It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Still Sick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm not sure where to start but I shall try. I have been on subutex for over a year and recently haven't been able to get it so I have suboxone currently. I tried taking two mgs under my tongue as per instructions but was only able to keep it in my mouth for a short period of time because my mouth fills up with spit around 2 minutes so I was forced to swallow the spit. I could still feel a little bit of the strip under my tongue so I left it there. A few minutes later I puked. So long story short about 45 minutes later I still am feeling crappy and having withdrawals. So I took another 2 mgs and tried keeping the spit in a little longer but it was awful. I even tried drying my mouth out with a paper towel before hand but still soo much saliva. So here I am STILL not feeling any better. What do I do? Obviously I can't turn off my spit :/ Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to be feeling like this. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Still Sick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know if this will help much, but Suboxone doesn't necessarily need to be under your tongue. Any mucus membrane in your mouth will absorb Suboxone. (cheeks, gums)

Also, I've found Suboxone isn't as strong as Subutex. If you were on 2mg of Subutex, you may need more than 2mg of Suboxone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I usually take about 1-2 mgs of subutex a day and usually dont feel withdrawals til the next day. I figured/hoped the 4mgs of suboxone would have made me feel better. Is there any way its because I don't leave it in my mouth for more than around 5 minutes? I read people usually keep it in for 20 minutes plus. I have even tried it recatally! (I HATE the taste so bad) and it made me feel somewhat better but not fully better. I just don't know what to do at this point. Suboxone is all I have for the next few days and would like to just feel somewhat better :/

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hey Carrie,

just to hit again on what Romeo said, when I used the Suboxone films, I found that placing it between my gum and cheek to be more effective than under my tongue and I could barely taste it as it dissolved also and it didn't produce nearly as much saliva, so I was able to leave it in for at least fifteen to twenty mins. so maybe give that a try until you can get subutex again. I hope you begin to feel better soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I should try placing it like below my teeth on the gum-line? My main issue is I just have so much spit and then start gagging so I have to either swallow or spit and then I feel like I just wasted it all. I wish I could just swallow the darn things!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

what worked well for me was placing the film between my gum and cheek on either the top or bottom, off to the side a bit like people put tobacco(dip). for me it produced much less spit that way, and i couldn't taste it as long as I keep my mouth closed and didn't talk. hope that helps you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you I will definitely have to give it a try. I just don't want to waste it if its not even going to make me feel better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

the medication, buprenorphine, in Suboxone is absorbed by all the mucus membranes in the mouth, not just the ones under the tongue. there is actually a company working on a bupe delivery system that will stick to the inside of the cheek to deliver the medication more efficiently. if you visit Suboxone talk zone. com, there is a search feature that you can use,type in optimizing absorption of buprenorphine to find the article about it written by this site's founder Dr. Junig.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Would I use that same method for the strips? Since I can't obviously crush them up. Also it was mentioned that you don't want a bunch of spit. It was said to start with a dry mouth. Well my mouth is NEVER dry even when I try to dry it out. Is that causing me problems? I appreciate the help!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you could use that method with the strips, and I have painted the inside of my mouth with the dissolved solution from the f ilms a time or two but I didn't f ind it necessary with the strips as long as I kept my mouth closed and the film between cheek and gums,i felt like I was receiving a sufficient dose, and wad even able to reduce my prescribed dose without any noticeable effects. in my case ,I felt I got better absorption with the films, but we're all different. it wasn't until I began taking subutex tablets that the optimizing absorption techniques were necessary for me personally, as I didn't feel like i was receiving the same amount of medication on the same dose. I was thinking that you could use the optimization techniques once you are back to getting your subutex. yes, excessive saliva can cause problems with absorption, perhaps you could try dosing at a time of day when your mouth isn't quite as moist. often I have a very dry mouth upon waking in the morning, so perhaps that would work for you also. other than that, the only other thing I can thunk if is found what you said earlier about drying your mouth with a paper towel just prior to dosing ti reduce the amount of saliva, but perhaps if you're able to dose the strips between your cheek and gum, the saliva may not be a problem because the medicine will be out of the flow of saliva, if that makes any sense. let us know how it goes, and hope it works out for you please. perhaps others will be along with more or better advice, but this is what personally worked for me.

By the way Carrie, welcome to our forum. We hope you find it helpful,I certainly did as a newcomer, and still do as an important part of my recovery. feel free to ask s many questions as you like, and ti post in other areas, to share a bit about your story if you like. This is the best, and certainly the most friendly and informative place for support for bupe patients that I've found on the web, and have learned so much from other members here and reading others posts. stick around! :-) Feel better soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply! I just woke up so needless to say I am not feeling very grand. I have a little bit of the strip left so I am trying to decide what to do. I was hoping my mouth would be a little dryer when I woke up but it is not lol. But once I wake up a little more I am going to give it another go.
I have everything crossed that it makes me feel better :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What would you say would be the minimum time I could leave it in my mouth? I am really struggling with this whole keeping it in my mouth for more than a few minutes. And the taste absolutely kills me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would say ti give it at least ten to fifteen mins. if you good it between gun and cheek on bottom out of saliva, taste should be minimal. let me know how it goes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I finally got my subutex today and after I took it I still don't feel 100% better. I don't know what on earth is wrong with me!! Anyone have any ideas as to why?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

During my time on Suboxone, if I got sick, I noticed my Suboxone not working very well. That may be going on with you?

Or, it's just going to take a bit for you to adjust back to the Subutex.

Hmmm, I wonder if the Naloxone in Suboxone was giving you trouble? It doesn't happen very often, but it seems over the years we've seen a few people who are pretty sensitive to Naloxone and they have a heck of time with Suboxone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Carrie - I think Romeo may be onto something. I know from my experience with my doc that some people do not handle the Naxalone in Suboxone very well. In fact my doc had me on Subutex for about a year thinking that my system couldn't handle (allergic?) the Naxalone. I wonder if now it is just going to take a little time to get the Naxalone out of your system??

"One man gathers what another man spills"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I have been feeling kind of crappy overall for about a week. I would get a cold when its 80 degrees outside haha but I used to have tons of problems when I was on suboxone I would get nightmarish headaches and puke for a few hours after I took it. I always just thought it was me. I took it for a long time just thinking I was just weird and would get used to it but it never happened. So thank goodness for subutex. Thank you guys for the help! Hopefully after I kick this sickness my medicine will start making me feel okay again.