It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Long story short, I was on subs about 3 years ago and am going back for induction this Friday. Had a spinal fusion that was very painful before and after, but can't kick this on my own. The doctor I used to see is not accepting any new patients anymore. I will be seeing someone new and was told initially that I will have to be in wd when I get there. I told them I have done this before and would prefer to do the wd at home and then start. I never had to go to the dr. Office in wd before and explained that this would not be easy to do. I wake up sick. They told me to wean myself down before I come in. Seriously, that's the reason I'm doing this. So then I asked if I would be given a dose in the office and was told no I'll get a prescription. She then made it seem like if I wanted to do it at home that would be ok. Initially, they told me he wants to see me in wd. So I guess my question is, what do I do? I have to drive about 45 min to the appt. I also know from past experience that some pharmacies don't stock this so I may have to wait a day for them to order it. Going to stay away from my small town pharmacy because I can't handle the judgement looks from one particular tech that has treated me like an addict from the day I came home from having surgery. Sorry I'm rambling. Very nervous to go through this again.

What are your experiences with induction? Did you have to dose in the office or could you do it on your own?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey! I just wanted to give you my experience. I just started suboxone 5 days ago and I saw a physciatrist. I was told I did not have to come into the office in any discomfort, I was sent home with a weeks supply of suboxone 16mgs per day. She did not drug test me either, she said I'll get random screens and once I have 4 clean ones I'll only have to come in every other week and eventually on a monthly basis. She was the one that informed me which pharmacy to use , in my case walmart near me always has them in stock. I would call a few places ahead of time and just ask if they have it in stock. I'm sure they can look in the computer this way you're prepared. Even my dr said she doesn't understand why drs still make the patient come in going through withdrawel, it's a waste of time. I was told to wait till I was feeling bad, not dying bad but bad enough that I felt it was time. Warned me of going into pw. I was taking anywhere from 200-300mg of oxycodone daily. I waited about 17 hours? I knew I was ready because my legs felt like someone took a sledgehammer to them, eyes and nose tearing, gagging etc. I felt better within 30 minutes of putting the strip under my tongue and so far my only side effect or symptom is anxiety. Today it's actually better!
Good luck to you and let us know how it goes for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think every doc does things a little different. Mine didn't require me to withdrawal, he just had me do a urine test to show I was on oxys and then wrote a script for 1 week's worth of subs. He actually told me to keep taking the oxy as well and just lower the amount over a week, which I found out here was NOT a good idea to take both! To be honest though the PW wasn't really that bad for me, for some reason. The first night I felt crappy but nothing too bad, i took 3 oxys the same day i started subs and I'd taken a 15mg oxy after my first dose of suboxone. Then only suboxone after that. I've read a lot after the fact about how bad PW can be, so I'm not sure why it wasn't for me. Hopefully you're able to get the script and do it on your own.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the responses. I know when to start them, as I did this before and if I remember correctly, I never really got sick like I do now. I would say that after 10 hours I am in the bathroom. Stomach cramps, etc. I am taking about 45 mg of oxycodone and 20 mg of norco a day. That is less than I was taking with the percocets (same thing). I am thinking that at 12 hours I would be good to go on the subs. I am debating whether to go there sick or not. If he's just going to write a script and send me in my way then I would rather wait. I don't feel like they gave me a clear-cut answer.

I would not take anything after I go on the subs. I don't understand why they would tell you to take percocets on subs. Just like them telling me to wean off a little. That defeats the purpose of going on.

I will call around to see who has it. The last time I was on my dose was 2 mg a day. I took 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm. At that time I was taking between 100-140 mg of norco. Do you think that dose will work? I don't want to be overdosed. Did that before and ended up in the ER. I didn't intentionally do that, my dr had the dose wrong. Ugh. I hope I feel ok. I hate that I can't do this on my own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ok, so I saw the new dr. today but didn't go in with wd. I tried, but woke up at 4 am feeling like shit and by 8 took my meds. I could not sit down and have a normal conversation feeling like that. He gave me the script and was very textbook about it, even though I have done this before. He told me I need to wait 24 hours at least to start. I do not remember waiting that long before. In fact, I'm sure I didn't. I would say 12 hours is going to be the max I can wait. Do you think that's too soon? I would think everyone is different and it also depends on the meds you are on. I don't want to be in precipitated wd either. So any advice is welcome. I take percocets and some Norcos. So they are both fast acting meds.

Thanks for your responses thus far. Also, had to call 3 pharmacies to find one that stocked it. Jeez..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:04 pm 

I'm glad your doctor didn't give you trouble about the fact that you weren't in withdrawal when you came it. Not that he probably could tell. It is stupid for him to make his patients do that, especially when the induction is not taking place in the office!

My doctor had me wait for 48 hours after my last percocet to induce, which may sound stupid as well, but he had a calculated reason for it that worked really well for me. He gave me clonidine, xanax, and hyoscyamine for the withdrawal period. When I went into the doctor's office to be induced I felt very yucky, of course. After I took 12mg of sub over a two hour period I felt on top of the world! Not high at all, but I felt gloriously normal! It was a night and day difference, which is why I think he sets it up that way. Within 24 hours I was astounded by the fact that I wasn't obsessed with pills anymore. It felt like a miracle. I will be forever grateful, even if I decide I need to come off of it one day.

Do you know about the COWS scoring? It gives you guidance on how much withdrawal you are in. I would wait until you are in at least moderate withdrawal before taking the sub. Here's a link: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

Amy