It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi All! :)

I've been on Suboxone for 2 years, and after weekly therapy, aa meetings and weekly urine tests, I'm ready to get off this. My dad, who is also on suboxone, has been a lifelong opiate user, and I don't think he is ready to get off, and I'm so grateful to this medication, I know it doesn't get him high, and keeps him clean, so I pray he stays on.
My story is a little different, I was prescribed oxycodone for a congenital hip defect, switched to oxycontin because it slower release, "less likely to be abused" HAHA yeah...right.
After 5 years, I was on the brink of divorce, lost my job, and my mind.
So suboxone has been great, but I'm ready to be done with it. I don't want to rely on anything to get me out of bed in the morning. Is that even possible? I suppose it is, bc pre-oxy-I was the happiest I've ever been.
So I started on 8, which was too much.
7 was the best dose, but I tried my luck and was able to get to 6.
after a few months, I got brave and went to 5 with no discomfort.
was the pain all in my head?
I dropped to 4 2 weeks ago and felt a little tired, but idk If I can contribute it to w/d.
3 days ago, I went to 3.5mg in 2 doses (2mg in the am, 1.5 in the pm) and I feel pretty good.
I feel proud of myself, and I want to be clean for my 7yo daughter.
I hear dropping to 2mg is virtually painless, and so far so good.
next week, I'm dropping to 3. I hear under 1 gets tough. I wrote out a schedule and plan to jump at the lowest possible dose 0.06mg/day.
I read a forum on here under the pregnancy category and a pregnant woman, reddie86 blogged her taper story and she did it successfully with little to no w/d- it INSPIRED me.
Is anyone else tapering? I was wondering if anyone wanted to taper with me! :) AA teaches us addicts help eachother, I wonder if it would keep us more accountable? but I also know, everyone is different. I hope my taper is successful and helps other realize, it is possible. I see a ton of horror stories, but I also see a ton of miracle stories and I think if you taper very slowly, it is easier.
I'm going to blog about my journey-how it feels, what I go through, and I hope to hear from others.
(Also- I realize, I AM still sick, and that therapy and meetings are ESSENTIAL. A few paragraphs up, I blamed my addiction on a pain problem, but reality is, I used everything and anything for the years before my pain problem. The only time I was SOBER was age 0-14 and 23-24 when I was pregnant) UGH lol, it's okay- I suppose we are all a work in progress.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 4 of 3.5mg. Yawning/eye watering this morning, but feeling good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Survivormom,

I know from experience it is hard to get used to wanting subs for "energy". Tapering makes me feel tired a lot. I have found that when I get to moving around that goes away.
I have a suggestion but of course do what is right for you. That is to taper off the late day dose completely and get to a once a day dose, it could be the morning dose as well. There is a lot of people that say taking it twice a day is just reenacting drug behavior and its mental because of the long half life of subs.
Anyhow my reasoning is that when you get to real low doses say .5 or even .25 it will get difficult to divide your dose. Even with the 2 mg strips a .125 slice is pretty darn small and if you have 8 mg strips its real small. And it will also help when it gets time to winding down, to me it was helpful not having to deal with dosing two times a day as well. Once and done till the next day.
I also wrote some things in response to a reply you left on my tapering thread you may want to check out. I would be happy to answer any questions (my opinion only) and wish you the best. I don't think there is any luck involved, it seriously takes a strong mindset and discipline to taper, at least for me it has been that way.

Take Care

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your advice! I'm so open to any I can get.
I was taking 2mg 3x a day (it helped with my chronic hip pain to space it out that way)....
But I think you are right. sometimes I take my morning dose, and when noon rolls around, I take a dose whether I feel I need to or not. Sometimes, 3pm comes around and I didn't even realize I missed a dose. I'm going to try that for tomorrow.
stay tuned :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

3.5mg yesterday, feeling great. I probably could have taken 3mg yesterday and been fine, I took 2mg in the am, 1mg in the pm but of course someone started talking to me at work 3 minutes after placing it under my tongue, so I was nervous I swallowed it...so I took another .5mg.

the other thing is...I have been dissolving it under my tongue for 10 mins and spitting it out. before spitting out, I woosh it around on my cheeks....I found that before I did this, I was getting headaches DAILY. Ever since I've been spitting it out, no more headaches. the narcan in it is a nasty drug..So if anyone is getting headaches, spit!

