It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So here's my story I am new to this site,
My name is lisha, I am 21 years of age. I recently underwent and emergency open heart surgery. I had gone into the ER with a fast heart rate and they found a large mass inside of my heart causing it to begin to fail. the heart surgery was THE worst thing I have ever been through. It has been 5 months and I am in still tons of pain. They have been giving 5mg of oxycodone since the surgery. My original instructions where to take 1-2 every 6 hours. As tie went by the med wasn't helping with the pain anymore. I began increasing my dose slightly over time. Now keep in mind I have no previous drug history what so ever. I have only ever taken them orally as well. I tried to taper down and I had a hard time. I went to m doctor and explained to her I though I had a physical dependence and she began treating me different. After we tried tapering two more times I was unsuccessful. I did go down from 80mg of oxy to 50 mgs of oxy though. Anyway long story short my doctor is now putting me on suboxone for 6months to a year and she said it will be better than the up and odes that the oxycodone gives and safer on my heart as well as relive pain.
I am a very sensitive person. I am scared of the harshness of this med and the side effects.
If anyone can offer me advice as to what to expect with my induction on Monday I would greatly appreciate it. I am having much anxiety over all of this
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Lisha

I am sorry to hear about the heart condition but it's a good thing they found it & corrected it while you are young!

In my experience, suboxone is not any more harsh then many anti-depressants, antibiotics or other meds. I am on leviquin (antibiotic) & google that for nasty side effects...I have no choice & it is the med my doctor says i need right now but i am more concerned about being on Leviquin then sub.

I suggest reading around this forum & hopefully someone else will also answer your questions. The single most important thing is you have to be in significant Withdrawals. I had to stop all opiates for a solid 24 hours before induction. My doctor tested me & used the COWS scale (google that for more info) before he gave me a small dose of suboxone film. When i did ok he gave me more sub. The induction was a 3 hour process for me. Don't fear the sub, IMHO it's not as bad as other drugs.

Chronic pain is also how i became dependent/addicted to first Norco then Oxy's. For me the sub has controlled my pain & I feel better overall.

Hope this helped you feel a little better about Monday. You can also PM a mod or member or ask more questions on the board. I am glad I went on suboxone & I hope you will feel the same.

Em

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tiki, thanks for your response. I just joined this site and I was glad to see someone responding to me so quick. I think im just nervous because all of the things I have heard and read about the medication. Lost of good but then lots of bad. sometimes reading is bad for me cause I make myself more of an anxious mess. I am just worried mainly about getting any bad side affects.
If I get bad effects how long will they last. What if I just don't react well then what will my doc do
Will I be sick until I can take oxys again or will I be bale to go back to normal until we find plan B
what about precipitated withdraws that scares me. I don't want to take anything with a chance of getting worse. I have never been through withdrawals longer than a day and I don't want to find out how bad they get.
All in tour opinion do you think subs where a good idea for me. I only have a dependence. I have no prior drug use history. She is mainly doing it because she said it will get me off the oxy and control my pain.
Sorry for the ramble im just overwhelmed
Thanks for all your help

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is your current dose of oxy per day? Around 50-80mgs a day? Your doctor is right in the sense that suboxone is more even and steady than oxy.. however, it is stronger than the dose you're taking in certain aspects. I hope your doctor suggests an appropriate starting dose for you rather than the typical, 16-24mgs, let's flood these receptors, dosing theories. Has your doctor hinted at where se would start you? Hopefully she comes at this from a pain management view and not an addiction treatment view, the dosing is much different.

Let us know what she says.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Geez I wrote a whole message to you lisha and it shut down as I went to post so I lost it grrrrrr! Anyway, I was saying I actually took oxys and suboxone on the same day. I didn't find this site till day two. So then I was seeing people were saying you need to withdrawl first. I didn't do that. I had been taking 8-10 15mg oxys for years. So first suboxone day I took 3 oxys and 2 8mg suboxone. I felt kinda blah and at night a little withdrawl but honestly not too bad. Day 2 I felt great taking just suboxone. I had a few rough days feeling sick after but it was just getting to the right suboxone dose. Which I'm on day 13 and been doing good now on 8mg a day. I split it in two doses about 7 hrs apart. That's been working well. You may need less sub if you were taking less oxy. If you have time read dr.J's article about the "ceiling" I think it's called. Really helpful in understanding the dosing! Try not to worry, you'll be ok and feeling pretty good soon!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for everyone communicating with me.
Tinydance: my doc said that she thinks will be on some where between 4 and 8 mg but not above 8mgs total. I am taking 45-50mg of oxy daily for the past week. She told me I had to be 12 hours since my last does. So she sad to take my last dose at 8 pm Sunday night and be at her office Monday morning at 8 am. I am very sensitive to meds and for the longest time oxys would make me sick but after time I got use to it. I hope this med doesn't make me sick. That's what im scared most of all. my doctor is also suggesting that I slit the dose into morning and night as well. My pain is worse at those times so will taking it two times a day be beneficial?
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I hope I have a smooth induction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lisha

Reading about side effects makes me crazy also. I was more like you with pain being the reason i started but dependence kept me taking more than prescribed as you wrote. You have not been taking oxy that long but the fact is you can't taper off for whatever reason. After 2 failed tapers your doctor is taking a better look at you, your pain level & what is best for you right now.

