous for me, i'd almost rather be in withdrawals... If I was home right now I'd definitely break and call my dealer right about now.. My brain is in absolute agony.

My question for the Doc is if there's anything I can do for this feeling?

and my suggestion for anyone who wants to quit after years of being on subs is... DON'T b stupid like me and think you can do it alone. And if you're thinking of starting suboxone just know that eventually you'll have to deal with the problem and go get treatment or stay on the pill 4 life... At least thats my addictive opinion.

Post subject: Re: Stopping suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:59 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Masuka wrote:
I guess I already asked you this but I think this is a more appropriate place to ask. As you know I was only on suboxone for a short period, but now convinced it saved my life. I just have no doubt I would still be stuck in the withdrawals of methadone had it not been for suboxone, when my Dr saw me for the last few months unable to taper lower than 20mg, he said you look like your dying, and I felt that way too. I was most fearful that if I stopped I would always feel this way and if that was the case I had truly planned on taking my life. That's why I have been such a proponent of both you and the drug. If someone comes off it, having addressed all their issues and slowly tapered, what could they expect in terms of withdrawal. I ask because I have a friend on the board who is just embarking on it, though don't know yet if this will be short lived or for years to come. Thank you for this forum

Question:
(first a brief history)

I spent most of my teenage life addicted to heroin. After relapse after relapse, met clinic twice, and visiting a very popular (and expensive) doctor atleast 5 times in 5 years back when buprenorphine injections were the only thing available, I managed to pull myself out of the rut I was in. I had a little boy, and things were ok. I drank quite a bit (once an addict, always an addict) and smoked pot, until guess what...torn ligament in my knee. I made the mistake of NOT telling the doc that I was an addict and he handed me percs like they were candy for about 6 months. One day, I hobbled into the office and after the doc looked me over, he didn't hand me a scrip this time. I argued, he said no more. Uh oh...I of course went into withdrawl just like I was coming of the heroin again, which eventually led me to, guess where, heroin! Fortunately it was short lived. Suboxone was around, and I have been clean since 9-23-05 SUCCESSFULLY! Yes, it's expensive (my insurance will no longer cover the costs) but I figure Id be spending more on the streets.
Suboxone has been a life saver for me. I am a little girl with a BIG tolerance when it comes to opiates...not to mention I love them. I would probably be dead right now if it weren't for suboxone. I have NO cravings at all (4mg once a day). I just live normally, have a good job, and raise my son with love and attention. I have been on it for a little over a year and my sub doc has recently been asking me if I feel I'm ready to be tapered. I told him no. I think he respected that answer. I don't want to come off of it. Atleast not in the near future. I am too comfortable where I'm at right now and I'm worried that tapering will mean I start looking for replacements, as it has so many times before. My sister informed me the other day (who has the same issues with addiction as I do) that she is on suboxone permanently because she takes it for 'chronic pain'. I want to be on sub permanently, but I don't have chronic pain, just a chronic addiction! Question: how do I approach my doc with this suggestion, or should I just cross my fingers that he doesn't force me to taper eventually?

Post subject: Re: Stopping suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Masuka wrote:

Question:
(first a brief history)

