It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Starting my own taper
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The MD is see that prescribes Suboxone is really creepy. While I don't question his medical ability, he is horribly abusive to his staff and quite condescending. My last visit was it!! I don't care how bad I feel I just can not go back to him. I have started my own taper. I started taking a half a strip twice a day, then a third and today started a quarter. I'll halve the third, then half the quarter and will go from there. I read so much conflicting stuff about sub withdrawal, I just wish I knew the truth. I know everyone is different but gosh when I read this forum it is one extreme to the other. I just can not believe that withdrawal from subs is harder than withdrawal from opiates. I was told that wd from opiates lasted about 3 days. Then I read wd form subs takes 2 weeks. I tried going cold turkey with the opiates but the restless leg thing is what was killing me. I am doing ok with the taper so far (of course I'm just dropped to a quarter of a strip today). I have been told it gets "hairy" when you get down to 1mg. I drop my dosage each Thursday so if I feel like crap most of it will be on the weekend. I'm going to try and get down to about a sixteenth before I stop completely. Now what I want is the honest to god truth. Tapering like I am, how bad will it really be when I stop completely?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello,

Even dr. Junig has written about his astonishment concerning how differently sub withdrawal affects people. That said, 1/16th of a strip I assume is .5mg (assuming you are talking about 8mg strips)? You should be in better shape than someone who jumps off from a high dose. If I am correct about your strips being 8mg, I would even suggest going lower than that to .25 mg about the size of a confetti- for a full week. I cut the 8mg strip into 8 pieces (1mg each) with an exacto knife on my wife's graphic design cutting board and than cut each of those into 4 which gives you .25mg pieces. I am on 1.25 mg now myself.

Anyway, at the rate you are going you might be a little tired, little depressed, might sneeze a lot after you jump. Sub wd seems like a drawn out mini withdrawal, the more minimal the slower and lower we are able to taper. It took me approx. 4 moths to get from 8mg to 1.25 for example and I felt nothing so far. I stopped at 1.5 for 2 months because of surgery FYI but I think that will help me. Sub stays stored up in our fat cells, it takes times for them to come out. I'm back tho going to 1mg in a few days.

Good luck,

-glen b

Post subject: Doing it!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OK So I am down to 1/16th of a strip and will take the advice of others and try and cut this little thing down a bit smaller before I quit. It really hasn't been that hard so far at all but I know the real tough part is yet to come. I've noticed a few episodes of fatigue and weakness that I think is probably the effects of coming off all of this stuff. I am sweating so much less now and that is wonderful. I kept asking the doctor if the subs were causing it and he said he doubted it. HUH!!! Really?? I will be so glad to be off of every addictive drug I take. The end is in sight and it has taken 8 months to get this far. Never, never again will I be talked into taking any addictive medicine for mare than a few days. I was never told when it was suggested that I start longacting opiates how awful it would be to stop. I wish that picture had been painted clearer when I started. Hindsight 20/20 isn't it?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey, that's great! I would love to hear about how your experience goes. Subs used to make me sweat a lot too. I knew it was a problem when the menopausal women at my work were cold while my shirt was stuck to my back... lol. I can tell by your good attitude that you will be successful. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear your taper is going well. You sound like you have a pretty positive attitude that you can do this thing, and that will help you a ton. Exersicing every day, even if you really don't feel like it, will help a lot too. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Good luck!

-Jack Kornfield