It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm just starting suboxone and my family practioner had me on 0.5mg klonopin twice a day. Now I've started suboxone through a different doctor for my opioid dependence and he strictly forbids me taking any benzodiazepines. In fact, I take weekly drug screens to make sure that I'm not taking anything else. They tapered me off the klonopin in a week or so but now that I'm off it I'm left wondering if I'll be ok. I was on the klonopin for my panic disorder. If the suboxone will work to help that, then great. But I feel bare and wrong not taking it and having to give it up. I'm on 8mg of suboxone per day by the way. And there is no reasoning with him he has been very clear that there is a black box warning and I can't be taking klonopin. Is this ok and have any of you run into your doctor wanting to take you off one med to put you on suboxone? This makes me want to be on suboxone short term and get off to be on my usual med but maybe this is best. Let me know your thoughts because I'm really stuck over this matter :(

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:53 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree that daily scheduled use of benzodiazepines is NOT the way to treat anxiety. On the other hand, I'm not a believer in a 'one shoe fits all' approach to medicine and any Dr who is so rigid that I feel I am not being listened to is not the medical provider for me.

I'm biased in that I was on high, high doses of benzodiazepines for many years and NEVER thought I could get off them or survive off them if I were to do it. I noticed that with time removed from them...like months time totally removed...and I was on Klonopin 6mg daily and Valium 60mg daily...I had LESS overall anxiety then when I was on those high doses of medications that were being used to reduce my anxiety (well, and prevent muscle spasms). On them, I was in constant benzodiazepine withdrawal/up and down - whose side effect happens to be heightened and rebound anxiety.

I'm not the type of person who can use a benzodiazepine a few times a month with days in between doses simply when I would really need to because my MO is using them addictively, I've tried other ways and for me they don't work. So, I cannot take them at all if I want to remain alright in other aspects of my life. This is not to say that I believe that no one can take benzo's PRN, if you can god bless you and find a Dr. who isn't 'black boxing' entire classes of medications that really are not counter indicated with the use of buprenorphine.

So, as it sounds like you've already been titrated, so why not give it a try? There's really nothing to lose except dependence on benzodiazepines and a safety net that is really not a safety net in the long run.

T

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject: Benzo's
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:21 pm 

I too was told the same thing. It must come from their training because a lot of doctors have said the same thing. My new Dr. has no problem prescribing a benzo if I ask so it is not all of them. Maybe my new Dr. fell asleep during that training session!

But like you, I had to stop taking my Xanax if I were to be treated, no discussion about it. They even had me bring in the extra pills I had in the bottle. Luckily I was only taking one pill in the evening so there really wasn't any withdrawal to speak of. I agree with TCH, why not try to get off them and see how you feel?

Sorry you have to go through this, I know anxiety can be very difficult to reign in.

Good to have you here at the forum. I hope you stick around and make some cyber friends.