It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Started Sub Sunday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Everyone

I am glad i found this site! I know very little about sub except horror stories of tapering & years of PAWS especially if older. I am older so it was very hard to finally take the BIG step.

My story has become a more common one with all the opiates on the market now. I have chronic pain & over the last 5-6 years i climbed the opiate ladder. My GP was writing the scripts & he never kept track so i could get at least two scrips a month for 180 Norco's then when i exceeded the limit he put me on oxycodone, 10 mg, first I didn't like them but then I was eating them like tic tacs & he bumped me to the 20 mg then 30mg. I did ask him for help & he had none to offer. I called several pain mgmt doctors & no one wanted to touch me. I was taking 360 mg a day. I found a doctor who said he could help me so i went to him in late June 2013. He put me on oxycontin 80mg twice a day with oxy 30's for breakthrough. That was not helping me! I had been considering sub treatment but was afraid because of all the negatives, i started calling in December 2012 to find a sub doctor but didn't get serious until April 2013 & still didn't start until this past Sunday. I thought i could somehow avoid the w/d process & continue to work.When i was on the norco's i tried to stop several times. Long weekends, my 2 week vacation (not a vaca when in w/d) i was never super sick just exhausted. I would read about how hydro w/d was a piece of cake compared to sub & i don't think that is true. I know after 2 weeks i was still not functioning enough to go to work. I have to work as i support myself..no job no house for me & my 2 dogs,

I finally realized i was a shell of a woman, no soul, couldn't taper, couldn't CT & called sub doc's - there were no openings but one doctor kept me in mind & called me to say he had an opening. I met him this Sunday , my last dose of oxycontin was Sat at 9am but i did take some norco's at noon. I don't feel that great. My legs are killing me but i did make it to work today. I didn't get much done but was there which was more than i thought i could do yesterday. This doctor is really nice, he called me several times yesterday & today. I will see him real quick Thursday then on the 17th i will see him for a month script if i am doing ok. I guess i will feel better as the week goes on & my body adjusts. I hope the legs get better!

So thanks for allowing me to post & I hope to get support & give support.

Post subject: Re: Started Sub Sunday
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tiki,

A great big welcome to the forum! Your story sounds very familiar...we have all got similar stories here.

You mentioned that you weren't feeling very good yet. What dose did you start with? I'm surprized that you are still feeling any symptoms of WD...do you think the pain you are feeling is related to WD or to the chronic pain you had before going on subs? How did you feel the day of induction? Did your WD get worse immediately or did you feel relief after the first hour?

I know that's alot of questions, but if you can answer some of them it might help us give you some advice.

I hope you feel better soon!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Be patient with yourself, when I was switching over to Suboxone it took me quit a while to feel kind of normal . This real scary stuff ! Good Luck , it's now time to get on Suboxone an stop worrying about pills , PLEASE tell us more about your first days with Suboxone . Mike

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tiki, and I would also like to welcome you here with us!

If you could kindly answer the questions QHorsegal asked of you it would sure help us to guide you much better! I'm very curious to learn the dose amounts you were inducted on and now taking?

I'm also shocked the good doctor agreed to meet you on a Sunday! I'm not sure I have ever heard of a doctor of any kind meeting a patient on a Sunday? But that's awesome and I'm happy it worked out that way for you Tiki! :D

Please provide a little more info and we'll go from there. Take care of yourself and we look forward to hearing from you again!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Tiki,

I noticed on a post you made in another thread that you were inducted at 4mg...is that right?

If so, I would bet you aren't taking a high enough dose to cover all of your WD/pain. Would your doctor be willing to go up to 8mg? Please understand, I think your doctor sounds FABULOUS! There aren't many who would come in on Sunday to induct, AND I think it's always a good idea to err on the side of not enough subs than too much. However, 4mg is a fairly low dose for induction and I would say it's a safe bet that's why you are still not feeling 100%.

Let us know how you are today!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Everyone

Thank you to everyone who posted to me! I couldn't answer yesterday because i was at work & sneaking the reading on my ipad LOL

I will try to answer the questions. The reason he met me on a Sunday is because we are sort of peers. I absolutely had to get off the pills even though i had many oxycontin left it was about my emotional & physical health. I brought almost a full bottle of oxycontin & norco's to him to keep in his safe. I have no cravings which is great. I made the decision to get off & tried to CT in January..during w/d my heart started skipping beats & i went to the doctor who immediately referred me to the cardiologist...i had a "cardiac event"..not a heart attack but very close. AT that point i had tapered down to 80-100 mg from 360. After that i got depressed & my dose went up again.