I am also very sensitive to medications so i completely understand your concern. I was scared the entire week before my induction! It turned out fine, actually better than i expected :lol:

Just keep asking questions here & tell us what you are concerned about. It does sound like you have a good doctor. She will be addressing your on going pain & hopefully giving you the appropriate amount of sub for your oxy use. I honestly feel better on sub but it did take some time for me to get used to it. I worried about pain the most. Without some pain control i can't do anything & the sub has worked for me so far.

You should keep telling yourself that your induction will go smoothly...the power of positive thinking!

Last edited by Tiki on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lisha21 wrote:
Thanks for everyone communicating with me.
Tinydance: my doc said that she thinks will be on some where between 4 and 8 mg but not above 8mgs total. I am taking 45-50mg of oxy daily for the past week. She told me I had to be 12 hours since my last does. So she sad to take my last dose at 8 pm Sunday night and be at her office Monday morning at 8 am. I am very sensitive to meds and for the longest time oxys would make me sick but after time I got use to it. I hope this med doesn't make me sick. That's what im scared most of all. my doctor is also suggesting that I slit the dose into morning and night as well. My pain is worse at those times so will taking it two times a day be beneficial?
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I hope I have a smooth induction.

Just being honest, but prepare to be sick until you raise your tolerance. Hopefully she puts you closer to 4mgs, but even that sounds to high for someone taking 45-50mgs. We've had people sick on 2mgs with that size habit. If it were me, I'd start really small, despite what my doctor prescribed. The theory being that you can always add more, but once you over do suboxone, the effects can last up to 48hours easily.

You'll know you took too much sub if you are anxious, nauseous, have a headache, can't sleep.. or nod out. i find that more people complain of feeling "speedy" though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good Luck today! Let us know how you are doing. You will be in my thoughts today!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update #1.
I have been back and forth to the doctor all morning and I am not withdrawing. My doctors says that I'm scoring to be moderately withdrawing. I don't feel it. I'm don't wanna take the medication until I feel like I'm in withdrawls. Is this normal. I can't figure out what's going on. I usually Start to feel icky 5-6 hours after a dose. It has been about 20hours until my last dose. I'm actually kinda anxious that I'm not feeling symptoms.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Speaking from experience you definitely do not want to induct until you are feeling the w/d from the oxy. I've had precipitated w/d's from taking it too soon after my last fix and it's a much more "intense" w/d than a normal full agonist w/d and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. You said it has been 20 hours, how big was your last dose? That could effect where you are right now. For some it can take up to 36-48 hours depending on how much you last took and how often.

I can say this, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get inducted, if your not sick yet then you either will soon enough or some people get lucky and don't get sick at all. If you make past 2 days and you still aren't sick then that lucky chance is higher, but I understand from your post that you are still in need of a pain killing med. In that case it would be trial and error, but definitely start small and increase your dose until you feel comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did have a bigger dose than usual the day before. I usually get w/d in the day time just a couple hours in between my doses of oxy. I was extremely shocked that I didn't have any. My doc said I was trembling a little and my pupils were dilated so she said that was enough to tell her that I was w/ding. I didn't feel comfortable taking sub yet considering I was feeling just fine. My doctor assured me and reassured me hat she though it was time. I took 4mg and I did ok I guess. About 20 minute after I had a few adrenaline attacks I guess you could say. My whole body was doing these weird tingly rushing feelings and was feeling uncomfortable. About an hour later I felt really foggy headed and drowsy. This lasted two hours. My doc said that she thinks I had too much. I did not take anymore on that day. That night I got all the tingly rushing feelings back. I was experiencing some weird symptoms. I was trying to go to sleep cause I wasn't feeling well and every time I would start to fall asleep my body would like shock/scare itself awake. I did this for a few hours till I finally took some clonidine and I was ok.
so starting with today. My doc said to try 2 mg instead of 4 and she said I could take 2 in the after noon and 2 before I got to bed or 4 before I go to bed. Nut only 6mg a day. I took the 2 at 10am. I felt ok through out the day. It wasn't like I was completely better or anything but considering everything I was doing okay. It is 7pm and I just took another 2mg. I am starting to not feel well. I have a bad headache. I cant just feel run down. I am still waiting for the 2mg to take effect. I may only need 4mgs a day and that's good I suppose. I have noticed that it isn't helping with my pain like I thought it would though. It does take the edge off at least. Oh and one more thing. I have been extremely nauseas. Im not throwing up, im just stuck with this icky stomach upset all day long. I took some ati nausea and it didn't help :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would very much like to know how you are feeling today. Some of the symptoms you described can easily be attributed to switching to buprenorphine or they can be attributed to other medical issues you may have, and since I am in no way a Dr or qualified to answer to those symptoms, I can tell you that when I was inducted for the first time, I guess I can only explain it as being uncomfortable for a few hours until the bupe took it's time to take effect and then I felt normal, if you will. I did have some headaches but those eventually went away. I highly recommend discussing any discomfort or problems with your Dr.

I am hopeful that you are able to find a comfortable transition and since you are also using the med for pain issues it's even more important that you find the right dose so that it helps with the pain, again important to establish with your Dr.

Remember that everyone isn't taking the same amount, some need more to feel better and some less. I am wishing you much luck and success !!