It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ok I read it again. At first I thought it could be too much or too little with just nausea, but with the blues added in its when I thought is not enough. Personally I would take 8mg at once, make sure you place it far back under your tongue. What you induce on does not mean you stay there forever, and everyone is different. I'm 100 pounds and have always had a high tolerance for everything, so don't let what you think is too big of a dose stop you from inducing properly and getting relief. If you have insurance I would highly recommend trying suboxone film if it's still nor working. . Some people, including myself, have had absorption issues with generic subut ex and generic suboxone pills. A lot of people say is in our heads, but I had it in my head that it would be the same. I did some research on this and different companies use different fillers that some people don't absorb properly. So do as your doctor says, 8 then see how you feel maybe skip the last and try strips. Oh, zubsolv didn't work for me either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Although I'm new to this, I've pretty much spent 3 solid days reading, reading and reading everything available about Sub and withdrawal and opioids and...well, a bit obsessively probably. Anyway, after my own doubts of being prescribed too much I ended up following my Dr's instructions - 16 mg split into two does twice a day. I felt good, maybe even very good Friday and up to Sat evening. I was craving Sat evening and most of Sunday and part of yesterday. I'm feeling much better today. Given the timeline with Methadone, my DOC, that is about when I would have experienced the greatest withdrawal symptoms. I am very glad I listened to the pros here and took my full dose. I was able to put the craving aside after 15 min or so of distraction. Sunday was my worst day, headaches, anxiety, sweating like crazy! I considered taking more sub but didn't cave. I talked myself down saying if this is the worst you feel on day 4 of no methadone...that is awesome! I hope you feel better and work yourself up to the full dose prescribed. From reading the discussions here, it's easier to cut back on the larger doses than the smaller so once you stabilize perhaps revisit the dosage. Good luck and I'll be here if you need to vent or scream or cry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day three ..... Just not feeling myself at all.

Started with 4mg and feeling very uptight, continuing nausea and the blahs continue. Went back to bed and feeling a little, but not much better. I'm afraid to dose more than the 4mg at one time, even though dr said to go with 6mg then 4 mg then 6 more at night. 18 mg seems so much and I am afraid it will make me worse, I haven't exceeded 10 mg in each of the two and now three days.

I really thought I'd be doing better than this.......

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

Quick update : feeling a little better now, I guess I need to remember it takes an hour for the medicine to kick in? Not great, but at least was able to get out of bed (for the second time today) and try to get some work and housework done.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:45 am 

Louggone, if it were me i would take more at this point not less. Your dr says 16mgs. Your taking 10. From what this thread says to me is your just not over the hump yet. You should be feeling much better now. IMO your shorting yourself. 4mgs is an ok start but this amount is believed to be right at the ceiling effect. To read more on this go to dr Js Talkzone and seach Dosing or Ceiling. I know it is early, and many people feel wonderful that first day. But three days in Id hope you would be getting all that Bupe can offer. Im confident that this will indeed happen for you. The important thing is to keep taking it daily and it ll all work out. As someone already has ststed, were not all the same and for some it just takes louger to stabize. Oh and as Pugmommy said, switching to the films may be a better formation for you too. Have a great day, hope it is better. In not a dr, but have been on bupe for over 5 years and have never looked back.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It does take a few days for your body to adjust, some people (like myself), felt relief on day one, and I was feeling normal by day 2. I know you've mentioned nausea, and Amy, Razor, Rule, or any other mods, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've seen posts in the past about people who were either allergic to the naloxone in the suboxone, or they had stomach issues because of the naloxone. Once they switched to straight bupe they had no issues (some docs will prescribe subutex, which is just bupe without naloxone, but usually it's reserved for pregnant women, but not in every case). The other thing that maybe happening is your body is physically adjusting to not having agonist full opiates, and now just the suboxone (which is a partial agonist). It really varies from person to person using bupe products, work with your doctor, but give the suboxone at least a week or two before you decide to try something else (like zubsolv-just another name bupe product); however, if the nausea persists, and you can't deal with it, ask your doc, again it could be the naloxone making you sick. I've been on suboxone for a couple years now (8mg/day), and been reading this forum as well for about as long. I'm not a doc, or an expert, but many people have the same issues/questions, and the best advice is to communicate with your doc to get where you need to be, because in the end, we all are trying to get away from addict lifestyles (the medication is just a start). Hope you feel better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:33 am 

That is correct, Todd. Some people seem to be sensitive to the naloxone and it takes time for your body to get used to it. I am also starting to wonder about the fillers in the films. For example, many people on the films get sores under their tongues after a couple/few weeks of being on the films. I think that it's the inactive fillers in the film that cause that. I wonder if some of the other complaints like nausea and headache come from the make up of the film itself.

