It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've posted this elsewhere in the forums, so I won't belabor the details here. In sum, I am one of the lucky minority who are 'treatment resistant' - therefore, I was referred to a Suboxone-approved addiction psychiatrist last week. He agreed with the diagnoses from multiple docs and after years of battering my brain with SSRIs, SNRIs, etc... He started me on Suboxone 1mg sublingual once a day. It was, initally, quite potent. But, going on my sixth day now, the 1mg is much more mild and I think my brain has largely adapted.

But, I was wondering - and I've read as many of the forum posts on this as possible - if there is a consensus opinion on the dosage for depression in a patient not detoxing from opiates (though I did detox 3 weeks ago after being on prescribed Norco for a year).

Anyway, just curious if folks being treated for non-opiate w/d-related depression are commonly placed on 1mg, or what your daily dosage is for long term treatment of depression?

I meet w. the psych tomorrow as he is going to refer me to another Subox doc for management for long term care. Apparently, this current addiction psych treats folks w/ Sub primarily for titration and detox off opiates (and off Subox), and not for depression.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think Many Depressed people self medicate with opiates alot ,,,AND it helps their depression immensely ...until they become addicted and the meds stop working for them.

I fit into the above scenario. People take opiates to numb the pain mentally or physically. So suboxone would be a great fit for depression because it does fill that "void" and it lasts WAY longer than norcos do.

1mg is a great starting point for you. Especially since you really don't have much of a tolerance except for the year you were on norcos.

I personally take an SSRI and subs together and the combo of both really seems to do the trick for my depression. I have been on this combo now for a couple of years and no problems so far.

good luck and i hope this really works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you, Raudy, for taking the time to respond. I don't seem to get any "high" from Sobox, though I do get quite tired lol, and it does improve my mood. I don't get the "warm fuzzy" from this stuff, which is what I chased with the Norco. But, people obviously do get addicted to Sub for some reason (other than staving off withdrawals from opiates) - not sure why anyone would take this stuff for fun, in that sense. Suboxone seems to normalize me, in the sense that my veil of depression lifts (and yes, for a longer time than the Norco did) - I noted that Sub has a long half-life, which would seem to make it a great antidepressant, if you don't take more than prescribed (and I honestly dont know why anyone would, for the reasons cited above).