I've taken my 2mg dose this am, and since I'm feeling so good, Im going to try and keep todays dose at 3...stabilize for a few days and drop again.

Have a great day! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

2mg 6am
1mg 12pm
feeling great.
I think I'll be successful at 3mg, I'm ahead of schedule on tapering. hopefully stay on this a few days to make sure nothing hits me in a couple days. Always thinking about the long half life, thinking my body needs 2-3 days to catch up to the dose)
anyways 3mg-going strong. no yawning or nothing today
I actually feel excited about tapering, which is bizarre.
I never thought id feel this good at 3mg
:)
my plan: taper every 2 weeks, going slower when I get to 1mg
skip a day .06, skip, .06, skip (x 2 weeks)
jump

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:51 pm 

I've always taken my dose of buprenorphine in the late afternoon/evening, so I've never experienced a need to take it to get out of bed. I know that many people do, however.

I understand your desire to be in recovery for your daughter. My son is the reason I ratted myself out to my pain doctor and asked for help. Remember, though, that your daughter will not know the difference between you on suboxone and you off the medication. She only knows how you behave as her mom, and I assume you have been a much better mom since you started the suboxone. Active addiction is just a completely different ballgame. Still, I understand the desire to be off if you think it's the right time.

You are very smart to recognize that recovery is a longterm process that needs your attention every day!

My only suggestion would be to taper slowly enough that you're not suffering many withdrawal symptoms. Buprenorphine is definitely a medication that fits the description of the idiom: Slow and steady wins the race!!

I wish you well during your taper!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Amy - I think having a daughter is my motivation to be clean and healthy, if it wasn't for her, who knows where I would be. I am definitely going super slow. It is not very fun being sick, taking care of a child. I am super happy at how I'm feeling today. so far, it has been really doable. :) But I know the hard work is ahead. Definitely taking it slow. No rush here :) xox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Survivormom,

I just wanted to comment on you saying it will be no fun to be sick. I want you to know if you do take it slow that you should not feel sick at all. A bit tired and lazy at times but when you get to moving around it goes away. Sleep may become an issue but don't fight it, just blow through and sleep when you can the body will adjust eventually, remember none of this is permanent so someday before too long the whole ordeal will be forgotten, at least the way you felt. Remembering the whole deal in a way that defers further abuse is always a good thing though.
And also you don't have to have a plan etched in stone. When I started I wrote out plans and had to keep changing them, so I forgot the plan book and just started to go by how I felt, forgot about time and that makes it much easier. Hang in there it will all work out if you work it.

Take Care

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sounds like your doing good with your taper. i've been tapering as well. started at 16mg in sept. 2016 and i'm down to .5 mg now. the only time i had issues was when a dr. recommended me skipping a day, which was fine except 3 days later i had wd symptoms out of the blue.
my new dr wanted me to take my full dose on odd days and 1/2 dose on even days. i know that doesn't sound complicated, but for me it was. its a good idea though. he also has never asked, but i take my dose 2x a day, too. .25 in the am and .25 in the evening.
so i know i should at least to try one dose a day, but i'm super happy with my taper as is my therapist.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Good job. I'll be following you as I want to taper as well but I've only been on Subs since March but I totally want to get off any and all medications. It gets tiresome going to the rehab place to get it. It's not the cleanest place either )-: I hate going every Monday and now I have to go to groups a couple times a month. I'm just a mom who has been prescribed opiates for back pain for years and it got out of hand. I hate having to go where I go to get it so I'm wanting to taper off in a month or two. I only take like 2mg a day as I forget at night to take it so I decided to just not take it now since I was doing fine without it. Anyway, good job and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

SisterMorphine wrote:
sounds like your doing good with your taper. i've been tapering as well. started at 16mg in sept. 2016 and i'm down to .5 mg now. the only time i had issues was when a dr. recommended me skipping a day, which was fine except 3 days later i had wd symptoms out of the blue.
my new dr wanted me to take my full dose on odd days and 1/2 dose on even days. i know that doesn't sound complicated, but for me it was. its a good idea though. he also has never asked, but i take my dose 2x a day, too. .25 in the am and .25 in the evening.
so i know i should at least to try one dose a day, but i'm super happy with my taper as is my therapist.

