It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:22 am 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]
Hello Everyone!
I am new to this site and was very happy to stumble upon it. I will keep this short and to the point. I have been on Suboxone for 5 years now. I have 5 children....two of which are the ages of 3 and 2. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works a high stress level job where he travels a lot for business. There have been times during these 5 years where I felt I was ready to tapper off Subs but as I tapered the harder it became to function. Horrible depression and anxiety was an everyday thing. Soon after having my last two children I again thought I was ready to tapper only to have the OCD kicked in on top of the anxiety and depression. I can't seem to get down passed 6 mgs. with out feeling like everything I have worked so hard for is slipping from my grasp. my biggest fear is that there is a time frame that they will only allow a patient to be on subs for so long or that there soon will be and that I would be forced to tapper off in a rapid manner. I cant imagine what it will feel like and I don't think I want too. But also I am worried that there may be some sort of medical issues that can develop from being on this medication for long term. You see to me, being on suboxone keeps me clean just like insulin keeps a diabetic alive. Is it possible that Suboxone has become my "insulin"? Will I not be me anymore if I tapper off? Has anyone been on Suboxone for over 5 years and has been taken off the program and felt this way??? Is there anyone out there who plans to stay on it for life???
Thanks for listening guys!
Any advice is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you have reason to beleive your doctor will make you come off at some point? There are alot of people who have decided to do lifetime maintenance on suboxone. I know there are doctors out there who support this position, you might have to look around a little and find one who is willing to do it for you. It doesn't sound like you are ready to taper to me, but I can assure you that if you get ready it is possible. This is something that you are going to have to decide for yourself. Whether you want to be a lifer or plan on tapering at some point. The fear you are describing is perfectly normal. But I think you should talk to your doctor and address your concerns with them. It might help to alleviate some of your fears and let you move forward more peacefully.

-Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am planning on doing the lifetime Suboxone treatment. I have a feeling that I will always be addicted to opiates my whole life so why not treat the problem. Suboxone works great for me and I don't have any problems taking it.

I personally suffer from depression and I know that I am going to have to take an anti-depressant my whole life so why not take a Suboxone afterward to treat the addiction problem too. It makes me a better person. A better mother so YES I AM A LIFER!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I plan to be on or for life. With a doctor who does not normally support lifetime maintainance. She has seen the light with me and I will be the third patient she has ever left on it long term her whole career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I, too, have no immediate plans for coming away from Suboxone. I sometimes feel like I'm not accomplishing anything by staying on some sort of drug indefinitely, but I just know if I did taper down from sub, and had a medical problem that called for opiate pain relief...I would be right back at square one and have really done myself nothing but harm in my 5 year journey.

I took my last opiate on July 7, 2008...it was the last time that I tried to smell an 80mg oxycontin (this was before they supposedly changed the way they are made, someone told me now you can't smell of them anymore...)

I was actually teetering between Sub when I could afford it, and opiates because I couldn't stay in Suboxone.
The doctor I first got sub from was at a methadone clinic...and my treatment was held hostage for money...he had a rule that if I couldn't come every week and hand him $160 plus cost of meds (with no insurance at the time) that I didn't deserve to be treated....and if I missed two appts, I would be removed from the clinic. Don't get me wrong, I went through the entire 3 days of no opiates before going into sub treatment...and felt that warming sensation once I got suboxone in my system..almost instantly after I dissolved 12mg of the pill-form...it was like life was flowing through me again. Now I just maintain on the med..usually 12-16mg daily...
After a couple months of toying around between sub and full opiates, I got serious and got into a doctors office where he prescribed sub...and it's been ever since.

I recently left a doctor that I was with for the past 3 years because he punished me for nothing...a bit of a story, but my daughter broke her ankle, had a doctor appointment in the SAME building as my doctor...and her appointment was 1 week before my scheduled appt...I called and asked about moving mine just to save resources (since it's an hour drive)...told them the situation with my daughter being next door, and asked could I move my appt to coincide with hers..."sure, no prob".
The doctor accused me of being out of meds, taking too much, and refused to call the pharmacy to verify that I still had some meds left on my script...and he reduced me to a stringent amount (which messed me up on insurance because I had to make that last a certain number of days, even if I changed doctors)...
I even faxed in the receipt showing the amount I picked up 4 days later, and called them...was told they mentioned to the doctor what he had done to me, and he didn't say anything...so he basically just didn't care.
That was my queue to get out of there. I was already at a point where every appt was just bringing me in, asking was there any change, and giving me a piece of paper. No discussion, no nothing. A urine test once every 4 months or so....that was it. And he was out of my network on insurance...which meant he costs more...
So I fired him...and went to a new doctor last week. She is an older lady who's very nice and actually listened to me...when I explained my history and how Suboxone helped me...she agreed that I was doing good with it and should continue without trying to mess with it the way it is...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject: Been Awhile
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:07 pm 

Hey jonathananm1978,

Good to see you back posting again, it's been awhile since you popped in. Out of bad comes some good, as the saying goes. In your situation it appears that changing doctors worked out in your favor. Lucky for you, there was another Sub doctor available. We hear of so many members that only have one doctor in town that can prescribe Sub, so they feel stuck. Not everyone lives in a large enough city to have a choice of Dr's. Glad it worked out for you.

