It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm starting my suboxone tomorrow after over 15 years of vicoden abuse. I am scared to death but I have to do it.
Just came across this site and it has somewhat calmed my nerves.
Anyway, I guess i'll be checking in to get more info as I need it.
I just pray this is what I need.

Agape!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations on your decision.
Definately take time to do all your research both here and all over the web.

DO you suffer from Legitimate pain or was this recreationally mainly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations on your decision.
Definately take time to do all your research both here and all over the web.

DO you suffer from Legitimate pain or was this recreationally mainly?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes, I have chronic pain syndrome brought on by a fractured back in 1995. I have been in pain ever since but have been unable to find a 'compassionate' doc to administer the amount of meds I need to lead a semi-normal quality of life.
So, rather than continue to waste money and traveling all over the USA looking for the right doc, I have decided to just rid myself of the meds and try to learn to live with the pain (of possible).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im sorry to hear about your back problems. I too have a medical condition which I self medicated to relieve the pain. My advise which I should of given myself would be to sit with both your pain dR as well as a detox/suboxone DR and talk about why you want to get off the opiates. I have found myself in a predicament where I do not want to get high off the drugs or live that lifestyel but occasionallly have severe pain from my condition. Once you start the Suboxone though getting any immediate pain relief from traditional pain meds simply will not work the way it is supposed to. It is a blessing in a lot of ways but even if your past the "recreational addiciton part" you are kind of screwed should you need real pain relief.
I did not speak to my primary about going on Suboxone becuse I got all my pain meds illicitly and now am having issues with both Drs because of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I told my suboxone doc at out first meeting last week right up front that I had chronic back pain and I had been getting my pain meds both from local md and from other sources such as internet docs, etc.
The internet sources made it so simple to get what i needed/wanted but the cost was horrific. I can still get meds from 'internet docs' but as you may know, a new law just came into effect stating that one must meet with the doc 'face to face' at least 1 time per year. I just made a trip to South Florida that cost me nearly $1000. That yeilded me a script for 90 per month. I will still need to call in every 2 months at a cost of almost $200 per phone consult. I need to stop this cycle for many reasons. I think I am using the meds mainly for recreational purposes now but I do indeed have severe pain at times. It was my initial doc at a major Universitys pain management center near my home years ago who told me about the internet docs. He could prescribe 8 to 10 vics per day but I would have to take a 4 hour trip every month to see him. He suggested the internet docs for convience, which they were up until recently. He said that he had no problem prescribing me 10 per day if that would increase the quality of my life. He was the most caring and compassionate doc I have ever had. He died a few years ago so going back to him would be out of the question now.
I am sorry for rambling but as you can tell I am very concerned... not just for me but for my family. I have children in school and a wife who doesn't really understand what I am going through. I have taken the rest of the week off from work just in case I have problems with the transition but now I am worried that may not be enough time. Don't think i'll be sleeping much tonight. Just took my last vic around 10 minutes ago and have none on order or due for a refill so theres no turning back now. I have never purchased off the street and never would. Too scared of what may be in that junk.
Anyway, thanks for letting me bend your ear. I think it helps somewhat.
God bless you and yours!
Here I go!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It sounds to me like you are ready to go for it. I say GO FOR IT!! Suboxone is wonderful in a lot of ways and allthough Ive only been on it for a few weeks I hardly ever get the craving for other "party" opiates. It will kill the withdrawals very well. Only problem I really have is I find myself wanting to dose mre than I need to only because Im used to dosing multiple times per day with oxy's etc. It does not yield the same effects and am slowly realizing that. It is a learning curve too. I only hope my Suboxone Dr will understand my latest predicament. I do not get the impression that he really truly cares about helping people as much as he cares about writing scripts it seems. I hope you have a Dr who is vry understanding and is willing to work with you through out this battle.
Best of luck and do touch back once youve become inducted etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Don't worry! Suboxone has saved my life more times than I can count. Of course, there is a catch. The Sub will only work if you take it. This might sound obvious, but I've found that missing or skipping doses has always led me onto uncertain ground in the past. Be vigilant about it.
About the pain...
Although I'm only 19, I've got aches and pains all over my body, especially in my knees. Nothing that I have ever needed medication for. However, I personally believe that using opiates lowers your tolerance to pain substantially. I guess you get so used to being numb, that when you feel pain while you're sober, it seems unbearable and intolerable. Don't worry! I think the Suboxone may help to manage the pain, as that's what it's been used for prior to treating addiction.

I'm sure you're going to do great! You can PM me if you need more advice, I've been on the stuff for 13 months now.

Post subject: you will be fine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

the scariest part is going through the littel withdrawal, you need to go through to get on the suboxone. Once the doc gives you the suboxone, you will be amazed how fast it takes the withdrawals away. the doc I go to the Nurse there is awesome, when I first went in there she explained to me your brain is the biggest fault. Although you get over the physical addiction in about 7 days, the mental part is the hardest to overcome. Boy is she right!! Someone posted that they find themselves wanting to keep taking them throughout the day because that is what we are all used to. the way my doc set it up for me was do what is comfortable. In otherwords, if you take 2 mg in the morning and your ok until mid afternoon and you feel you need another 2 mg then do it. then lets say evening time you normally popped another opiate of your choice, so then pop another 2 mg suboxone at that time. This helped me a lot!! The first time I took it the doctor told me I had to take it all in the AM. that did not work because my mind kept telling me I needed to pop something. the biggest and scariest part of it all is that you have to get used to the fact after it is all said and done (even the suboxone) is that you aren't popping a pill everyday.

I took opiates for energy, I never ever had any pain. I actually had a friend tell me how great the energy rush was. Her exact words were take it and stand up do not sit down. My first one I loved it!! Well 3 years later I realized I had a problem taking 15-20 a day.

Just remember to fight the mind part of it. Hopefully in your situation it will take care of the pain as well.

A good supportive doctor helps, not one that just prescribes it and says see you later. Make sure you have a good doctor.

My only trouble is now, I am fighting to get off the suboxone, but it is not nearly as bad as getting off opiates. I just need a little more time alone without the kids around. I need about a week to be able to totally veg out an have responsibilities or anything.