It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Starting sub soon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will be starting suboxone on July 12th for my 15-40 mg vicodin addiction. My questions are alot, lol. Main one though is
How will it make me feel? I wanna feel normal again and not have to pill chase or come up with money to buy them.
I hate them and what they've made me. I have a beautiful 7 month old son, that I feel like I can't go out and do things with
Because of these stupid pills! I'm just ready to get well. I just don't know what to expect. Any stories, advice, tips or answers
Are very appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy and welcome. I can tell you that I've been on suboxone for over 2.5 years for my addiction and it changed my life. The only time you will "feel" it is the first few days you start treatment. Some people report almost immediately feeling "normal". Others it might take a few days to stabilize. It's also not unusual to feel a bit "loopy" the first few days, but that will pass. Once stabilized though, you won't feel anything. You'll take your dose like any other medication and shouldn't feel any different. At least that's how it is with me.

I know you're nervous - it's normal to be. And even though it's a very good, positive step, it's still a huge change. I'm glad you found the forum though. I think you'll find it very supportive and informative. And feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Again - WELCOME!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]Welcome Amy,
"These STUPID PILLS",,,Oh my, how I can relate and remember!!!(And, I must not forget that agony!)...
You will be in good hands w/ Suboxone.
Just remember what all that acetometophen in the vicodin was doing to your liver, and all those horrible withdrawls when your supply would run out,,,,NOT fun, huh?
Sub has worked miracles for me. Being an alcoholic also, Sub has managed to keep me sober for over 5 years now.(AA member, also)..
I used to love to procure myself some opiates of some kind, to help keep me off the booze. Then when I would run out of pills, usually, I would head for the liquor store. 35 years of that vicious cycle!
A few things that I have learned about the Sub program:(these may help you avoid some traps that come your way). And remember, everyone's different and these are only MY experiences. They may not work for you, or others.

-More is not better(It took me awhile, but it finally stuck).
-I've found that Sub works best for me, w/ a well rested mind, like first thing in the AM. I still take a dose in the PM but try to take less because the affect is not as good as it is in the morning. If I feel the need, I will take a small(quarter)piece before I go to sleep at nite.
-Vicodin or most other Painkillers will absolutely do you NO good! It's a waste, trust me!!!
-I usually warm my mouth w/ some hot OJ before I dose.
-No nicotine or caffeine for atleast 30 minutes before and after your dosage times.
You probably will read some of these suggestions elsewhere, too. But these are my highlights and I'm sure that I forgot one or two(no biggy, if I recall something important, I'll let you know).
One more tidbit: Sub makes some people groggy and sleepy. Very seldom Sub will react to me that way. Most of the time I feel super normal and happy w/ no cravings!!!
Hang in there and keep us posted....
[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy and welcome. I'm sorry to be the party pooper, but if you are only on 15-40mg of hydro a day I would seriously consider NOT going on Suboxone. If you take 15mg of Vicodin on a given day do you go into withdrawals? If not, you have a pretty low tolerance. Suboxone maintenance is roughly the equivalent of 60mg of oxycodone per day. So going on it will INCREASE your tolerance, making it more, not less, painful when the time comes to get off opiates completely. I apologize if I have misunderstood you. But if, in fact you are only on 15-40mg of hydro a day have a doc put you on a strict tapering schedule where you take 1 fewer Vicodin every few days. It will be much easier in the long run.

Suboxone is a very powerful drug. If you look around the forum you will see people taking up to a year to taper off of it. To illustrate the point, a dose of buprenorphine given for pain might be 80 micrograms. The dose of Sub usually considered to be the lowest to be at the ceiling, or steady state maintenance level is 4mg or 4000micrograms. Do your homework. Spend some time on the forum, and talk to people.
Best of luck,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought the same thing initially, Lilly. I didn't say anything because in Amy's post, it seemed clear that in spite of the low doses that Amy is addicted to, that her life is in chaos from chasing those pills and that she needs to make major changes. For that reason alone I didn't mention it.

