It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Amy, I'm new to this site so I hope you gety response. I started taking subs in detox Oct 2010 for a pretty bad addiction to opiates (I am also a recovering alcoholic) This was my first experience with recovery and I had no prior knowledge about subs or any other post detox treatment. I was the only "1st timer" in the group during my 10 day stay. I was tapered off subs (8mg for 4 days, 4mg for 4 days) however 2-3 days after the taper ended, I went into PAWS (post acute withdrawals). I didn 't actually know this terminology, I learned it as it was explained to me. As they were telling me it would get better, it got worse: sweats, chills, vomitting elevated Bo, the whole 9 yards. 2 1/2 weeks later, they put me back on subs, only 8mg/day and I honestly thought it was a miracle. I can only explain it as feeling completely normal. Contrary to a lot of "misinformed" people, there was no "high" or euphoria, just plain feeling normal. I am active in both AA & NA and am enthusiastically pursuing my recovery. Unfortunately, I have more recently become exposed to the negative stigma associated with subs. It really sucks because NA has a firm stance on acceptance re: "being clean" and total abstinence. Don't let that sway you. If your doc properly doses you and you follow it, I think you're going to be amazed. I have read as much Information as I can find on subs, from the NE Journal of Medicine as well as other medically reputable publications. What I have found is that all of the bad experiences people have seem to follow a common trend, they are started on a very high dose. My understanding is that our bodies can only process 32 or 38 mg's of subs, the rest we pass in our urine. Given the amount of opiates I was taking, I have done well on 16mg. I could not imagine taking more because I have very few cravings as it is. Try to educate yourself on how subs actually work. Get to know your medicine and it will give you defenses both medically and socially. I was a complete mess 8 mo ago and had very little hope that I would get better. I'm glad I went into recovery with no knowledge at all about subs or treatment in general. I had an open mind and was "teachable". I would love to follow up with you to see how it goes. If there are any other questions you have I would love to help. I'm not a doctor but I have had a very positive "real life" experience with subs. Frankly, I feels it saved my life. Hope to hear from you. I typed this all on my phone, so I hope it's not scattered and unorganized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 am 
New Poster
New Poster

One more thing Amy, I have 2 kids, 12 & 9. They're happy to have their dad back :) !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]Amy,
You are getting some tremendous feedback here.(and it is also helping me). That's what it's all about, one addict helping another.
I know my family are extremely relieved that I have not been 'messed up' for well over 5 years now, and that is after putting them, and myself, thru 35 years of on and off misery.
The ultimate bottom for us is '6 feet under' and pushing up daisies. You can get off the elevator on any floor you choose to.
Maintaining sobriety and clean time, for myself, has required hardwork and dedication EVERY DAY. STP747, stated it well.
You can do it!!!
[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Amy76 wrote:
RSF. Thank you very much. I still believe sub is the best answer for me and my situation.
Because of my low dose I'm hoping to wean down quickly and be done with all these demons.
I truly want to stop and get better. Just very tired and sick of the lifestyle. I will keep everyone posted
On my progress. Thank you again for not attacking me and being so forward.
I need composure and normalcy, not chaos and stress.

Hey Amy one thing i noticed was that nobody mentioned that you need to be 100% that you have not taken any Vicodin for about 24hrs. The longer you wait the better, but you need to be in moderate withdrawl for suboxene to be effective. If you have other opiates in your system and take suboxene, you will go into precipated withdrawl, which is complete hell. I had made that mistake 2 times before starting subs. Also, note that you will not feel well until about the 2-3 day, or even more. You might feel some relief, but you won't feel well for a few days (nausia, headaches, etc), but it will pass. You will get some normalcy back in your life, that is for sure, but please start on a very low dose (2mg).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Comic Sans MS]Amy,
The first time I started Sub, I did not follow directions too well and I failed. Luckily, a few months later,(after a drunken, pain pill/xanax indulgence) my sister called my Sub Doctor, and he put me right back on Sub, for good, this time. After a few dosage adjustments, I'm sailing right along, happier than I have ever been. Even though, I did not do the initial induction correctly, I'm still hangin', and doing well in my remmision.
I started feeling better, right from the git go(the second time). Dave is correct about being in moderate w/d's when you go in. The main thing is to follow the Doctors orders and do it right the first time. Do not be afraid to let the Doctor know if you start to get cravings and that you might believe your dosage is too low. Sub is weird. Sometimes, for me, 4mgs. are just right, and then on other occasions, I need more. I always try to stay close to the 'ceiling effect',(works best for me), if you are not wanting to taper down,(in which I'm not there yet).....
[/font]

