It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Starting Monday
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey...after 12 years of prescribed pain pills for cancer long term effects starting with 3 hydroC to now with large doses of exalgo with breakthrough meds am ready to try Suboxone. I don't even know if I'm in pain anymore as I have not gone more than 3 hrs without meds. Just tired of feeling like a slave to meds. Nervous but excited....been miserable a long time. Have a great doc and staff. Does it work?

Post subject: Re: Starting Monday
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome livestrong, this is my experience on suboxone to treat long term opiate pill addiction (or dependency) and reducing chronic pain; sure buprenorphine works very well as a pain drug but eventually with time that unique PAIN that you only know about, works it's way through to your awareness. I thought of an analogy, it's like patching a bicycle tyre that's been punctured, eventually with time and testing of tolerance the air will seep through the patch and tyre will go flat. Hope that makes some sense as I'm no expert on analogies lol. But don't let me discourage you, it is very effective I find (Bup) and occasionally when pain is really bad simple pain meds like paracetamol (acetaminophen) can be your best friend, combined with Bup Suboxone. All the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks....started subs this morning and seem ok. Very drowsy....is that normal? I was told by my doc to stop exalgo Sunday morning and last OXY last nite. I was so pumped up I threw away meds etc.
I was actually concerned I would not be in WD for my appt at 830 am. Wow was I wrong woke up at 5am as usual. Did not take My normal wake up oxy and by 6 am I was in WDS BAD. Don't need to detail but DID e NOT think without opiates I COULD MAKE IT TO doctor. I told the nurse had I not thrown away meds last nite I would have taken them. Very upset,,I couldn't believe how dependent and addicted I am. Can not go 12 hours without terrible physical effect.
I told my doc and his nurse (great folks,,,,feel like I'm on a team) this and he actually said medical professional in my deal are partially to blame. ...(he is about 40... New to Area) as I built up tolerance they just keeping increasing dose or give me something stronger. That was 10 yea ago and now I can't go 3 hr with out violent WDS.
Anyway good news Suboxone worked in 30 minutes. Had to take a bit more which made me DROWSY. doc had me lay down and I slept some. Home now still drowsy but ready to roll
Thanks for letting me ramble

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:11 pm 

Livestroug,
Welcome to sub treatment. Pain people have differe t levels of relief. You will only know yourself as time gos by,
. Im not a chronic pain person.

I will tell you that syb has worked miracles in my life in many ways. Painpill addict, 200,250mgs a day. Started at 16mgs of sub, then down to 12. Everyone is different in the begini g. How much sub a person needs really depends on each persons level of opiate intake. After 3 1/2 years , in at 5 mgs today. So, im glad you have made this jump, and hope you find and stabize in the next few days, the dose that
works for you.
Bupe is very powerful, and alittle can go a loug way. Your sleepish, ? Well you might be today. Your going though a change. It ll take some time..
im not a dr, and wont tell you where your dose should be, or its to high or low this first day. Just check in with your dr an nurse, sounds like you hacea good team there..congrats LIVESTROUG, love the name, becuz your are, living stroug...

Razor55......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Razor... day 2 feel ok. Still a bit loopy...a occasional mild headache..nurse called and we talked about it. She said give myself 3 or 4 days before any changes are made. My dream would be to just have to take twice a day. I hated that part of my dependence. Making sure I had my daily supply,counting pills etc.
I am keeping a journal of when I take it and amount and am lucky I have 2 way communication with my doc and would love to one day be opiate free.
In all honesty as my meds were being increased to more volume and stronger types and I knew how dependent I was but I rationalize I probably be dead from cancer b4 I have to deal with my addiction. It was crazy thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:59 pm 

Hey Livestroug, you will stablize this week.
Plus, its possible you may only need to take it twice a day.
I have no idea what ki d of pain you have had to deal with all these years, but this is pain
management in America .
And opiate addicts or users, well we do think crazy thoughts thats for sure. Lol..
So, ya, just see how the week gos then see what your team says too..hang in there, your stroug, andca survivor, thats for sure..razor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 pm 

Hi Livestrong,

Welcome to our forum and I was just wondering how you are settling in with the Suboxone. A lot of us needed to taper down to comfortable dose after a month or more of taking it. Give it some time and your body will adjust.

If you are taking it for pain then twice a day may work for you. I too had cancer and the pain was intolerable for at least a week. But I was already on Sub and my doctor switched me over to Hydro. That didn't do anything. I needed something much stronger but my surgeon refused to discuss it. I ended up back on my Suboxone and felt better on it.

I had tongue cancer and am two years out of rads and clean. They only took a small bit of my tongue so I can still talk and swallow okay. Care to share what kind of cancer you have? If not, feel free to use the PM function instead and we'll chat.

Hope you're feeling better,

rule

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Rule.... It was throat cancer. After Dissection with follow up throat radiation and chemo. NSA you know this type of radiation is the worse cancer treatment and very hard. I was started on high doses and strengths of opioids. About 6 months later I broke my back which just added to my opiate needs.
Now 12 years later I don't even know if I even have pain anymore. I know I was highly dependent both physically and mentally but was petrified of not having them. As probably most people on these forums know the daily craziness of counting pills, planning days around that counting etc etc etc. I had come to hate it.
The start of the path to Suboxone was when I was hospitalized about 6 months ago with bad pneumonia and the doctors could not regulate my pain with what should have been normal doses of opiates and even had one nurse say a horse would be out by now. HAH. I was ashamed to tell these doctors about my opioid dependence but I knew then this cycle of increased tolerance was never gonna end. I shared this shortly afterward with my PM Doc and he mentioned Suboxone. I had never heard of it but the seed was planted. There was no pressure from him. His only rule was if he ever found out I was getting anything from other docs I was done. Long story short out of blue at my last appt I said I'm ready. One week in and the jury still out. I do like my head being clearer