I personally don't believe it's a matter of how much narcotics the person is/was taking, but more of a matter of how badly it's messed with their life. That's how I see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So you are saying, I don't need subs? I have tried weaning
Down off the vicodins and the pain was enough to almost make
Me kill myself. I've gotten down to 10mg a day and still couldn't do it.
I cannot go into treatment, as I have ^^no family, besides my husband
And a 7 month old son that needs me. I thought I was doing the best for
Myself and him by getting on the subs. I am now confused. I have severe
Depression from being on the pills, cry 80% of the day from the fact that I can't
Break away from them and I just want off them. I'm desperate and don't know
What else to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

And to be honest, it's probably been a month
Since I've only taken 15 mg. Yesterday I took 60 mg.
It sneaks up on me and I don't realize how many I've taken
Until I count them the next day. Now today Im sitting here with
3 wondering how to get money to get some. I'm just so tired of
Being this way. I wanna wake up and play with my son, take him
Swimming and to the park, not load him in the car and find pills.
I hate my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, you are the only one who can make that decision. Suboxone is a very strong medication, make no mistake. And it will likely raise your tolerance to opiates. Just be aware of that. And yes, you'll have withdrawals when you go off of it. You'll have to wean yourself slowly in an effort to avoid withdrawals. I think of it as just putting the withdrawals off that you already have coming anyway, so to speak. And like any medication, there may be side effects. But also, suboxone will keep you from having cravings while you're on it. That's a big one. During that time you'll have the opportunity to work on the self-destructive habits that go along with addiction; get therapy or go to meetings - whatever your thing is. You can stay on suboxone as long as you need. That may be a year, it may be more. It depends on what you and your physician determine YOU need.

I think you just need to be aware so you can make a fully informed decision. I really think it has more to do with what the addiction has done to your life (how bad it's gotten) and not the amount of opiates the person is consuming.

Oh and ask any question you may have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. Are you under a doctor's care, and if so have you considered an antidepressant? It sounded like you had already found a Sub doctor. Is he or she aware of the dose you have been on? I know how desperate you feel, having been there myself. But going on Sub is a big deal, not to be taken lightly. I still stand by what I said, if you can take 15mg of hydro a day and not be in withdrawal you probably shouldn't start Sub. Going inpatient isn't your only option. How about an outpatient addiction counselor? Also, any MD can prescribe comfort meds such as clonidine to help you get off the hydro.
I wish you the best. Let us know what you decide.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both for replying. I do have wd's at 15 mg.
I'm on anti-depressants now and anti anxiety meds.
I don't see the sub dr until the July 12th. I just don't know
What else to do. Like I said, I've tried weaning, cold turkey and
Everything in between. Nothing has worked for me. I'm at the
End of my rope with it and have ^^no idea what to do now.
I was on clondine (sp) and it made me violently ill. 15-40mg is
Probably not right anymore. I bought 10, 10mgs Saturday and they
Are gone now. I just don't know anymore. I was very hopeful about
The subs and now I'm not. I feel like I have nothing left to live for
Or be hopeful about. My life is in utter chaos. I'm pushing my husband
Away and honestly, if it wasn't for my son needing me, I'd of already
Killed myself. That's how bad my wd's are and how much I hate my life
This way. Now I have ^^no hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry you're so confused. It's my opinion that regardless of the low amount of opiates that you're on that you would benefit from suboxone. It's clear that your life is out of control. You said you've tried weaning and cold turkey and can't do it. Everything you're saying about your life makes you an excellent candidate for suboxone treatment, in my opinion. It's going to be okay. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll feel "normal" when you start suboxone treatment. Please don't rule it out yet.

