It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I need guidance and advice and I hope someone can assist me. I have no insurance and very little money. The money that I did have I decided to spend on subs instead of Roxie's- which I have been doing daily for almost a year- upward of 300 mg a day. I have been on subs before- under the care of an MD but do to my addiction I lost my job and my insurance. I have 10 8mg strips. Can someone please help me with a plan? I'm desperate to get off pills. I have a sponsor and go to NA. I'm honest about my addiction with my friends and family but I can't seem to stop. Do I have a chance? Will 10 strips be enough? I may be able to get a few more. Thanks in advance for any guidance and support.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, certainly buying sub rather than oxy is a step in the right direction, but sadly it's sort of like buying weed rather than cocaine. What you really need is a plan. You need a treatment plan and then to follow it. That often means getting a doctor to treat you. If this is the bridge that gets you there that's great. Sadly this could just become 10 days of using sub followed by more oxy

You ask if 10 strips are enough. Enough for what? If you think you can use 10 strips to somehow get you free of drugs, sadly the chance of that working is about zero. Most everyone needs to be on sub for at least a year. Some for life. 10 strips will get you a couple weeks worth of relief but that's about it.

To try to answer your plea for help, you need to fist be in moderate withdrawal. Do not take the sub until you are feeling MODERATE WITHDRAWL. If you don't, you'll be very very sorry. After in withdrawal id try 2 mg and see how you do. You should feel much better within about an hour. If that's not enough, try another 2 mg. you really should feel decent at 4 mg. that will give you 20 days of sub or if you can do it on 2 mg that will give you 40 days which may give you the chance to find a doctor.

Others here may help as well. If you hear anything, hear this, you must get a treatment plan and try to follow it. A Short course of sub is not the answer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:55 pm 

Hey Suz,
Wait till real wd starts. Moderate to severe kind of wd. Can you do that? Thats the start.

Id induct at 2mgs at first..if wd is still there after an hour and a half or so take another 2mgs. Knowing that you only have 10 films i wouldnt go over 4mgs. Ever.
The point is you want to detox off pills. You want to stop. After taking bupe in low doses over a two week period and tapering as you go, you ll still have wd of some kind. Acute wd will be around for a month or so. You could have a softer landing but it won't be easy.

Sorry you can't get with a dr. Just stopping can be the easy part. Staying Stopped is all opiate addicts problem.

Glad you have a sponsor and go to NA. You ll need it. Being held accountable to others and working a program is your best bet if you can get on a sub maintenance program. A meeting every day is called for imo..

Others may come by and give there opinion, i hope they do.

I hope you really want to do this. If ya do you can have success. .best of luck to you suzi...

razor 57...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Donh and Razor thank you both for replying. I wish I had a MD. I know that is the correct way to do it. I'm on unemployment and can barely make ends meet. My plan is to detox with the subs and work my ass of in NA. I've had 3 years in the program. I can do it again if I work it. I also have an Rx for naltrexone which I plan to take after the subs leave my system. So I guess my question is this. Wait until I'm in Mod to Severe WD... Take 2 mg. see how I feel after an hour. If no better take 1-2 mg more but no more than 4? Then how do I dose the rest?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 pm 

Hey suz welcome.

I understand that when u have no insurance (I don't either I have to pay cash for my treatment and it's extremely expensive) sometimes u just cannot afford it. It's extremely disheartening to be an addict and not be able to afford something that's proven to help us live a better life. At least u have NA and a sponsor plus the naltrexone, that's pretty good. I hope everything works out for u. Suboxone is definitely meant to be taken longer than a few weeks though so make it last u as long as u possibly can.

Usually u need to wait anywhere from 24-36 hrs after ur last opiate. Take 2mg and if that doesn't make u feel better then 2 more...like the others said. The next day, take whatever mg stopped ur withdrawal the day before. That's about all I know to tell ya, I'm def not familiar with any type of quick taper so I don't wanna tell ya the wrong things. I know everyone has already said this, I hope some miracle could happen for ya and u could find a Dr. I basically just wanted u to know that I hope u can find a way out of active addiction, we all know how miserable it is. Keep us updated and good luck!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suzs

You have a habit like I did. 300 + oxy a day. I am under a doctors care & it's probably less expensive then when I was using & paying cash for my scripts.

My suggestion for a taper is to search "short taper" or "detox taper" here on the forum. I remember reading a few threads of peeps doing a detox taper.

I am being honest when I tell you sub is not a magic pill. You will still have w/d's, sub may just soften the landing. Can you get any comfort meds?

With your short taper, even if it's 3-4 weeks, you won't have cravings. Use your sponsor & the phone once you stop. Stay strong & remember it takes time to heal your brain & body.

Also come here if you don't want to call your sponsor. We are a good supportive group

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I found a MD who is willing to help me at a reasonable price that I can afford! I "sold" the subs back and got my money back to use towards MD and script! I have appt on Tues at noon. Miracles are already happening. Thank you all for your push to get a MD. I feel a bit of hope.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That is wonderful suz! Please keep in touch!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm 

Congratulations Suzspags! I'm glad I read all the posts before putting in my 2ยข worth.

I was going to say sorry for having to detox but now you will be fine for as long as it takes for you to either stay on them or have a plan of recovery like Donh said.

Did you get into that patient relief program? The one where you don't pay due to lack of money? That's what it sounds like and I'm very happy for you. Many here will be envious of your good fortune for not having to pay very much. I'm just glad you got off the dope and into recovery.

Enjoy your new life!

rule