It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, my name is Denice. I have been addicted and abusing Vicodin and Norco for over ten years. Around a year ago I got help and stated using Suboxone. It was a miracle for me. Not only did it help with the withdrawals, but it would completely took away any and every craving that my brain had. I have a very bad shoulder problem which means a lot of pain. I was put on Norco again. It has now got to where it doesn't help the pain, but my brain is just wanting me to take the Norco. So, before I get back to the way I was for over ten years, I went in to be put back on Suboxone. But, unfortunately the insurance I had a year ago paid for the Suboxone. Now the insurance I have won't cover it. I did switch my medicare plan to one that will cover it, but until it goes through I can't get my Suboxone. I was able to use the $45 coupon to get a few of them. But I'm really scared of what to do til it gets approved. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to listen to any. Because if I don't this under control, I could die. And I already know the answer is Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I know how you feel. I was switched to generic subutex, but it is still expensive. My rent is late every month because of it, not to mention I have to have a room mate which I can't stand. But I have to have my meds. Thank God for generic though, or I would be forced to detox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Denise - I'm sorry this is such a tough one for you, especially now that you know you need suboxone to move forward in your life. Have you asked your sub doctor about the generic version of Subutex? It's definitely cheaper than Suboxone and is only missing the naloxone. Not all doctors will agree to prescribe the generic (because of it not having the naloxone), but it's worth asking your doctor about it.

The only other thing I can think of is have you spoke directly to your insurance company about it? It could be you might only need pre-approval to get the suboxone paid for. Or maybe they have other requirements for the sub treatment to be paid for, like therapy at the same time. Some state's medicaid plans work like that, but I don't know about Medicare. But if you haven't spoken to them about it, it might be worth asking them directly.

Or....I just had another thought....what if your doctor prescribed it off-label as a pain medication? I wonder if Medicare would then approve its use? It's a thought? Although if your doctor first wrote the rx for addiction only and they turned that down, then that would pretty much shoot that idea out of the water. I don't know....I'm brainstorming here and grasping at straws.

I'm sure others will come along with some of their own ideas. Good luck. Just remember, during our active addictions we busted our asses to get our drugs...now we need to put the same effort into our remission/recovery.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You hit the nail, hat...with that last sentence.

I'm sure we can all remember how badly we would pursue when we were active (although this doesn't seem really like active addiction in the OP, it seems like a legitimate use, but she knows the end result -- which is wisdom I ONLY WISH I HAD YEARS AGO!!!!!)
But if we used that behavior that we had back then as a template to our recovery process in how determined we are...I wonder how much the "failed stories" would drop off the map???

This doesn't really apply here, as it's not (TO ME) actively seeking behavior or a failed story, just circumstances beyond control. Sometimes it seems like life is intentionally shackling us to a wall and we're tied up!

I can't really give much here as I'm not familiar with the rules / regs of medicare. My neighbor is on it, and he goes to a pain clinic...has had Methadone written to him as pain management medication..so that's the only avenue I can tell you to pursue. I don't know which state you're in..and what I just said is the only experience I can offer as a possible avenue of hope.

I just wanted to comment on what Hat said about the behavior and determination...because I would walk over fire, barefoot, with 50lb weights in each hand if there had been a bottle with 4 lortabs in it years ago. Now, if the same scenario were presented to me, I would likely pee on the fire, and the lortabs, and turn around and walk the other way.
I actually have a couple of lortabs in my dresser...they belong to my wife, but they've been there for MONTHS now. She's pregnant and has aches/etc...nearly time for the baby to be born. And there's another bottle with 2 or 3 in it that she got when she had a tooth worked on. It's been in there for 2 1/2 years...and I don't care about it..same amount in it now as there was 2 1/2 years ago! That would've NEVER happened if I were actively seeking....

Post subject: Pre-Auth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

In Kentucky, the doctors office (that is approved doctors who can prescribe Suboxone {at least that is how I understand it}) has forms to fill out saying that Suboxone is Medically Necessary, although it could take a few days to perhaps a couple of weeks, you should ultimately be approved to get your Suboxone
for a few weeks to months. Be sure once this goes through that you know exactly when your Pre-Auth is up and ask
your doctors office to start the paper work started again so that you never have to be without your Suboxone.
I have been gainfully legally employed since I was started on Suboxone in 2008.
I too have been around
different bottles of pain meds and it makes me sick to even look at them.
I Thank God Everyday that I found
Suboxone.
I wish you all the best.[b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya hat hit the spot". in my state if i run out of suboxone i can go to the EM room and they will give me 3 day suply of subs. can you do this in your state? if you can, just keep doing it until you get your script

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh ".of course i had to have a good reason why i ran out.