It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well my story is much like many others I'm sure.
I have been on lortabs for the past 10 years give or take a few.
I have been taking at least 20-26 a day. It all started out in a stressful Job I met a guy that interduced me to them as a energy builder as he put it later a white mans coke.
I have a great job and my wife as well so buying them was not that difficult. My wife had surgery on her neck about 5 years ago and now she takes 4-5 a day she has much more will power than me! Looking back I can gruffly say I have needed something to fill a hole in my life. In my younger days it was weed then it was alcohol and now it's. The blue footballs! I'm so disgusted with my life taking these things and all the money I have wasted! 150 a day add's up quick.
The funny thing about it all is there is no high for me taking them it just makes me feel normal.
I broke down yesterday and called a clinic 30 miles out of town for help.
They told me I would be ok on the Suboxone and my lortab days are over!
I got so excited until last night reading about the addiction to Suboxone being worst?
Can anyone please tell me if Suboxone is the answer? I can't quit by myself. I have tried many times.
Also huge question will I be able to work the next day?
I work in a private office but have to deal with customers all day.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Worse Addiction?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am 

One, congratulations for deciding on taking the first step in your recovery. Now to address the main question. Is it trading one addiction for another? And is it worse?

No, and no. Suboxone was the only thing that enabled me to get off a very similar habit to yours and go back to work the next day. Yes, Sub is also a mild opiate and would have to be in order for you to function normally right off the bat. There is no easy answer for years of abuse. Sooner or later we pay the piper.

But the drug itself works like a miracle. It will take away any and all cravings for your Lortabs and you'll be amazed at how good you feel without being high. There is a slight high to it in the beginning, but as you adjust, it will lessen and life will even out.

It's meant to stop the behavior of active addiction so you can start putting your life together. It works best with seeing a therapist to address the underlying reasons you used. Meetings of either AA or NA if you're so inclined. This forum is also a support group that I use to help me. You will find a wealth of information here about addiction and Sub.

In my case, my doctor started me off at 24mgs, (too high) and a year later I am at 4mgs. In the next few months I will taper down as low as possible to have as little withdrawal symptoms as possible when I stop. It sure beats going cold turkey off of all those Lortabs.

I gave you the shortened version and you will find out so much more by doing research and the posting of all the others here.

Welcome to our forum,

Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Rule!!!
After reading some of the horror stories on here about choices of what to do you made me think.
Even if I do get dependent on the Suboxone it has to be better than taking Lortab.
Not to mention it is leagl. I am so over thinking all day where I'm getting my next supply. I am so ready to be clean and free of this demon!

Please anyone else that has advice please chime in.
It makes me feel better to know I am not by myself in this!

Thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nomaxx,

You said, "Looking back I can gruffly say I have needed something to fill a hole in my life. In my younger days it was weed then it was alcohol and now it's. The blue footballs!", you know you're an addict right? Don't be ashamed, I'm an addict too. Similar story to yours I'm sure. I started young, weed. Moved onto cocaine, then after an accident I found pain pills. I was on heavy amounts of pain pills for 10 years before I finally decided to give Suboxone a try.

I had no luck quitting Lortabs either. I made it 30 days once and then threw in the towel. I got on Suboxone and was amazed at how well it worked to eliminate my cravings. I stayed on Suboxone for three years before I quit taking it, I quit Suboxone a year ago today. I stopped Suboxone at WAY TOO HIGH of a dose (5mg or so) and suffered pretty good wd's for a good while. You won't necessarily be addicted to Suboxone, we usually refer to it as being dependent on Suboxone.

Anyway, in my opinion, it is NOT trading one addiction for another. I went from being cuckoo for cocoa puffs over pain pills to a "normal" person almost overnight when I got on Suboxone. Suboxone gives you the chance to straighten yourself out, address your addictive personality.....usually through some type of counseling and get back to a much more stable life.

If and when you ever decide to quit Suboxone, you should slowly taper off of it. Tapering off of Lortab's is next to impossible. Tapering off of Suboxone is done almost everyday here on this website.