Spitting your dose out after it dissolves is the best way to tell if you are sensitive to the naloxone. Because naloxone is only absorbed in the digestive system, not by mucous membranes like the sub. If you swallow your spit you will absorb some naloxone. If you spit it out, you won't.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:20 pm 

Longgone I'm with the others in thinking that ur probably not taking enough in the beginning. I started out on 16mg a day and I took it all at once, not split up through the day. My habit was around 150mg oxycodone a day and the 16mg dose completely did it for me. I felt amazing by day 2. Just try it and if that still doesn't work with the issues ur having then try something else. Everyone of course would love to take as less as possible but honestly if ur not feeling better on the lower then that's defeating the purpose of taking sub to feel better. U can reduce ur dose as time passes just like most of us have.

I hope u get bk to feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really appreciate all the help and support.

So far, it's all been subutex - dr wrote a one week prescription yesterday. She wanted me to do 6-4-6, I cannot seem to find it in me to take that much.

Today I started with 4mg and have taken another 1 & then 2 so far today and will do 4 before bed. Nausea gone and while I am not near 100%, I am doing better. Still have some jitters and feeling down, but, I'm doing pretty good. I learned to not make any judgement until I give the medication a hour to set in.

I will do another 4mg later on. I am not sure why, it's just that 16mg scares me - I just think it's too much and I have no basis or fact for saying that. I'm just afraid thinking that more might bring back the nausea and more jitters.

Confusing stuff!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Longgone wrote:
I really appreciate all the help and support.

So far, it's all been subutex - dr wrote a one week prescription yesterday. She wanted me to do 6-4-6, I cannot seem to find it in me to take that much.

Today I started with 4mg and have taken another 1 & then 2 so far today and will do 4 before bed. Nausea gone and while I am not near 100%, I am doing better. Still have some jitters and feeling down, but, I'm doing pretty good. I learned to not make any judgement until I give the medication a hour to set in.

I will do another 4mg later on. I am not sure why, it's just that 16mg scares me - I just think it's too much and I have no basis or fact for saying that. I'm just afraid thinking that more might bring back the nausea and more jitters.

Confusing stuff!!

Didn't I read in another thread that you were taking 140mg oxy? If that's true you are not going to raise your opiate tolerance by taking 16mg of sub. That's the only possible thing I can think of being a concern. Side effects maybe like constipation which you may get at any dose of sub (Metamucil helped me in my years of sub- or miralax etc) . Also going from 16mg to 8mg is not hard and can easily be done. Why not be comfortable now? It seems you are doing what we all have been guilty of, being ones own doctor. Also trying to 'control' everything :D

After a few weeks as you get accustomed to sub you should feel pretty "normal". It's not going to happen in one day. Try following your Dr's instructions and listen to the advice of folks here. Sub helped me get off drugs and work on my life and eventually I was able to get off the sub itself without any ill effects. It took many years and much work though. Be patient, you are already beating the odds by trying to get away from opiate addiction. So many just suffer endlessly, steal, loose family and die/go to jail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Three days in - finally feeling much better and have since last night. I think the adjustment finally took hold. Thanks for all your help everyone!

I will keep posting every day or so leading up to next when when hubby gets to go through the same thing that I did.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good to hear you're feeling better. Usually people complain about feeling sick because of the naloxone in the sub, but if you're taking just subutex, then it's probably just your body physically adjusting to things. Everyone reacts to medications differently, I was fortunate to have an easy go of things when I started, sounds like it's working for you now. You can search "absorption" in the talkzone, and other posts, and it will explain how even though you are taking "X" mg's, your actually only absorbing a certain % of your dose, because of the way it's being administered to your body (orally, not intravenous). So even if you take 16mg, you're not getting the full dose, because of bioavailability (rate of absorption into the body), so while it sounds like a lot, you're not getting all 16 mgs into your system. That's not to say you're not having physical symptoms of discomfort, but maybe mentally knowing that, you'll feel more at ease about taking your full dose. As always, keep communicating with your doc, write down questions/concerns, take note of how you felt/feel first few days, then compare that 2-3 weeks out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quite a week!!

I am feeling incredibly good tonite and have felt this good all day and really the better part of two days now.

Here's hoping this continues.....I'm not sure if I feel this good because induction is complete or the Sub itself is acting as a drug for me. Dr said to wait a week before starting suboxone as she has kept me on subtex after I mentioned my preference. She also said after a week, she has no choice but to prescribe suboxone due to regulations.

I don't know how I got to this point in my life, really, what I do know is amazingly enough...OxyContin usage is a thing of the past for me, it's really nice to be able to say that - only one week in of course.

Thanks so much for the help and support of everyone that took the time to respond and help when I really needed it.

Pugmommy and Amy and all others..........thank you so very much.

I'll keep posting as hubby on deck and preparing to step off next Friday!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey girl, I'm so glad it finally took hold for you. Nope, this good feeling will not go away. And unlike full agonists, you will not feel like you are building a tolerance and need more in the future. What will happen is in time you're system will tell you it's time to cut down. Unfortunately there are some doctors that pressure patients to wean when they are not ready and cravings set in. If this happens, switch doctors. I know a gal that relapsed this way. Have a great weekend! Oh, and I do believe you will feel even better on suboxone film