Don't be such a stranger.

R62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am far from living in a large city though...I just have the means to drive around from the southern part of birmingham to the east side of the city...I don't really have any time constraints on me when it comes to doctor visits...since I'm a stay-home dad, that's usually one of the 3-4 times a month that I get out of the house. It's a small area for about a 25-mile radius around me, so for the past 28 years that I've lived here, when someone says they are going into the city...it usually mean Birmingham or Montgomery, since it's about the same distance to either one. Montgomery's route just has more hills and less 4-lane...or no 4-lane i should say...so usually people just head to Bham.

I've been going to Birmingham since 2011 for my dr visits...but it's been just barely inside where the city starts ...I hit 3 red lights and I"m there....but my new doctor...9 red lights, then turn onto I-459...459 for 12 miles, then I-59...I-59 for 4 miles, then 6 red lights and I'm there...

Went from 45 minutes to my doc to being 1hr 15/25 minutes, depending on traffic. I'll try to visit more often...Just because I quit coming here doesn't mean I quit studying and trying to gain knowledge on Suboxone...so along with my 5 years of consistent Suboxone treatment, I have NUMEROUS hours of reading under my belt.
I still have vices with my wife because she's never been addicted to anything except maybe coffee...and she doesn't quite understand the disease part of this all...even after all the years I've been clean / sober and a totally different person from what I was before. The most recent "spat" was when I changed doctors...she thinks I should be able to just stop...and isn't fond of taking ANYTHING ...but we usually only have that disagreement about twice a year.

June 6 will be 15 years we've been making it work...and still going strong. So I doubt it's divorce or separation material...but I'd like for her to understand more about my situation and the fear I have of ever being subjected to opiates again, or the withdrawals they bring afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial Black] [/font]
Hi,
I hope to be able to continue to take the small dosage for life. At first, I thought my Dr. who is an addictionologist, would take me off of it within 6 months, however, to my pleasant surprise, he didn't. I've had problems with depression and prior to being on suboxone, numerous relapses/withdrawals. It must be 4-5 years already..I'm not sure, but I just feel normal. My depression and anxiety attacks are under control as well as my cravings for any pain pills and even alcohol for some reason. My life has changed so much for the better since I've continued taking them.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with any person taking any medication for life if it improves the quality of their life and it's not hurting them in anyway. I'm also taking another medication much longer than suboxone that I hope to be on for the rest of my life even after so many people have tried to convince me to try and get off them, except the psychiatrist that originally prescribed them. I've been taking 1 mg of Klonopin for decades now and they have erased my once severe panic/anxiety attacks. Why should I stop something that works for me? I DO know that I have to be very careful combining suboxone and klonopin - and I am as I have not increased either dose for as long as I've been taking them.

I don't really care what others opinions are regarding these 2 medications. They work and I hope to take both for the rest of my life along with aciphex for a hiatal hernia. I'm at the age where I do not want to go through any kind of difficult detox. Just don't want to go there and I feel if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I've taken control of my life with a little help from my Drs. and a few medications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OP ... In your case I think it's just a matter of being up front with your doctor. If you foster an open relationship with your prescribing doc, and can talk to them as you are talking to us now, I think a lot of your fear of being booted off the program will be relieved.

People with concurrent psychiatric and addiction issues such as yourself can find it incredibly difficult to live without life long maintenance. It's not impossible, but it does make it more difficult to achieve a life of abstinence. Even in the AA big book they speak of people with "grave emotional and mental disorders" who struggle to achieve abstinence. One of the staff at one of the rehabs I went to even went as far as saying he thought I'd be one of the last people to "get it", given my psychiatric history. He shared that at my 1 year NA birthday, and I relapsed one month later after I descended into a state of paranoid depression thanks to my bipolar. Lovely stuff.

There are some negatives to long term Sub though. It definitely causes issues with your endocrine functioning. For guys, testosterone levels can take a dive after staying on Sub for a certain period. Some long-term subbers on this board get by only with hormone replacement therapy. There's even some members in their 20's who need to take testosterone! Poor endocrine functioning can actually contribute to depression and hit your motivation.

Post subject: Talking with my Dr.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,
I already have a very open relationship with my prescribing doc although we never specifically discussed the 'forever' option although I think that he would be in agreement with it. What I sometimes wonder is what happens when he may not be able to prescribe them to me anymore. I don't expect him to retire any time soon, but he is almost 75 and he has to retire sometime. However, within the same medical group, he also has a son who has followed in his footsteps. I am assuming that his son will pick up where he left off - at least that's what I hope. I live in SF, but even here it's not easy to find a Dr. that prescribes and is covered by your insurance.

