It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello from the Pacific NW. I've been messing around with methadone for a while and now want to get on Suboxone, so I have an appointment next week at a clinic and they are going to start titrating the methadone downwards for 30 days, then on to the Sub.

Here is what scares me: Being dependent on a clinic for daily doses! I know the reasoning, but what happens in case of natural disaster, ice storm, earthquake, whatever? Do we just have to suffer with no medication? I would much rather have a private dr give me a script so I could have a bottle in hand, but that's not available. I just wondered how others deal with this fear.

Thanks! I look forward to participating in this forum. (About me: 61-year-old female, work at home, very reclusive and loving it!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Marilyn and welcome to the forum. So you plan getting on methadone legitimately and are concerned about daily at-clinic dosing? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) That does suck! But just focus on the fact that it's only temporary. Once you get your dose and tolerance down to the right level to make the transition to suboxone, then it's fill your script at the pharmacy for you. I've never been in that position with methadone, but I can sure imagine what a pain it can be and I feel for you. Hang in there and congrats on your decision to start sub treatment/maintenance. You will not be sorry. Again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is very typical of methadone clinics. It usually takes several months or even longer to earn the privilege of what they call "take homes" where you no longer have to visit the clinic each day for your dose. This is due to the fact that methadone is easily abused.

Hatmaker's right though, once you make the switch, you'll be all set, because suboxone is generally administered by prescription, and almost always in at least 30 day intervals, sometimes longer.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My understanding is that the clinic, after 30 days of titrating me down on methadone, will put me on Suboxone and titrate me down on THAT for 60 days. So the whole program is 90 days. But the drawback and the scariest thing to me is that they DO NOT give a script for the Sub -- I have to go in there every day to get my pill.

So, as addicts do, I am worrying ahead of time and scaring myself to death: what if I can't make it for the reasons I mentioned above? Are there fallback provisions that clinics have for such eventualities, like call an emergency room so I could get a dose or something? I so hate to be dependent on a clinic, but that is the only option for me.

They also have 12 step meetings there. In my mind, there is no recovery from this addiction; there are just band-aids and Suboxone seems the perfect one to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, perhaps the long half-life of suboxone will put you at ease? The half-life of suboxone is 36 hours. Meaning, if you take, say, 10mg now, 36 hours from now, you'll still have 5mg floating around inside you....meaning, if you missed one dose you are unlikely to experience any major side effects from it. Sorry I mis-read your initial post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for info on the half-life. That does put my mind at ease.

But I also want (just being honest) to see if I can find a couple of Sub to buy somewhere, on the street, anywhere, just so I have them on hand in case of emergency. Survivalist instincts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

marilynj55 wrote:
Thanks for info on the half-life. That does put my mind at ease.

But I also want (just being honest) to see if I can find a couple of Sub to buy somewhere, on the street, anywhere, just so I have them on hand in case of emergency. Survivalist instincts.

That's understandable. Obviously, I would not condone breaking the law, but I understand why you want to.