Wow you're doing so great! I'm really happy for you. Looks like I will not be so lucky. I went into WD dropping from 5 mg to 4.5. I think I may be a fast metabolizer. Well, these are the cards I was dealt. It's going to take me a very long time to get down as low as you. I just need to stay positive.

Again, way to go Sister!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sorry no posting for a week, I've been on vacation with the family, and it went really well. Able to stay stable at 3.5mg/day. One day, I took 4mg and actually felt more tired during the day, so I'm sticking to 3.5. My next drop will be 7/30, unless I get brave. My plan was 'etched in stone', but you are right, I should listen to my body more. If I can drop sooner, I definitely will take your advice :)
To the person who felt w/d from 5 to 4.5mg, are you sure you got the full 4.5? I found that my daughter always seems to spark conversation after 2 or 3 minutes of placing one under my tongue. :roll: lol I'm amazed at how "good" I feel. when I was on 7mg and my dr asked if I wanted to go to 6mg, I was terrified, I wasn't ready. I did it, and felt lethargic for a few days..but I think it was all mental. I think for me, no matter what dose I take in the am, (6a-7a), at noon, I'm feeling like I need a 2nd dose. But I've been decreasing that 2nd dose without issue. so maybe just taking SOMETHING, mentally, helps :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello! Anything over 4 mg is more mental and for pain than w/d's. 2 mg is considered a maintenance dose, so be aware of that drop and give yourself some more time to acclimate below 2 mg (if you need it). This medication has a very long half-life. It take about 2.5 days for 1/2 of your last dosage to clear-up from the occupied receptors.

My advice to get over "humps" during the day:
1. WAIT. If you "feel" like you need more, tell yourself to wait an hour. Most of the time, the cravings subside.
2. Showers and Hot Tubs! The medication resides in our deep tissues. If you take a hot bath or shower, you will feel some relief.
3. Imodium AD. It not only helps with cramps, but it also helps with calming you down. The cramps will return, so don't worry about the constipation issue.

I'm tapering as well. I just dropped down from 5mg to 2 mg out of necessity. Doctors will tell you to alternate dosage every other day until you can get passed a step. I know your anxious and want to get this over with as quickly as possible, but it took a lot of time to get "here", and your body is going to need time to get "out of here".

One day at a time... Hope you're feeling well today, but play mind games with yourself. Wait. If you're not below 2mg, those cravings will go away. This much I do know, from years of experience. Going below 2 mg, I need help myself. Time and patience are now my friends.

Blessings and Hope sent Your Way/...ScienceDiva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sciencediva- that is amazing advice. I find that when noon comes, I take my 2nd dose...but sometimes when I'm out and about or get busy as work, I don't even realize I haven't taken my 2nd dose until 2 or 3. I will certainly do the, 'wait one hour' trick. I've always loved the..."If you can't imagine a week at a time, do a day at a time. if you can't get through a day at a time, try for an hour at a time. It seems to help. :)

You know what is really interesting too. (I almost forgot all about this...) I got married in 2011. I had been on Oxycodone from 2010-2011, faithfully, multiple x a day for chronic hip pain. When I went on my honeymoon, I left my script in the car at home and was without opiates for 5 days. NO WD symptoms. When our plane landed on that Island, I felt panicked, maybe the drinks calmed my nerves, but felt no wd symptoms. The body is an amazing thing. Being on OXY from 2011-2015, if I took 1 less pill, I'd be in severe w/ds.

I going to get through this.

I've been reading and googling successful suboxone tapers and have been ignoring the people who write about horror stories. I promise not to lie about my symptoms, but I'm hoping that by tapering slowly, I'll be okay.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:11 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

DeeKay wrote:
SisterMorphine wrote:

Wow you're doing so great! I'm really happy for you. Looks like I will not be so lucky. I went into WD dropping from 5 mg to 4.5. I think I may be a fast metabolizer. Well, these are the cards I was dealt. It's going to take me a very long time to get down as low as you. I just need to stay positive.

