It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lillyval wrote:
Hi cire, 4 mg is usu. considered the minimum dose to be at the ceiling level. Maybe it's not enough for you. You might need 6 and maybe as much as 8 mg. Also, at doses under 4 mg (you might be taking 2 mg 2x/day) the bupe acts like a full agonist and doesn't have the 36 hour half life. So splitting a low dose like 4 mg might not be a good idea. If you are feeling WD don't be afraid to increase your dose a little. 8 mg / day really isn't a very high dose. When I was on maintenance I was on 12mg, and I wasn't coming off a huge opiate habit.
Good luck,
Lilly

Can anyone tell me more information if this part is true or not:

"at doses under 4mg the bupe acts like a full agonist and doesn't have the 36 hour half life."

I have never heard that about any drug...that the half life differs depending on how much you take. Is it true that the half life might be different for different dosages? I've always thought the half life was the same no matter how much of the drug you take.

Thanks,
T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lillyval is correct - in fact that entire statement is correct. It's because sub is a partial agonist and has a "ceiling effect" that in low doses it acts like full opiate agonists. As for the half-life, it's simply that at really low doses, you just don't have enough in your system to last that long. It's why when people are tapering and get to really low doses that many doctors (including Dr. J) recommend twice daily dosing. Hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, I've never heard that about recommending twice a day dosing for people who are on lower mgs. That's good to know because I am at less than 4mg now, and I was thinking about changing my dosing to only once a day, even though I prefer twice a day because it does help me with my pain. I will stick to what I'm doing then. Thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know dosing can be very confusing, Taurus. If you take it for pain, it's also a whole different game. When it comes to analgesia, sub's pain properties only last on average 4-6 hours, so we pain patients usually dose between 2-3 times a day. But for people who only take sub for addiction, ideally dosing should be only once daily.

And yes, when people get to really low doses, usually under 1-2 mg, then some people (not all) really need to split their doses. Dr. Junig does recommend that. Of course when tapering that second dose will have to be dropped eventually as well, so keep that in mind, too.

Again, I know it's confusing. None of us learned this stuff overnight. I learned what I do know about sub (and I'm surely no expert!) from this forum and from Dr. Junig and my own research. It took me a good long while to get some of this stuff. Have you read much of Dr. Junig's blog (Suboxone TalkZone)? There's a link to it on the top of each page of the forum. It goes back years and they are ALL great blog posts. I always learn something when I read or even re-read his posts.

I hope this helps, even a little. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.