Do you know how the medication will be distributed at the clinic? Will they just hand you the tablet and let you walk away or are they going to make you take it, then demonstrate that it's fully dissolved in your mouth? Because I was thinking that if they were just going to give it to you and let you walk away with it, maybe you break off a couple of chunks here and there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yes, Junkie, in response, I was thinking the same thing about breaking them in half or whatever. I don't know what procedure is -- won't know till I get in next Tuesday, and I guess I'll ask the staff then about my concerns. Pacific NW winters are not kind and in an ice storm it is impossible to drive, so they must have backup procedures in place (one would hope)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can tell you exactly what happens. You go a day w/out. Methadone has a 24-36 hour half-life, so if you miss one day it won't kill you. I'm not sure of the half-life of Suboxone, but I heard that it is actually longer than methadone. Believe me though, you can't wait to get there the next morning. This happens to us all the time in the northeast, especially the last couple years where we did have ice storms and I couldn't get out of my driveway to get to the clinic, and we all know how they like to close early. SOMETIMES you get a snowstorm takehome, but we don't hold our breath on those. Just plan on waking up real early to clean your driveway or what not. Gotta love how they would rather have us on the roads driving in 6 inches of snow @ 5 a.m. instead of giving us something to take home so we can stay off the roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you considered just trying to find a suboxone doctor instead of going to the clinic? You might not get in as quickly, but you could always switch over if you've already started at the clinic before your first sub appointment. Most sub doctors just give you a script, I mean, it's MEANT for office-based treatment, not daily clinic visits. It might be worth a try or at least some consideration. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have a feeling, and correct me if I'm wrong, that she has at her clinic the same as what we have at ours. It's a methadone clinic that has a license to prescribe Suboxone. Unfortunately, no one uses the Suboxone cause it's too expensive. IF we could find a dr. to take the job of prescribing it at our clinic, no one would use it because we can barely pay for the methadone as it stands right now. But IF we had a dr., we would have to get dosed every day also w/Suboxone. They sure don't make it easy on us, do they?
Give us a script of Oxy's that we pick up at the pharmacy every month till we're hooked, then when we want off, make us go somewhere EVERYDAY to get better. That sounds about right,lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yes, that is correct, that this clinic is first and foremost a methadone clinic and so they do make you come in every day to take the Suboxone. I think it's kind of silly myself, but I'm a nobody to be complaining about it (to them).

Anyway, I have taken Hatmaker's suggestion and looking for a doc closer to home in the interim.

One OTHER thing that scares me :) is the clinic putting me on my favorite drug (methadone) to start with. They'll start me out at 40 mg which is nothing to me -- I'm used to 150 and more -- but what if that triggers in me the desire to go find more and supplement and I never get to the point that I can get on the Suboxone? It's like I'll just have to be white-knuckling it for that month I'm on the methadone, telling myself, "You can do this, you can do this, you can do this, you don't need more, this is not about getting high."

But seems to me it's kind of like giving an alcoholic a little taste of scotch every day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Methadone isn't the easiest drug to transition to Suboxone from. For that reason, it's not uncommon for doctors to switch methadone patients to some kind of full agonist pain pill for a week or two (or whatever's necessary) before starting suboxone. And considering that methadone is your DOC, maybe doing the pain pill route might be the best thing for you.
I hope you have good luck in finding a doctor - and quickly. I know it's so difficult having to wait it out. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Post as often as you need!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hatmaker, could you expand on that, that methadone is not the easiest to transition to Suboxone from? That kind of scares me. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry if I scared you! That was not my intention. With "regular" pain meds, the transition to sub is pretty simple because they are - for the most part - short-acting. Methadone is very long-acting and instead just needing to be in mild-to-moderate withdrawals to start sub, you also need to have your tolerance down, usually below 30 mg. As with other full agonists, if suboxone is started too soon, then one risks precipitated withdrawals. For this reason, often doctors will switch the patient to oxy's or something for a week or two. Don't misunderstand me, it's certainly not necessarily harder to switch, it's just a little different. Many, many people make the methadone transition with zero problems.

That's all I meant. I hope I've explained it clearly. Keep in mind I'm not a doctor or medical professional. Let us know if you have more questions. Are you having any luck finding a sub doctor? Have you tried the online doctor locators? If you haven't or don't know about them, there's one on the main index page of this forum. It's a great place to start. Again, forgive me if I frightened you.

Post subject: response to Hatmaker
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Don't worry about scaring me! I appreciate all the info I can get.

I am calling doctors daily but I have no insurance and the cost so far has been prohibitive. I'm doing a few calls every day to find a regular doc.

I actually think I could just quit methadone right now for a week and go into the clinic and start on the Suboxone without them getting me full-on hooked on methadone. I take 150 mg. every third day or so and when I stop I don't go through full-fledged withdrawal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad I didn't freak you out or anything! :lol:

The manufacturer (RB) has a Patient Assistance Program that is for people needing sub treatment who have no insurance. I posted the info and a link under the "Links" section on the main index page. Each doctor can have up to three patients on that program. If approved for the program you would get your medication free for one year. Just FYI. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:59 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hatmaker, thank you!