It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Roxy's for going on 5 years. I do about 210 mg's per, everyday, without missing a day. Needless to say its been years since I've gotten "high", I just maintain. I have been considering going on Sub's for a long time, but just have never pulled the trigger. I have now made the decision to give it a shot to see how I feel on them.

My question is, at 210 mg's of daily use, what dosage of Sub would you guys recommend I start with? My plan is to go 24 hours from my last usage and then take 4 mgs of Sub. Does that seem like the right amount? (I'm gonna induct myself at home and if all goes well and I decide to stay on sub's then I will find a doctor ASAP)

I'm also wondering, if for whatever reason I decide to go back to Oxy's and try to kick them another way, can I begin taking them say a few hours after I've taken a Sub or do I need to wait a certain length of time.

Thanks in advance for any responses. I truly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm 

Hi Skinsboy. I deleted your other post because it was so similar to this one and no one had answered it yet. We just try to keep it to one post per subject.

Rather than waiting a certain number of hours before you start suboxone, I would use the COWS scoresheet, which you can find here: https://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_in ... _sheet.pdf

It's recommended that you are in at least moderate withdrawals before you take any buprenorphine. I know it's uncomfortable, but the longer you wait, the less likely you will experience precipitated withdrawal.

You don't have to wait a certain amount of time to take more Roxy. Taking buprenorphine and then full agonist opioids will not make you sick, but it may be a waste of money on the roxies if you take it too soon. I imagine that you won't feel the effects of the oxy until you start feeling some withdrawal symptoms after the suboxone.

My doctor started me on 4mg, waited a half hour, gave me another 4mg, waited and got to a total of 12 mg before I went from feeling terrible to feeling like a normal human being. It was amazing. One of the most amazing things was noticing the next day that I wasn't obsessing over my drug of choice! That's why I think it's important to make sure you take enough of the suboxone to flood your receptors. If you take too little you will feel somewhat in between bad and good, which will not help you make a good decision about whether to stay on it or not. So, please, really give it a chance! You are worth it!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Most people that I have worked having your tolerance end up 12-16 mg daily. With 4 mg a day you won't have full coverage on your receptors and will be chasing withdrawal/cravings with extra doses.
Use the COWS, not time, to gauge when to take the first dose.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful. Sounds like 4mg will probably not be enough so maybe I'll just start with a full strip and wait 30-40 minutes and see how I feel. Am I at the right dose when I feel like 90-100% better? Meaning all withdrawal symptoms are gone and I just feel normal.

Last question, let's say 8mg is the right dose for me to start. I've read that the right thing to do is start tapering soon after to find the minimum dose your body can handle. So would i start taking less after a few days, or do I wait a week or two and stay at 8mg and then start cutting back say 25% a week until I can get to say 2-3mgs?

Thanks so much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 am 

Hey skinsboy! Welcome.

At the time of my induction, my tolerance to oxycodone 30's (roxy) was a little bit less than urs, I was taking about 5 a day on good days..... of course that fluctuated lol. My doctor had me wait 32 hours and then when I came into the office for induction they started scoring me on the COWS sheet. During induction they gave me 2mg every 30-45 min until I reached 8mg. After that day my prescribed dose was 16mg.

My experience was like Amy's, I felt better and my obsession to use was lifted and I was amazed! I'd never experienced that the entire time I was using. Let's be honest, even though I'd get a good dose of oxycodone, I'd always still be wanting more regardless. With buprenorphine it isn't like that, ur cravings are pretty much gone.

Even though ur going to feel better, you'll still need some time to adjust. Jumping around on ur dose isn't going to be very beneficial imo. So u should stick with one dose and stay there for a bit. U don't need to worry about starting to drop ur dose asap. The goal is to stabilize and start ur recovery. After a bit if u want to maintain on a lower dose, u can, but don't do it too quickly.

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thats good advice Jenn- I will probably start at 4 mg and up it from there is needed. Thank you.