The first day (Sunday) the doctor had me take 12 mg..he gave me 6 mg in the office & told me to take 6mg at home. He had me get 8 mg & 4 mg films prior to the visit. So i took 4 mg at noon & 2 mg about 4pm. He had cut a 4mg in half. I felt relief of some w/d but not all, still had stomach pain & bathroom issues, no energy, felt like my arms & legs were weighed down & of course the constant leg ache/pain It was not PW's. He asked me a few times when my last dose was. I think the friggin OC were the problem. I had no SAO left so i had to take the OC Saturday morning to get to work.

Monday he wanted me to take 24 mg but i took 20 which still seems really high to me. The leg pain is not part of my chronic pain, it is the deep ache of the bones i have gotten when i would wake up in w/d & it would go away after i took the pills. I still had the leg ache's & was tired, unfocused & blah

Last night i spoke to a good friend who has been on sub & is now off for about 3 years. He said i needed to have the saturation of sub which should be Wednesday & then to begin to taper down. He wasn't clear on how much i should take today (Tuesday) because of the leg pain. He said to go by how i feel today but it's hard to judge. I haven't been "normal' in many years. He also feels that anything over 8 mg is not necessary.

Today-Tuesday-I have taken 10 mg & not sure what to do now. How much should i take? Do i take it all at once?

I have a hard time navigating the forums so if someone can help i would appreciate it. I live in NY - the city that never sleeps & finding a doctor on a Sunday is not a big deal but it was a big deal for the sub doctor to meet me. He did it as a favor & I am very grateful to him.

Again, I thank each & every one of you for replying. I don't feel so alone. I was a secret addict & now I am a secret sub/recovery person.

I don't mind answering questions so ask anything. I just need help to use this medication the best way.

Also my sleep is messed up. I can fall asleep but i wake up many times & don't feel rested when i wake up.
Tiki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you so much for all the great info Tiki. It really helps when everyone knows all the facts! Everything seems to be as it usually might be for most sub users. You were put on a typical dose that lots of us have been on at induction, and afterwards. I myself was inducted at 24mg and I remained there for about 2 years. I was a HEAVY user of lots of different drugs and really needed to be on it that long.

I wanted off and began tapering my dose down to 2mg and then joined here for suggestions and support to get off from there. I'm now 100% clean by 9 days today Tiki. Your just beginning and will have to find out for yourself how long YOU believe you should be on sub therapy, and when the time may be right to begin tapering or get off completely. There are many people that remain on subs for life, or at least they plan to do that and it's perfectly ok, and again up to each individual. Your life, your choice!

I would highly suggest that no matter what dose you end up taking each day, that you get on ONE steady dose amount for now, and let your body and system get use to that dose and begin to level out and get you stable. In other words don't be taking different doses each day or you may not find out what dose works best and what doesn't. Makes sense right?

You can take one dose per day or if YOU want to the dose may be split and taken in 2 separate doses each day. I have done it both ways and for ME taking 2 separate doses seemed to satisfy my mental appraoch to it. It helped me to know I had that 2nd dose to take in the afternoon once I had taken my morning dose. Totally up to you how you take it Tiki.

If it were me Tiki I would take the LOWEST dose that keeps you completely stable. Maybe try the 10mg first and see how that works. If you need more then it's there to take. Give the 10mg a few days to get fully in your system and time to work properly. You will know in a couple days if you need more or not.

Hope this helps and these are my suggestions. Others may provide you with different advice and you take what you feel works best for you and leave the rest it what I usually do. All the advice and suggestions are usually awesome, you just have to decide how you want to do things!

Take care Tiki and thanks again for sharing. I hope you have a truly great day!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Karen

Thank you for the quick reply. I think i will take 12 mg today because i have taken the 10 mg & know i will want a second dose later. This is so crazy because i just don't want to feel any w/d's, it's a strong drug & I have read about people doing fine on 4 mg a day. I will take most of your suggestions LOL I will do 12 mg for a few days & hopefully that will hold me just fine. How will i know it's not enough? Will i feel w/d again? I don't even remember what Normal should feel like, thats the hardest part.

