It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been Suboxone for one year and five months now, my life is amazing. I started a business, have my family back including a son I lost for seven years because of my addiction. Last time I was on Suboxone I weaned off and was clean for 5 months, then a breakup and a cracked tooth, a trip to the dentist and I was off and running again. I have been an addict for close to thirty years on one drug or another, opiates for the last ten. I guess what I am wondering how many people out there have been on Suboxone for more than two years? And how many have been on it for several years and were successful in getting off after that much time? I don't feel ready to be off, but I don't want to be making it worse for myself when I am ready. I really don't want to go back to that place, I love my life now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The thing in your post that jumped out at me is your long drug use history. Often people with that long a history and so many relapses, just stay on sub indefinitely. Why risk your life with relapse when you're doing so well? That's not to say that you couldn't still come off it when you feel you're ready. Some people say the longer one is on sub, the harder it is to go off it, however, I've never seen any studies to back that up. If you are doing well on suboxone - and you are - why mess with a good thing? I say this because with your history, you're at an extremely high risk of relapse. I don't know if this helps at all - I hope it does.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thanks for reply
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the reply Hatmaker, I have done alot of research after my Dr. That was prescribing Subs. For me got his license pulled for being a pill mill. Then I was referred to a rapid wean place. I told them I didn't think I was ready and they told me it was all in my head. They were good people with alot of good tips and methods to get people off, but the thought of it scared me. For one,,to be forced to taper off when I am not ready in my heart as well maybe my head, and second my business includes me going to peoples homes when they are not home, and I know there are scripts in those homes that would be of interest, I'm sure if I am sick or even board. I am going to a new Dr. This morning. I hope he listens to what I say, and gives me more time to live my great life, before he says he wants me off.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Tapering off
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what you wrote, I really do not think it would be smart to taper off right now. No way! Look, there are people on Sub for years who do eventually get off. I've started to notice a pattern with some people, people like my BFF who is tapering off Sub right now and is almost off. She had a crazy opiate habit and over a dozen spinal surgeries, etc. She was taking Sub 'forever'. That basically meant she was taking it and not worrying about getting off. Then, after some years on it and a lot of things changing in her life, she started to taper because it's just time. She never expected she'd even want to stop Sub. It just happened by itself. I think if your life is going well and you pretty much know you are likely to relapse, well, then it's quite ridiculous to take that chance. And also, I do not at all believe in doctors forcing people off, instead of letting people make that choice for themselves. It seems to be the most likely way to succeed in failing (relapsing). If you know you aren't ready, stick to your guns.

laddertipper