It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for 2 years this time around. Suboxone has helped me in many ways and I don't discourage its use when needed. I am experiencing some problems from it, however, and would love any advice anyone can offer.

I am 37 yrs old, male, 6ft 1 inch and currently weigh around 166. I was clean 3 yrs ago for about a year and I looked great. Now, after almost 2 yrs on subs I am self conscious about how I look. When I see pictures of myself I can tell right away. I am naturally a slender guy but what I weigh now is 10 lbs below what I normally weigh when I am not on suboxone or any opiates. Although I am within my BMI my face looks skinny and my body too. I def don't look as attractive as when I was clean and my parents have asked me about it as well as some friends (none of whom know I'm on subs). When I met up with an old friend she was shocked at how skinny I looked.

2 months ago I was 158 (way too skinny! 20 pounds under my sober/clean weight) so I have actively been working very hard to get my weight up.
I have been trying many, many things. So, in the last 2 months this is what I've been doing:

-I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and ONLY do strength training (weights, bench press, pull ups, squats, etc) No cardio

-I eat a lot of protein and always drink a big protein shake after the gym

-I try to eat more in general. It's hard to tell if I'm really getting enough though cuz subs definitely kill my appetite. But I actively have been trying to be eating more.

-I try to stay hydrated, drink lots of water, no soda (i do drink coffee though, like 2 cups most days which is not great but I need that stuff haha)

-I eat before bed, something high protein, like greek yogurt or cereal w/ whole milk

-I get 6-8 hrs sleep most nights

-I have increased my fiber intake so that I now have healthy looking shit (pardon my french) instead of those opiate craps we all know about, the golf balls (haha)

-I have lowered by sub dose to around a quarter in the am and a quarter pill in the pm (so 4mgs a day total)
(I do slip up occasionally and take more but I've been pretty good)
I've even lately been trying to spit it out after like 7-10 mins instead of leaving it in for 30-40 mins.
On this lower dose I do wake up feeling a tiny, tiny bit of withdrawal (I wake up with that tossing/turning uncomfortable feeling, but not that bad)

So, after doing allll this (and believe me, eating a lot is kind of a pain cuz my appetite isn't so huge) I have managed to go up from 157-159 to a fluctuating weight around 166-168 . I still can't get that last 8-10 lb.s on that I need. My face looks skinny and not as good as before. I don't know what it is that is stopping me from gaining the rest but it's annoying as hell. I wanna quit the subs but I did that before and it took me like 1 month of feeling like total shit and another month feeling not good before I could function. And that was in a rehab. Can't do that out here and go to work etc.

My sub doc says I'm fine, that I'm within my BMI so she doesn't really care. But I think I'm gonna ask her for the med that a forum member qhorsegal2 mentioned: Megace. It's an appetite stimulant. Maybe that will help. Cuz this is a constant battle, reminding myself to eat all the time even when I don't feel like it. The gym stuff is positive. I was way skinnier before in the arms and chest, at least that has improved a bit but still I do not look normal.

My final thought is that maybe there is no way around this. After all, suboxone is a strong drug and it affects our bodies in many ways. Maybe the only way to truly look like myself is to get off it.

Thanks for reading my long post. Please offer any suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:05 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yeah me too!! I'm a slim size but I was in methadone for a couple years and I put on a good 15 pounds and I loved it. But I started suboxon almost three months ago and I lost 10pounds first month so I tappered down fast and just jumped off at .50ml
But some people say it makes you gain weight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 am 

I'm telling you! Milkshakes! Having ice cream will not make you unhealthy with all the other things you are doing. Doctors advise ice cream for women who are pregnant and not gaining enough weight. It sounds like you need extra calories. Get them!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The topic of weight issues related to Suboxone use has been discussed here many times. Most people have the opposite problem that we do, in that they say they gain weight. I can relate with the frustration of losing pounds on it. My weight loss started with my active addiction, and when I started subs I gained a few pounds, but not enough to get me back to a normal weight range.

I posted awhile back about finally taking an appetite stimulant called megace which helped me tremendously. I held my new weight for about 4 months after taking a two month course of it, but did wind up dropping back down again after taking it. To be honest, my appetite just isn't normal when I'm on any opiates. I don't think it is specific to subs for me, but it could be for others.

During my research before I started megace I did come across a few more natural appetite stimulants. I remember that dandelion root was one of them, and I think ginger root and spearmint were the others. You can go to any good health food store that sells all those vitamins and ask for recommendations. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm going to soon if I don't go back on the megace for a bit. All the steroids in the megace made me retain water like crazy, and a few other side effects that I'm not looking forward to going through again. I think if I had tried harder to maintain my weight after I stopped taking it I would have done better. But, like you mentioned it's just a pain in the butt trying to eat more than you really want to when you have no appetite!