Again, way to go Sister!

aw :) Thanks DeeKay. Everyone goes at their own pace!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So true Sister! Everyone must go at the pace that their body can handle. I am finally feeling normal again at 4.5 mg. It's taken quite a few weeks (maybe a month or more) to feel great again. I want to feel like I'm making progress, but I'm going to try a different approach. Instead of doing 4.5, then 4.25, then 4.5 etc., I'm going to take 6 days at 4.5 and 1 day at 4.25. At this rate it will take me 6 weeks to reduce to 4.25, but I think this is best for me.

I think in the end this will be helpful for me. I also think that I will avoid many unpleasant WDs. Hope so. It's going to take me a very long time to taper off, but as we all know slow & steady wins the race!

I'm getting more & more pain as I drop though. Dealing with my pain is something I'm going to have to figure out. Maybe I can push through with ibuprofen. Wish me luck with that one!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

DeeKay wrote:
So true Sister! Everyone must go at the pace that their body can handle. I am finally feeling normal again at 4.5 mg. It's taken quite a few weeks (maybe a month or more) to feel great again. I want to feel like I'm making progress, but I'm going to try a different approach. Instead of doing 4.5, then 4.25, then 4.5 etc., I'm going to take 6 days at 4.5 and 1 day at 4.25. At this rate it will take me 6 weeks to reduce to 4.25, but I think this is best for me.

I think in the end this will be helpful for me. I also think that I will avoid many unpleasant WDs. Hope so. It's going to take me a very long time to taper off, but as we all know slow & steady wins the race!

I'm getting more & more pain as I drop though. Dealing with my pain is something I'm going to have to figure out. Maybe I can push through with ibuprofen. Wish me luck with that one!

Did you say you started smoking at 40? Are we talking weed or cigs? If it's cigs, please get off those ASAP! I've been smoking so much more since I've been on Bupe & I'm feeling worse for it.

lol, yes, just cigarettes! i've also gained 40 lbs! wtf? i've never had to lose weight before. this is ridiculous. 40 damn near killed me!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

SisterMorphine wrote:
DeeKay wrote:

Did you say you started smoking at 40? Are we talking weed or cigs? If it's cigs, please get off those ASAP! I've been smoking so much more since I've been on Bupe & I'm feeling worse for it.

lol, yes, just cigarettes! i've also gained 40 lbs! wtf? i've never had to lose weight before. this is ridiculous. 40 damn near killed me!

Oh Sister, please try to stop smoking! I've been smoking since I was 17 and I'm now 58. It would be so hard to stop now. Please try to stop. It's a horrible & very expensive habit.

Really sorry about the weight gain though. I've struggled with my weight all of my life. I'm now a life time member of Weight Watchers. I still slip & gain, but I have the tools to drop it back off again. Back at the first of the year another Dr. put me on Gabapentin. I gained 15 lbs. in about 4 or 5 months. I wasn't getting great pain relief so I dropped that like a hot potato! I worked too hard to keep my weight down. But I will use it when jumping. I have it ready & waiting to go for next year when, hopefully, my taper will be well on it's way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

survivormom wrote:
Sciencediva- that is amazing advice. I find that when noon comes, I take my 2nd dose...but sometimes when I'm out and about or get busy as work, I don't even realize I haven't taken my 2nd dose until 2 or 3. I will certainly do the, 'wait one hour' trick. I've always loved the..."If you can't imagine a week at a time, do a day at a time. if you can't get through a day at a time, try for an hour at a time. It seems to help. :)
I going to get through this.

I've been reading and googling successful suboxone tapers and have been ignoring the people who write about horror stories. I promise not to lie about my symptoms, but I'm hoping that by tapering slowly, I'll be okay.

I've had success after dropping my dose to stay there for at least 2 weeks or even more. That way, my body has time to heal and strengthen back up before I try to drop again (very slowly).

Sometimes I think people wear their bodies down with a drop and then drop again within like 4 to 5 days. That's just too fast IMHO. Week after week & month after month of doing this wears the body down. No good way to then head into a Jump.

I plan to be totally adjusted to that low low dose for months so that my body is strong and my mind isn't weary from WD's during drops prior to my jump.

Low & Slow wins the race here! Good luck!