Do i tell the doctor i am taking half of what he said to take or just not say anything? I am leaning towards not saying anything so i can build up my stash for when i am ready to taper or broke.

Will the sleep problems stop or is that something that continues as long as i am on sub? I know intellectually that it takes time & i have only been on sub 3 days but I also am an addict & want results NOW LOL

Are you in w/d? Do you work? I will try to find your thread...

Thank you so very much!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL. My thread is in the "Stopping Suboxone" section here. It's quite long, but there is lots of great info contained there that I'm sure will help you at some point. There are also many other threads there too. They are ALL worth taking the time to read and the information contained within them are extremely valuable.

That's fine taking 12mg today. Just stay on that dose for a few days and let it level out as I mentioned. There are many that suggest only taking one dose a day for a reason. Us addicts always feel the need to be taking "something" and usually taking that something many times each day. We need to get away from that kind of addictive behavior in my opinion, and the one dose way is a start to doing just that. I took one dose for a loooong time and then begin splitting my dose when I got down to I believe it was 1mg of sub per day.

As I said, it's all up to YOU Tiki what you do. There is no wrong way, just take your time and you'll get it figured out. If you believe you may find yourself really wanting to take more sub than needed, you might take 2 doses for now and take 6mg in the morning when you get up, and the other 6mg in the early afternoon, about 8 hours or so after the first dose. That's what I might do anyway and only a suggestion.

As for telling the doctor, again it's all up to you! My own doctor wanted me on it for life, and I wanted off, so I began tapering without telling him and saved my subs for later use. I was taking 24mg per day as I said, and tapered all the way down to 2mg and he actually believed me to be on about 12-18mg or so! I can't tell you to be dishonest with your doctor, but that's what I did! LOL. :D

I'm 9 days completely clean as of today Tiki. And yes I work full-time, but I am so lucky and blessed to be able to work from my home! It's the best thing ever and it took me a long time to be able to get to this point. I have to go into the office twice per month for meetings, employee evaluations, etc. I live close to the office so it's no problem!

Sleep is different for each of us. I myself had every little issues with sleep while on subs, but on occasion it was disrupted, but usually wasn't a huge issue for me!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Tiki!

Welcome to the forum! I think you are making a great decision to treat your addiction with Suboxone. Plus it will help for your pain too. Give it a little time for your body to adjust to the medication. I started to feel like my old self again after a week of taking Suboxone. I wish you all the best.!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tiki,

I'm relieved to see I was wrong about your starting dose. By the sound of things, you have come to a good conclusion. Staying at about 12mgs for a few days and allowing it time to saturate your receptors really good. It's not uncommon for people with high tolerances to still feel a bit of WD for a few days. But I promise you will feel better soon! Keep your chin up and push through it!

As for not remembering what "normal" feels like. LOL, I can relate. All I can say about that is, you will know it when you feel it. Have faith tiki, I know it's scary but you have absolutely made the right choice! I'm excited to see you come back in a few days and tell us how GREAT you're doing!!!!

I bet the sleep issues will get better after your body adjusts to the subs. There can be a few speedbumps for the first couple weeks, but they aren't bad and don't last long. Even those are usually seen more in people with lower tolerances, and I don't think you fit that bill. :D

Good luck Tiki, I have a good feeling about you, I think you are going to do well!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Tiki, I'm new here too. Please stay around for a while so we can keep up with eachother. I was a "secret" addict too which makes me a "secret" recoverer as well! I think that may be one of the hardest things. I just do not want to go to any group therapy for this reason. I'd just rather absolutely no one knows a thing about me to be honest! Humans need humans to help them through things. This is a great place. And it's nice to be able to "talk" with people who are going through the exact thing you are. Those feelings of shame and fear do not mix well with isolation. So, please stick around. For you AND for me.

As far as my induction. I was on 24 mg and to be honest it was WAY too much. I settled on 16 mg for about a year and have been very very slowly tapering this year. I'm on 6 now. It takes days for your body to get stabilized. It comes on very slowly and lasts very long. It's a world of difference than other opiates and it takes some getting used to. I agree with everyone else that you should land on a certain dose and keep it there for a couple of days in order to judge how much you need.