I know my Dr. is aware of my concurrent psychiatric issues (mainly in the past) which is why he has not taken me off the suboxone. I was VERY surprised when he had no problem with my taking both klonopin & Suboxone at the same time. Some Drs. do not allow that. But I take such a low dose that he says it's not significant. He monitors 3 important medications. Suboxone, Klonopin, and Prozac. I take a small dose of each and I'd like to keep it that way.

You talked about testosterone. Since I am a woman, I have not noticed any problems with my endocrine functioning. My desire has lessened but I alway thought that was because of the prozac (maybe both). Again, the side effect is not that significant.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think a LOT of people who would prefer long-term treatment are under the impression that their doctor is aligned with their thoughts on it, without directly having a discussion regarding it. While it would be ideal for every doctor to be on the same page with Suboxone treatment, most aren't...and most have this 'take it for XXX period, and you'll be cured' mindset. I'm not sure where that comes from...maybe they should be more clear when doctors take the class on it in regards to longevity...and the likelihood of relapse if a person is treated with Suboxone in the manner one would treat a cold or fever... I doubt VERY seriously that I'll wake up one morning and say "wow, today I'm cured of my addiction and no longer need anything...in fact, I can probably take some opiates for pain during dental work....." <----famous last words before falling into a horrible relapse of epic proportions.

I haven't spoken with my current doctor about long-term treatment, mostly because I just had my first appointment with this particular doctor in May...and this month (the 10th), I didn't mention anything either because I had to change my appt from the 11th at 10am, to the 10th at 5pm because of our vacation plans that we couldn't alter. Seeing a different doctor means it would've been almost pointless to mention it...but the little discussion that I DID have with the "fill-in" doctor wasn't along the lines of my thinking... When I said something about Suboxone saving my life, and how well I had been doing with it the last couple of years, he said "well, the ideal thing would be to get you to a point where you come off of it completely.."

When he told me that, I was like "eh well...not discussing anything with him if he feels that way."
That's the same exact thing as thinking that I'll get up one day and suddenly won't be an addict anymore. I believe long-term, that I would be better off with Suboxone permanently helping me than to be subjected to inevitably taking an opiate down the line in the future, and dragging my health and my family into a downward spiral.

I will eventually discuss this with my assigned physician...since I was seeing one of the 4 doctors in the facility that I am in, I prob won't see this doctor, and will see the one that I should've seen Tuesday had I not needed to move my appointment back 1 day..
I think I can probably talk to my doctor and get her to understand my feelings..if not, then I'll stay with thiem a

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[quote="jonathanm1978"]I think a LOT of people who would prefer long-term treatment are under the impression that their doctor is aligned with their thoughts on it, without directly having a discussion regarding it. While it would be ideal for every doctor to be on the same page with Suboxone treatment, most aren't...and most have this 'take it for XXX period, and you'll be cured' mindset.

I can't be 100% positive that my Dr. & I are on exactly the same page but I sense that we are. He has never alluded to the fact that his hopes are to see me off of suboxone plus he trusts me as he should because I have never taken more than I am prescribed. In fact, my Dr. gave me more suboxone just in case I feel the need to take 2 tablets instead of one per day. I don't usually, but occasionally I do which would cause me to run out early if my Dr. did not increase the quantity of Sub per month.

I hesitate to bring up the conversation of longevity because he hasn't. When and IF he does, I will be truthful about my feelings of wanting to continue lifetime maintenance. I don't want to go back to the life I had many years ago with relapsing on pain pills. I believe he understands this plus he understand my background with depression/anxiety.

He is actually the 2nd Dr. that has prescribed suboxone to me. The first one was awful and primarily in it for the money, IMO. I hardly ever saw him but he required me to see his Assistant for counseling whose credentials were questionable. Luckily, he was under the umbrella of my insurance as well. What happened with him is that I made mistake in that one night I took more klonopin than I was supposed to. I was honest about it, but the penalty was choose between klonopin and suboxone, period. I couldn't nor did I want to - so he refused to treat me anymore. So much for being honest.

When I met my current Dr. while I was detoxing at a hospital and took suboxone for the first time, I was told that he too prescribed suboxone but the word was that he would only keep you on it for 3 months or so. At the time, that was good enough for me, but for some reason, I was very surprised when he kept me on it. I addressed this with him and he felt that with my history of depression and relapsing that I would be better off on it long-term. And long-term it has been. I don't know if forever is equivalent to long-term as far as he is concerned, but it has not been brought up. I visit him every 3 months and he just wants to know that I'm doing ok on the amount I'm taking, etc. It was me who told him that I felt I could probably get to 1 tablet (now film) per day but he still gives me 2 per day (just in case).

That story about your daughter really got me angry. There has to be trust between you and your Dr. and obviously your Dr. didn't trust anybody and that would make me want to run as well. It sounds like the first Dr. I had and you don't need that kind of stuff.

Drs. who prescribe suboxone normally have more compassion and understanding of why we feel suboxone has saved our lives and why we feel like staying on it forever. So many other medications are taken forever to treat a disease. I've been very lucky with my 2nd doctor and I wish you the same.