I spent most of my teenage life addicted to heroin. After relapse after relapse, met clinic twice, and visiting a very popular (and expensive) doctor atleast 5 times in 5 years back when buprenorphine injections were the only thing available, I managed to pull myself out of the rut I was in. I had a little boy, and things were ok. I drank quite a bit (once an addict, always an addict) and smoked pot, until guess what...torn ligament in my knee. I made the mistake of NOT telling the doc that I was an addict and he handed me percs like they were candy for about 6 months. One day, I hobbled into the office and after the doc looked me over, he didn't hand me a scrip this time. I argued, he said no more. Uh oh...I of course went into withdrawl just like I was coming of the heroin again, which eventually led me to, guess where, heroin! Fortunately it was short lived. Suboxone was around, and I have been clean since 9-23-05 SUCCESSFULLY! Yes, it's expensive (my insurance will no longer cover the costs) but I figure Id be spending more on the streets.
Suboxone has been a life saver for me. I am a little girl with a BIG tolerance when it comes to opiates...not to mention I love them. I would probably be dead right now if it weren't for suboxone. I have NO cravings at all (4mg once a day). I just live normally, have a good job, and raise my son with love and attention. I have been on it for a little over a year and my sub doc has recently been asking me if I feel I'm ready to be tapered. I told him no. I think he respected that answer. I don't want to come off of it. Atleast not in the near future. I am too comfortable where I'm at right now and I'm worried that tapering will mean I start looking for replacements, as it has so many times before. My sister informed me the other day (who has the same issues with addiction as I do) that she is on suboxone permanently because she takes it for 'chronic pain'. I want to be on sub permanently, but I don't have chronic pain, just a chronic addiction! Question: how do I approach my doc with this suggestion, or should I just cross my fingers that he doesn't force me to taper eventually?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:D Hey all haven't posted yet figured this would be a good topic to start with. I've been taking Suboxone for now over 2 years constantly dreading the day when I'd have to stop and I was very convinced I'd have to stop from so many in 12-step programs pushing total abstinence and want to clarify not trying to bash that approach it's worked for many of my current friends. I'm starting to see though that quitting sometime soon may not be for me. The last 2 years have been absolutely wonderful I don't have everything I thought I would when I first got clean but I'm honestly happy and in utterly amazed by all the things I've been able to accomplish after years of using I wasn't sure that I could stick with anything long enough to see results. When I first entered treatment on the advice of close friend of the family who was an alcoholic I went for complete abstinence even got monthly naltrexone shots. It was shear hell for me though, insurance would only pay for one week max of treatment and so the detox was pretty rapid. When I got out I didn't get a full nights sleep for nearly a month as I refused any kind of sleep aid or any kind of chemical besides the naltrexone. I was horribly depressed, anxious, and in all honesty couldn't figure out how anyone could ever be happy at all the meetings I was going to. They always told me hang in there things get better and hoped against all hope that they would. Anyways 4 months went by like this and I stayed abstinent. School and work started and only had time for a few meetings a week and I for some reason started thinking more and more about using until eventually I had my relapse planned out. I was scared to death the way I used I was pretty sure I'd either end up dead, wrecking another car potentially killing someone else. I had a couple friends in the program who were on Suboxone who seemed to be doing better than I was with life and eventually I started thinking maybe I should give it a try rather than risk a relapse which I was really sure would happen eventually. After a Dr.s appt to recieve another Naltrexone shot I asked about it and after he explained that Sub was quite a bit different than Methadone I thought what can it hurt if there isn't much risk for abuse, makes me feel more normal, and might help with my continued depression, lack of sleep, extreme anxiety. During induction I was suprised to feel normal again I literally felt instant relief from all the horrible-ness that had been my life the last 4 months. Sorry to drag this on for so long what I'm trying to say is that at this point I'm still just enjoying feeling normal, if others want to give stopping a shot I say go for it all the more power to you and wish you much success. I think I'm however going to be ok for the time being and I've also realized that if someone is taking the medication as prescribed and having success (ie not using other drugs) then I'm not going to let others using abstinence make me feel bad about staying on Suboxone. I'm not sure when I'll stop and in reality I'm not sure I'm going to waste any more nights of sleep over it. The medication has been such a god send to me I hope you guys have found the same relief and success that I have and if you've decided to quit I also hope you have a good experience.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Trebuchet] [/font] I have been on Sub for nineteen months, and I have no plans of trying to get off of it. I don't get why so many people are in such a hurry to stop taking it, all I do know is that my life is a whole lot better because I am stablized. I have spent 25 years dealing with addiction, and I am only 35- I was addicted to food as a child til I was 29. I was using or abusing drugs since I was 16, and the damage has been done- I have a depression and anxiety disorder, everytime I tried to quit my meds, I wound up a wreck.
So, for me Suboxone and my psyc med give my brain what it needs to keep me in check, and I like being me today! It sure beats all the hell I have been through in the past. Instead of trying to see if it's possible to be totally drug free ( which is highly doubtful, it never worked before), I am happy with things this way.I am in college, newly married and very happy, and have a wonderful relationship with my teen daughter. Life is never perfect, but it sure is what you make of it, and with this disease, I am makin' it just fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking Suboxone since July 25, 2008. I started at 16mg for 2 days then as you say found my dose. I now take 8mg a day. I suffer chronic pain daily and with suboxone and a rather large quantity of ibuprofen 2400 mg a day, have been able to tolerate the pain level these two drugs relieve to. I decided to change some things I have been needing to change but didn't feel strong enough to change taking the amounts of pain meds, including smoking. I have began to eat healthier as well, even though i have gained some weight. I have even started going to the gym about 3 times a week. Recently, I turned my head to quickly and knew something was hurt, went to the ER and had an Xray done and of course i need to see a surgeon due to the narrowing in my spine. Which i did, and the only thing he suggests is surgery or taking pain meds for the pain which i just can't bring myself to do. I did however decide that taking a muscle relaxer like valium or soma could help. I am actually affraid to take those drugs that might interact badly with suboxone. I do see on here that several people are taking xanax with suboxone. I have not been able to find a site that could assure me that it is ok to take the muscle relaxer. Is there any side effects in taking suboxone and muscle relaxers? In my pain med addiction I did stray away from the recommended doses as my tolerance to the meds grew, however taking muscle relaxers were never a question to take as prescribed. The pain that I am in has progressed and has me thinking that I could take pain meds again even though I am fearful from all the horror stories you hear about the interaction and over dosing people do when they stop taking suboxone and return to pain meds. You just can't find anyone who has enough experience with suboxone and having to deal with illnesses that require other meds not including pain meds. It is primarly used for detox which now after searching i find that there is withdrawl symtoms from suboxone. I started on suboxone due to the fact that my tolerance was at level that no one in there right mind could maintain or get a dr to agree with. Before i had surgery the dr would give me 360 pain pills for a 4week period and that went on for about 3-6 months, then after surgery he lowered it to half that which still is alot. That continued until my insurance dropped me and i was forced to pay out of pocket for these amounts as well as seeing specialist that i could not afford without insurance. Then of course, i went to a dr they referred and kept tha going for about 3-4 yrs. It was something that totally became my life. Never, went anywhere if i couldn't take my meds with me or would run out while there which I was bound and determined not to let that happen. I didn't realize that i was addicted to the meds. I realized it when i saw someone else suffering from withdrawls. How the level of pain could not be determined when in withdrawls. Because withdrawls magnifies the pain at least ten times to actual.
However, as recent as about a month ago my pharmacy was unable to get there shipment and i was out of suboxone for about 3-4 days and didn't pick it up for another day or two and i had no withdrawls symtoms from that so i really don't know what to think. Your input would greatly appreciated. Any solid information i could get would be helpful or places or sites that i could research to find the answers as well. Thank you for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My sub Dr. prescriped me a muscle relaxent Flexeril. I take one before bed a few times a week for muscle cramps due to a destroyed liver.