As far as your question about "can you work the next day." If your induction is done properly, that is, you're in mild to moderate wd when you start Suboxone, you'll be able to work the next day with no problems. For me, I could have went to work within 40 minutes of taking my Suboxone. 40 minutes is all it took for me to be feeling great again.

A lot of people will recommend being in wd for 24 hours, that's actually what I did, but it's not so much how long you're in wd, it how much wd your in that dictates when your first Suboxone dose will be given. Google search the COWS sheet, it'll give you some kind of guideline as to how much wd you're in.

Good luck man and don't sweat it. I think Suboxone will help you a lot.

One more piece of advice, once you get stabilized on Suboxone and you're ready.....you should lower your dose to as low as you can while still getting all the benefits of it. In my opinion, this helps minimize the eventual wd you would get if and when you quit. Of course, this should ALL be run by doctor first though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Romeo
I looked at the COW sheet and just went into terror thinking of Monday!
They told me 24 hrs. That means no more after 2:15 tomorrow.
I wonder if I can take ambien to sleep tomorrow night? Will that mess up the interduction?
I have problems sleeping now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello and welcome,
I'm pretty much just starting out on suboxone so I don't feel I am 'experienced enough' to provide proper advice. However, like you I was also scared of getting into enough withdrawals so i could take the first dose. Scared not only because I am a wimp and hate feeling ill, but scared in case I wasn't in w/d's enough and then I'd end up in major major difficulties with precipitated w/ds - BUT - you will be OK. it's just 24 hours that you have to suffer any and then, if like me, you may have the first 3 days of feeling a little uncomfortable whilst the sub gets into your system properly. Take a sleeper tomorrow night to help you rest. You'll be OK and suboxone is a really massive help. For what it is worth i definately do not see it as substituting one addiction for another. It's a life line. Good luck for Monday - please let us know how you get one. xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Babydoll....
Thanks to everyone for there honesty.
I'm so ready but like you said I'm the same way a wimp when it comes to suffering thru the short WD.
Being physically sick dose not bother me as much as the mental part..
The last time I tried to go cold turkey I went mentally insane in a short period of time.

Question; will they let me drive myself home Monday or should I have someone else bring me?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I am clueless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey nomaxx,

Ambien should not interfere with your induction at all. Only an opiate, to the best of my knowledge, would interfere with your induction.

I know this is easy for me to say, but try not to stress over the 24 hours of wd. It's a small price to pay for how much better your gonna feel shortly after you get some Suboxone onboard.

I had my wife bring me to my first Suboxone app't, I think it would be a good idea to get someone to drive you to yours, if at all possible.

You can do this man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow I feel like I already have friends at this forum. You guy's seem like a tight group.
I sure hope once I get this behind me I can help others like you guy's do.
I hung my bottle up tonight ( a medicine bottle that holds 100 lortabs) in a cloth oakly soft sunglass case.
I have had this same bottle for the past several years. My name is faded off the label.... I just wonder how many thousands of dollars went thru that bottle?
I could have paid my house off twice! Monday will be the first day I have left the house without it.
I'm sure it will be a crazy day for sure!

IM SO READY

Post subject: Good morning folks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Morning everyone!

Nomaxx you are sounding more positive already. Glad that we have been able to ease some of your worries. I have not been a part of this forum for that long, but it really is a great help. In fact I am not sure how my first 7 weeks in treatment would have been without this place. At the moment I find I have more support here than elsewhere.

IMO too I would have someone drive you if you can. it'll be one less thing for you to worry about and better safe than sorry. Also IMO i see no reason why you would not be able to go to work the next day.

Good Luck and keep up the positive thinking.

x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning all

Thanks Babydoll.... Encouragement goes a long way at this point.
Hopefully I will post tomorrow but if I'm in my shell I hope you guys understand.
The last time I tried to quit with no help I went into hiding. Just felt so bad and along.
But I'm staying positive this time I'm making the right choice. I will try to keep my mind occupied on how I will spend or save all that extra money!!!

