It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So its my first time on this site.. I started suboxone today after a very long history of chronic back pain and opiate abuse. Im sadly one of those people who painkillers were made for because i have legitimate back problems and pain (as im sure most of u do) but i cant take the meds because i have the tolerance of a horse and cant control myself because of my addictive personality. Im gonna be completely honest here and admit i was taking up to 60+ 10mg Norco's a day.. I would take 20-30 Oxy 30's when i had them. :oops: Its like a compulsion and i just cant stop! I finally decided i was sick of it and figured i would soon end up dead or in jail and my 2 yr old son, who i live for, would no longer have his mother. SO here i am.. Day 1 of suboxone- after several hours in the doctors office i seemed to regulate at 16mg.

I feel good as far as no withdrawals. However, my back pain is SO bad i cant get the thought of my norco's out of my head! :cry: Is this gonna work for me? I asked my doc what i should do as far as my back pain now and he told me tylenol or advil! Seriously? I just laughed! I will say, he wasnt a pain mgt doc but im still wondering what my options will be. Im also wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get the persistent 'i need to take a pill' demons out of my head!! I almost wish suboxone was 3x a day so at least i felt like i was taking SOMETHING! How sick is that? Please dont get me wrong- I WANT THIS!! I want to be free from the horrible life i was living for so long but i think right now im just ambivalent. Any advice, experiences, words of encouragement are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance..

Post subject: Give it time!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:13 pm 
I also have chronic back pain. Suboxone can and should be taken multiple times daily for pain treatment as its analgesic properties only last 6-8 hours. Once you get to a stable blood-level/maintenance dose, your cravings should all but diminish; at least that's my experience. BTW, you are not the person pain meds were made for, you are a person who shouldn't take them...You're an opioid addict! Plus, in general opioids make pain worse in the long run and are less and less being prescribed round-the-clock for pain management...it's just not an effective/healthy way to go! Like I said, I have chronic back pain, pretty severe, to the point that I had been prescribed hundreds of mg's morphine and oxycodone daily for years. Even with all that, my pain was worse than it is today on ONLY buprenorphine! Try dosing 2-3 times daily and in a few days when you get to a stable dose, I'm sure you'll be 99% if not 100% better.

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

16mg is one of the higher doses for a first day on treatment. That being said, a couple of things could be contributing to your pain. How long ago was it since you had your last Norco? I understand the feeling of being on Suboxone and still craving. But it's also really important to at least give Suboxone a chance, and allow yourself to stabilise. You may end up on a higher dose.

And if Suboxone still doesn't suit your condition, there is methadone as well. I have been on both (not for pain reasons), and I'd suggest you give buprenorphine a real chance before considering methadone. IMO it would be better to be on buprenorphine combined with other methods of pain management than just resort to methadone.

Also, if you have never snorted or IV'd drugs in your life, your doctor may be open to the idea of Subutex. While the naloxone in Suboxone has minimal, if any effects, it sounds like you need to remove all potential barriers to make this work. IMO a person who hasn't snorted / IV'd drugs ever has no reason to require naloxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: honestly,
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:55 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I don't think that naloxone is worth a damn....marketing gimmick....i've known people who snort it, shoot it, the whole deal...the 'naloxone ' never bothered them..yep, like said take 3 times a day- don't go to a methadone clinic expecting analgesia - and ,no offence, how do you norco guys take 60???? and never complain of liver complications? stop the APAP!!!! 19.5 grams of tylenol! i I guess there's nothing more to add to this- Travis gave you a great answer, so I'm not going to re-type the same damn thing- good luck- keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Travis is right in that if one is being treated for pain that dosing should be 2-3X/day. But after reading iluvmyson's struggles, I fear that multiple day dosing will only reinforce the stimulus-reward pathways of taking something when she wants something - i.e., reinforce the active addiction behaviors of continued dosing throughout the day.

I say to wait on the multiple day dosing and see if you stabilize and the pain subsides. I also think it could be residual withdrawals. Pain like you describe could be considered a w/d symptom. Like Tearj3rker said, you might have to raise your dose. You only started today. I wouldn't mess around with your dosing at this point. Especially if your doctor didn't tell you to do two-three day dosing. You need to give your body time to get rid of ALL of the withdrawal symptoms and fully stabilize before messing with that dosing. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.. Day 2- I woke up feeling pretty good. I took all 16mg this morning only because I don't wanna mess around with my dosing yet. But I'm def gonna talk to my doc about splitting it up when I see him today. Question- he gave me the films. Can I cut them in half with a scissor or will that deactivate it? Had some trouble sleeping last night, migraine, some stomach issues and still absolutely no appetite (I hope I get it back for tomm!) My back isn't too bad today (yet!) I'm sure it will get worse 2nite when the sub wears off. But I also agree that the pain is prob worse because of all the norco still in my system. My last norco was about 16 hrs b4 I started the subs. And as far as the comment about all the tylenol I was taking- believe me I know! And I pray that when I get my bloodwork today my liver function is ok! Overall I am feeling better today than yesterday and def more hopeful that in a week or so I should be feeling good and free of the madness! New year new me! Thanks to u all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I will get to pm'ing you back, I just haven't had any free time yet. My morning didn't go as planned either. It definately takes some time to stabilize, I wouldn't even really judge it for at least a week or so. I agree that you should talk to your Dr about multiple dosing. I think it will really help your pain. While it is ideal to dose once a day to get out of the habit of taking pills thru out the day, I think that this can sometimes take some getting used to. I have heard of people that begin dosing 2 or 3 times a day in the beginning and then slowly adjust to once a day. This is a process and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with adjusting slowly.

I was on the films in the beginning and yes you can cut them. The only thing that would effect them is if you get them wet, so just make sure you keep them in a dry place. I am glad you are feeling better today, and hopefully you will continue to feel better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I forgot, if your Dr is ok with dosing multiple times thru out the day you should set specific times and take your doses at the same time every day. That way you won't be taking sub when you feel like it and I think will help with the self medicating habit we addicts tend to have. Just an idea, take care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks breezy. I did speak to my doc today about splitting up the dose and he said it was fine as long as I didn't go over my 16 mg. I hafta go back next week and take a drug test to make sure I'm taking the suboxone and nothing else. He also mandated me to go for therapy to treat the mental part of my addiction. Which is a lil hard for my since I'm a lisenced social worker and ppl usually come to me for therapy! But I know its needed. I feel blessed to have my doc, he's using my insurance and writing as I came in sick so he gets paid. So I have no out of pocket cost. He's sweet and understanding but stern as well. I feel hopeful with him and this forum for support. And my family of course. Happy thanksgiving to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad your doctor is working with you and YOUR needs. Let us know how you're feeling and what kind of dosing schedule works for you. What Breezy said about taking your dosing at specific times will definitely help you so that you aren't just taking doses according to how you "feel". Hopefully that won't feed your addiction as much (reinforce the stimulus-reward pathways).

Have a good holiday, yourself. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Nerve blocks ......
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:10 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Pain management Drs can give you injections in your back that works WONDERS , I get 1 injection in my neck ( the Dr can see the needle on an x-ray machine so he knows right were he's shooting the meds ) he keeps the x-ray so if the injection site works for you , he can hit that exact same spot again, My pain Dr is so good at this... Now the down side of this method- its very very expensive, I have good insurance, and after all the PPO discounts , these shots cost me about $200 each, without insurance there $1200 - $1400 an injection.. the shots last me about 12-14 months... these shots work soooooooooooo much better for pain relief than pills ever did !!!!!! The pills made me feel good though, I always lied a little and told them I had more pain than I did so they kept the Tramadol coming, Good Luck, Mike