Post subject: Do What's Right
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:32 pm 

Amy,

We are all concerned about your mental health and you've heard some great suggestions. My opinion is just about the same. I just think you need to go ahead and do the induction to Suboxone. Then for at least a year work on yourself. Just not taking Vics everyday will make a difference in your thinking. I was taking a bit more than you but after a year now I really don't think about them anymore.

Like has been stated, work on yourself in whatever method works. Some do well with meetings, others see a therapist, and some do no more than self awareness and research of our affliction. You'll do just fine once you're off the drugs and have no cravings. That was the weird part, no cravings! Personally, I didn't believe it until I tried it.

I wish you well on your journey to recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you everyone for replying. After alot of researching,
Reading, crying spells, a suicide attempt and soul searching, I
Have decided to get on the suboxone and am seeing a therapist.
I know I have a very long hard road, ahead of me and I'm ready to
Do whatever it takes to get better. My family needs and loves me. My
Husband is supporting me 100% and I have alot of friends on my side
To help me through this. I am already in a better mental state after
Coming to grips with my problems and a few visits with the therapist.
This will be my last weekend on pills and I am very excited to get started
On the next, new, happy chapter of my life. I'm better than what the pills
Have made me! I will beat this, I know this now and am ready to do what
It takes. My appt is Tuesday at 7:30. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks
Again to all that replied. I may never meet any of you in real life but you have
Already impacted my life so much, in a positive wonderful way. Peace, love
And cupcakes!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad you seem to be feeling better. And you seem comfortable with your decision to start suboxone. I'm confident you will be happy with that decision. I think you did a very wise thing by choosing therapy. Not only will that help with the depression you have now, but it will also help you in your addiction remission/recovery. I know for me, my therapy has been invaluable in helping me get where I am now. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Good luck at your induction and let us know how it goes. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Amy,

I think Suboxone would probably be a good fit for you too. You mention how you've already tried to quit Hydrocodone, but weren't successful.....that happened to me too. Hydrocodone = crazy hard to quit, that's how it was for me anyway.

I think the fact that you've already gotten a counselor is SPECTACULAR!!!! Does he/she know anything about addiction?? In my opinion, it helps to have a counselor who understands addiction.

I hope you come back and post, I would certainly like to hear about your induction onto Suboxone and what dose the doctor has you on.

Peace, love and CUPCAKES right back at ya!!! (Peace is cool, Love is cool, but Cupcakes RULE!!) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Amy,

Hi! I just wanted to say Im proud of you for deciding to get off the Hydro's. Even though our addiction causes great chaos and wreckage......its so HARD, to make that final decision to STOP!! But you did, and you/your family are going to benefit soooo much from this Amy!

I also wanna just say.....GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!! Im so happy you've decided to get on the Sub and into recovery! This medication can really help you to piece your life back together.

And for me, it not only keeps me out of withdrawl, and addresses my cravings......it also helps with my depression. Im not saying that I don't STILL have bad days. But, when I do......they're not nearly as bad, as before I began Sub treatment.

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. And try to be patient with this medication. Some people report feeling better immediately after induction. For others, it takes a few days or more to adjust and begin to feel normal. However you feel after induction, just know that THIS IS A PROCESS. If your dose dosen't seem right at first, it can always be adjusted later.

I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, good for you! I'm glad you were able to come to a decision that you are happy with. We will be thinking about you tomorrow - please remember to let the doc know the amount you have been taking so you can start on a low dose. Please post soon and let us know how it goes.
Good luck
Lilly

Post subject: Good luck!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All I have to say is that you sound like you have the right attitude - you WANT it to happen, which is the first step. Good luck on your journey back to normalcy.