Peace every one and I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Nomaxx,

Just thought I would add a little bit, hoping it might make you feel better. I became addicted to pain meds as a result of a lot of bypass grafts and an amputation of my left leg. I started Suboxone in June 2010. In April of this year I suffered a setback and had to have my other leg amputated. Had to stop the Suboxone and go back to what an addict would consider paradise.(Morphine, Dilaudid, Oxy, etc...) You may not believe this but I couldn't wait to get back to my Suboxone. Suboxone makes me feel normal, balanced, happy..Aside from a little insomnia I feel great.

As soon as I saw that my surgery was just about healed, I stopped the painkillers and waited 24-48 hrs. (uncomfortable yes, but it went fast) I put myself back on Suboxone. Within 25-35 min. I felt fine.

Since life is not perfect, I got an infection in my surgery site. Pain again. Off Subs again and on opiates. I am so frustrated. But I am doing everything to heal from this so I can go on my Subs again

You won't regret what you are doing. Hang in there tough. Suboxone will change your life. Please keep us posted. Let us know how things are going.

Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Queenie for sharing you thoughts of comfort.
Just To here your story brings a tear to my eye. You got on the pain killers for all the right reasons I got on them to fill a hole in my live many years ago.
I keep waiting for someone to beat me up for starting PK's with out severe pain. I feel like a big dummy right now as I sit here de-toxxing.
I can say reading this forum has helped me so much. I never would have guessed so many would be in the same boat as me with addiction to pain medicine.
I will try to make a post tomorrow after I get home from the Doctor.

Tks

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just to let you know I am thinking about you and I'm sure I can speak for the rest of us when I say I can't wait to hear from you and how it went.

Let us know as soon as you can.

Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

18 hours into my 21 hour wait
Slight headache
Body aches
Sweating
Very restless

Next 6 I fear will be the roughest.
My mind set is right.... I'm going to do this.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TWO MORE HOURS JUST ABOUT GONE. Not long now.

Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's good to see you here Queenie. I know what you mean about being on pain pills now. After my car accident I didn't feel normal until after I got back on my Sub. I thought I would be happy to be "allowed" to take pain meds for a while. But they really didn't work great and I just didn't feel like myself during that time.

Nomaxx, don't feel like you are the only one here who took opiates for non-medical reasons. I know I did for years. Hope your induction went well.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Nomaxx, Hello?

How did it go? Are you OK? Are you feeling better after the induction. I have fingers crossed for you here. Post as soon as you feel up to it.

Lots of Love

xxx C xxx

you are in my thoughts. :)

Post subject: Back from induction! :-)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok I'm back from the induction.....
I don't know where to start....
My Dr was so nice and everyone at the clinic was extremely nice to me.
I watched a 30 min film then sat down with the doctor. I told him my whole story of my addiction and he explained how Suboxone works and gave me a half of Buprenorphine and we talked 30 more mins and he gave me the other half. 
I kept waiting for that rush of pain killing warmth to kill my agonizing pain of withdrawals but it never happen... What did happen is crazy all of a sudden my mind was clear I did not feel sick anymore other than a little tolerable mussel ache from my calf's. Oh my God!! For once I was not craving a hand full of pills?
My friend drove me home but man I am thinking so clear for once I could have drove a unicycle home blind folded!!!
Suboxone has worked as good if not better than everyone has said. If I had only knew about this treatment earlier!
I pray that I feel this good tomorrow and every day going forward.
I plan on following the Doctors instructions to the tee!!!
He wants to see me back in 7 days for a follow up. I do realize I will have to see him every month for my refill's but what a better life than taking 260ml of hydrocodone a day!
I am so happy and thanks to everyone for being so nice to me! My big deciding factor of going in has a lot to do with all the information and support I received from you guy's and gal's! 

A BIG THANKS TO ALL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awesome news indeed!!!

I love the part about riding the unicycle blindfolded!!