Pretty soon, more people will respond and I'm sure you'll get more opinions and different perspectives. You don't have to decide this minute, or even today. Think about it. You have plenty of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, every single one of us on this site is an addict and we know how desperate you feel. Some of us have been in prisons and psych wards. But the fact that we're here is a testament to the fact that there IS hope. If you are suicidal PLEASE, PLEASE reach out to someone. Call the doc who prescribes your antidepressant, call a hotline or a call a friend. Do it for your baby if you can't do it for yourself.
Most importantly, don't let some anonymous person on a forum (me) put you into despair. I was just expressing my opinion, which is partly influenced by the fact that I was just talking to someone here who was put on Sub for 3 Norcos a day and regretted it. Your situation may be different. For you the fact that Sub is one dose a day, relieves cravings and stops you from going out for pills everyday - may be what you need. For some it also helps with the depression. However, you won't get out of this without eventually withdrawing. Please be very forthcoming with your Sub doctor about your dosing. Hopefully s/he will be knowledgable and medicate you in a way that is appropriate.
We're pulling for you. If you have to keep taking Vikes from now until the day before your appointment then just accept it. Don't kick yourself. Just take it one day at a time, and focus as much as you can on your beautiful baby.
Keep us posted,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy, I don't know if this has been mentioned, I was just glancing thru the posts, was reading them fairly fast because of time constraints, but have you mentioned how long you have been on the vikes?
Just in my own opinion, if you have been addicted, dependent or 'hooked' on them for 2 years or longer, I definately would do the Sub program. If it hasn't been that long, and you are fairly young, you can ween(as someone already mentioned) w/ the help of a good Doctor, healthy food and aerobic exercise(daily).
I've done this before along w/ many 12 step meetings added in also, and I stayed clean for 4 years, but then I screwed up,(long story).
I don't recall if you metioned that you are using now and all the way up to the 12th of July, but if you are off the vikes now and you're appt. isn't until July 12th, you should be well on your way to do this w/o Sub,(as fore mentioned).
I apoligize if this post was redundant on statements others have already made. My speed reading isn't all that great.
Hope some of this helps and doesn't just confuse you. You don't need any more confusion, huh?
Remember that your 7 mo. old son needs a sober(clean) mother. Main thing is; Do it for yourself, or nothing else will matter...
Hang in there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on them, off and on for 3.5 years now.
I am continuing to use them until my appt. After going over it
In my head, I would say my use Is closer to50-70 mg a day now.
I am confused. I really thought I'd found an answer to my prayer
But now it just seems I'm
Going to be stuck in this stupid pill cycle for the rest of my life
Which won't be that long if I have to go ct. Im not looking for
Sympathy or anything else. I just wanted to know if sub might work
For me. Now it seems that it's not the Answer. So I'm back to square
One and going to have to figure out something else before it's too later
For me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, here is a link from Dr. J's blog that addresses your exact situation. I hope you will find it helpful:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/2010/06/24/ ... pioid-use/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy,
My hydrocodone intake was approx. what your's is. Off and on for maybe 20 years, and then 2-3 years steady during the period before I started Sub. A real strung out friend of mine told me about this new drug that had just come onto the market. He told me that it made him feel normal w/ no cravings. I made an appt. w/ that Doctor, and he got me started on Suboxone. After a few bumps in the road,(expermenting where I shouldn't have been) and a few dosage adjustments, I'm completely OK and very satisfied w/ Sub.
Also, you won't die from opiate w/d's, but you could get to a suicidal point going cold turkey.

Make sure that you are in moderate withdrawls on July 12th and get started on Suboxone. That is my suggestion,,,,,
'just do it'.........
I hope this helps you, because it helped me!!!

Give your son a hug for me, please....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RSF. Thank you very much. I still believe sub is the best answer for me and my situation.
Because of my low dose I'm hoping to wean down quickly and be done with all these demons.
I truly want to stop and get better. Just very tired and sick of the lifestyle. I will keep everyone posted
On my progress. Thank you again for not attacking me and being so forward.
I need composure and normalcy, not chaos and stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Amy76, I think Hatmaker mentioned this, but just stopping the vicodin, taking sub. and then tapering off of the sub., is not going to " cure" your addiction. While your on sub. you have to work on the issues that brought you to addiction. It takes work and dedication, as well as a willingness to explore uncomfortable feelings and emotions. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

RSF. Thank you very much. I still believe sub is the best answer for me and my situation.
Because of my low dose I'm hoping to wean down quickly and be done with all these demons.
I truly want to stop and get better. Just very tired and sick of the lifestyle. I will keep everyone posted
On my progress. Thank you again for not attacking me and being so forward.
I need composure and normalcy, not chaos and stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

"Amy76, I think Hatmaker mentioned this, but just stopping the vicodin, taking sub. and then tapering off of the sub., is not going to " cure" your addiction. While your on sub. you have to work on the issues that brought you to addiction. It takes work and dedication, as well as a willingness to explore uncomfortable feelings and emotions. Good luck"

[font=Comic Sans MS]Very well said, stp747...[/font]