It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:29 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been off of all drugs, including heroin, for the past 4 months. I'm on parole and just graduated from a sober living facility in California. I was mandated to be in a 12 step program and be part of this recovering community out here. I did everything my sponsor asked me to do. I went to meetings, prayed, volunteered, worked the steps, and took suggestions. I still feel fucking miserable and want to use. Psych meds that are non-narcotic do not help enough with my underlying anxiety and depression. I will relapse, but I know Suboxone would help with these underlying issues. I would go to a Suboxone doctor and say I'm close to using and that all this 12 step work has not been enough. I want to continue the 12 step work in addition to Subxone. The only issue is I have been sober for a while. Has anyone ever heard of someone being prescribed Suboxone after a period of long-term sobriety?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 am 

Yes I have heard of that on this forum, not at my own doctor but I know some doctors do understand that situation. I was completely abstinent for 5 to 6 months after I got out of rehab and I was so miserable! Total depression and cravings was so intense that I didn't want to leave my house. I did NA and the steps but nothing helped me. I finally relapsed and I wish I'd tried suboxone treatment like u are thinking....it would have saved me a whole lot of misery, I knew I was going to eventually relapse. My outlook at that time was....if I feel this miserable then I may as well use and feel good some of the time (not a healthy way of thinking I know). I think it's very smart, knowing ur heading for a relapse, to start suboxone treatment. Hopefully there will be a doctor that understands and will help u.

So if u were u, I'd go ahead and start looking around for doctors and explain ur situation. Is ur parole officer ok with u starting suboxone or are u off parole now?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:29 pm 

Don77,

Welcome to the forum. And yes, we have heard of it and it is not uncommon if you feel like a relapse is bound to happen. If you do start again, go with the lowest dose possible so you can decide later whether or not to stay on it. A lot of us are lifers and you may be one of them

FYI, I deleted your other post in another section as it was a duplicate of this one. You need only one to get a response to. (This paragraph will self destruct with 24 hours.)

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, I have people that have started Suboxone in exactly your circumstance. Longest was 6 months clean, but absolutely miserable and took a shot with seeing me vs. using. She had all the stuff ready just in case it didn't work out with the Suboxone. It is entirely reasonable and good practice to prevent the relapse that you feel is so close.
Good luck, you may have to do a lot of calling.
Confer with your PO. They vary, last month a PO referred me somebody for exactly the reasons you describe. Using would be a bad outcome and if they have your '6' they will understand.