I do find it kind of strange that some people gain on subs and some people lose. I think it has something to do with what our natural tendencies are. I have always struggled to keep a healthy amount of weight on, and it was just magnified when I went into addiction. I have just accepted that I will have to put up with this particular side effect until I'm ready to taper.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didn't see Amy's post before I submitted mine. She's right, for me it is 100% related to the amount of calories I am taking in. The milkshakes are a good idea. Maybe we can add some protein powder to the milkshakes and make it even better?

Q

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for the tips guys. I will try the milkshake thing for sure..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I talked to my sub doc yesterday about this and he said that although weight issues are usually just related to the amount of calories you take in it also could be that the medication (Bupe) speeds up your metabolism (so, now the same amount of food doesn't cut it anymore) or also due to the meds giving you an overactive thyroid where weight loss is a side effect.
He prescribed me Megace, an appetite stimulant usually for people w/ cancer, but when i went to fill the script my insurance wouldn't cover it and the out of pocket cost was... $800. Yup, so THAT wasn't happening.
So I'm back to square one, still 10-15 lb.s underweight and being told by all my friends and family that I look skinny and not healthy.
The only option for me is to stay like this or get off the subs. I know how terrible that is. It took me 2-3 months to feel normal last time.
I literally CAN'T do that because of work.
Damn. This sucks...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sunrises,

I had the same issue with insurance when I tried to fill my first script for Megace. The doctor had written me a prescription for the 80mg, which there is no generic for. We got around the issue by having him change my prescription to the 40mg suspension and just doubling the dose from 1tsp. to 2tsp. per day. The generic form of this is called Megestrol. Check into it before you give up! I was freaking out when they tried to charge me something like $700 for that prescription! The generic form in the lower mg's only costs me $5 for a months supply. I've gone back on it this month again and I'm having great results this time around with fewer side effects.

Hope this helps!

Q

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, I just remembered...About a month ago I was talking to my pharmacist about the side effects I had from the Megace and he asked me if I had tried any other appetite stimulants besides this one. He named off two others that were commonly used that he said worked in a similar fashion to megace. I would be happy to call him and get those names for you if you can't get them to approve the Magestrol for you.

Just let me know.

Q

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey I wanted to offer some advice if you're saying you're too skinny. I'm an amateur bodybuilder so I know how to eat to gain weight. You need to eat at least twice the amount you eat now and more frequently like 8 meals a day to gain weight and keep a journal of what you ate and only weigh yourself weekly. Now training should be less reps and heavier than your usual workout in order to see significant gains. This should help and good luck

Pistolpete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey....I wanna be on the suboxone that makes you lose weight!!

I do think that opiates seem to curb your appetite . All kinds. At least that is my experience.

So I would keep a food diary. And make a conscious effort to add more health calories.

The subs made me lose weight but just about 10 lbs so it put me at a normal thin weight but not unhealthy.

GNC or other health food stores have lots of shakes and weight enhancers there.

Good luck to you!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Weight gaining shakes are mostly crap and can be expensive if you follow the instructions on how and when to drink them. You're better off spending it in food like high calorie foods you're lean so you don't have to worry about the fat content McDonald's Burger King steaks and potatoes burgers pizza eat it all trust me it will help

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm 

I am not sure the Suboxone has anything to do with weight loss or gain. Drugs affect each individual differently so it may indeed be the culprit.

Just please be careful trying to gain weight. Stay away from artery clogging foods in general. A small increase in your portion size should put some pounds on nice and gradually. If you smoke, quit. That one is guaranteed to put some weight on you. Look at other things you're ingesting like caffeine or any other stimulants and stop those.

Like Razor, I wish Suboxone made me lose some weight. But mother nature has her own rules regarding getting older and putting on pounds. It's a constant fight to keep them off. My dang sweet tooth is just too powerful!

Good luck to you in gaining back some weight. Try one of those high calorie Ensure drinks added to your existing diet and see if that helps.

rule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Megace is a steroid, not good for long term use. I think just eating more high calorie foods is the way to go.

I was very thin before I went on methadone...I gained approx 40-50 lbs in 8 years. Methadone turned me into sugar junkie. It was nothing for me to eat an entire box of cocoa puffs in one sitting. And I'm only 5'7" with a small frame. So yeah, I was pretty overweight on methadone. Since stopping it 3 weeks ago today, I've lost almost 30 lbs.

I'm hoping if I decide to use subs that it won't make me gain weight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:01 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I think you are not taking proper nutrients into your meal. If you want to look good then you must take care about your diet. If you don’t like veggies and fruits then I would suggest you to drink Green drink every day. Try to make this your habit!