It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Started treatment today
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i finally had my induction appointment today after they changed it from monday. I hadn't taken any pain pills since sunday at 10am so im sure as all of you know the withdrawal i was going through for the last couple of days was excruciating and almost unbearable i knew if i could just take a pill it would all go away but i didn't i toughed it out like a trooper and made it there at 4pm today and got out at 6:30pm. I picked up 2 of my strips because my insurance needed a prior authorization. I took my first 8mg strip at 7pm and i feel amazing. Per the doctor i am to take one 8mg strip daily is that a normal starting dose? And when can i start to cut down after how many days? I am so grateful for this medication i csn tell already its going to change my life for the better but i also dont want to be on it for an extended period of time if its not necessary. Any advice would be great

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yay! You made it. I'm happy for you. I am also glad that you feel better- I don't believe there is a normal starting dose-there are so many variables and everyone is different. It is suggested by most that you stabilize before you start to think of tapering off. Did you tell your doctor that you do not want to stay on Suboxone long?? Now the work can begin. Relapse rates are very high for opioid addicts so you really, really need to build a solid foundation in recovery before even thinking of going off Suboxone or chances are high that you might relapse. This forum is part of my recovery support. My doctor loves that I can come here for support and information. I do too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 am 

Hi Dana, Welcome! So happy to hear that your induction went well! 8mgs once a day is a great way to start! It is a good idea to use this time to focus on your recovery and do the work needed to remain clean from your drug of choice and/or turning to substances instead of working on or looking at what is really going on. Please, keep us informed as to how you are doing. As is the case with Htown, my doctor considers my role here as part of my treatment. I am so fortunate to have an amazing Doctor and this forum! There are so many caring people here with amazing stories of strength and courage!Most importantly, there is a wealth of knowledge right here at your fingertips! Have a wonderful day!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 am 

Hey Dana,

I wouldn't be in a big hurry and already be thinking about when to start cutting bk. U just suffered through hell to get to ur induction, I wouldn't even be thinking about cutting bk already. Just enjoy the blessings of this medicine, when it's time for u to think about cutting bk, you'll know.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So i took my 8mg strip at about 7pm and everything was going good until about 11pm i got a really bad headache and started vomiting. This lasted all night. Should i call my doctor or wait it out? Is this normal?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm 

Hi Dana, I would definitely discuss this with your doctor. He may suggest that you take more suboxone. It really all depends on what your doc was, how much and how long you were using. I'm not sure where you live, but here in the suburbs of NYC a stomach virus is going around that is horrible! This is why it is so important to have a good working relationship with your doctor. Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Michelle. I did call my doctors office and had to leave a message so im waiting on a call back. There is a stomach bug going on around here too my 2 year old had it on saturday. Its possible that i have the stomach bug but i also have been reading that some people do not react well to the naloxone in the medication and i also saw were some people need to spit after the strip dissolves and i swallowed so im going to try spitting it out tonight and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:49 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

the clinic i go to starts everyone out at 16mg a day. the dr. said it's just because they have to start somewhere with the dose.
so, you could need more starting out. some people do throw up. i get a bit of a stomach ache but its not bad. i started at 16 but was down to 8 within a couple months.
been on subs for exactly 4 months today.
i hope you don't have they flu, too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 am 

Dana, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. I have heard about some very nasty stomach viruses going around various areas of the country. Spitting out the saliva for your next dose is a good way to hedge your bets. I hope the next 24 hours goes very well and whatever was bothering your stomach is solved now. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Dana this is Dana lol. Absolutely everyone is different. If you feel fine on that, of course don't go up. If you want to try to cut back and are uncomfortable, go back up. I'm sure everyone already said this, I just had to say hi to another Dana!and congrats on your crossover to suboxone