Good luck! Welcome fellow newbie :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Getting good sleep was VERY tough for me at the beginning ... Thats why getting stable is so important... Taking to much Suboxone can keep you awake , not taking enough can keep you awake.. I've been taking 2 mgs a day now for 4 yrs , if I were to take 1 extra mg at 6 or 7 I would not sleep that nite .. Energy was also very difficult to find for months and months .... I would second brown eyed girls advice on trying not stabilize on the lowest dose possible , maybe you can get by taking 4 mgs twice a day , and by the way everyone has a stash of Suboxone , I left a life of taking 20 , 50mg tramadol pills a day , once your brain get used to Suboxone and receptors are full of Suboxone your pain pills won't make you feel the way they used to , if I took just 1 pain pill of any kind right now I would feel soooo bad , sooooo tired and shitty ! Don't go back to your old life , build a new one, Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Minnie wrote:
Hi Tiki, I'm new here too. Please stay around for a while so we can keep up with eachother. I was a "secret" addict too which makes me a "secret" recoverer as well! I think that may be one of the hardest things. I just do not want to go to any group therapy for this reason. I'd just rather absolutely no one knows a thing about me to be honest! Humans need humans to help them through things. This is a great place. And it's nice to be able to "talk" with people who are going through the exact thing you are. Those feelings of shame and fear do not mix well with isolation. So, please stick around. For you AND for me.

As far as my induction. I was on 24 mg and to be honest it was WAY too much. I settled on 16 mg for about a year and have been very very slowly tapering this year. I'm on 6 now. It takes days for your body to get stabilized. It comes on very slowly and lasts very long. It's a world of difference than other opiates and it takes some getting used to. I agree with everyone else that you should land on a certain dose and keep it there for a couple of days in order to judge how much you need.

Good luck! Welcome fellow newbie :)

Hi Minnie

Thanks for the post. I do plan to stick around LOL AND I am happy to meet you! It is hard when no one really knows what we are fighting.

I am going to stay with 16 mgs for a few days then drop to less. I know this is a very strong drug & it is also a weird one.

Thank your for telling me about your induction & the taper. Was it hard for you to get to 6 mg? Some sites say you can drop to 8 mg & not feel anything because that is the ceiling. I don't know what to believe.

Hope to "talk" to you soon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Painter wrote:
Getting good sleep was VERY tough for me at the beginning ... Thats why getting stable is so important... Taking to much Suboxone can keep you awake , not taking enough can keep you awake.. I've been taking 2 mgs a day now for 4 yrs , if I were to take 1 extra mg at 6 or 7 I would not sleep that nite .. Energy was also very difficult to find for months and months .... I would second brown eyed girls advice on trying not stabilize on the lowest dose possible , maybe you can get by taking 4 mgs twice a day , and by the way everyone has a stash of Suboxone , I left a life of taking 20 , 50mg tramadol pills a day , once your brain get used to Suboxone and receptors are full of Suboxone your pain pills won't make you feel the way they used to , if I took just 1 pain pill of any kind right now I would feel soooo bad , sooooo tired and shitty ! Don't go back to your old life , build a new one, Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks so much for telling me your experience. Sub is a very weird drug. Why wouldn't the pain pills do the same as pre sub? I am confused about that. I have no desire or cravings but since i am a chronic pain patient that kind of scares me because some time down the road i may need pain relief. Just curious

I am so happy to have replys here! It really helps me feel no so alone & answers many questions i have.

Thank You So Much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of using this as a journal of sorts & hope to update daily. After talking to a good friend who was on sub & knows me well & talking to the doctor (he said 24 mg) I have decided to stay on 16 mg for a few days. I need to get stable then plan my next move.

The doctor said he may have not given me enough the first day which is why i am having difficulty adjusting. I also have alot of stress right now with "family drama" & one of dogs is sick & on meds now & that could also be why i am having trouble.

First I have to say i do feel a little better today. I am hopeful that by next week i will be feeling much better.

So my issues are: crappy sleep, leg aches but it feels like it's moving down because yesterday my thighs didn't ache as much but my knee's did, no motivation & chain smoking.

Overall i do feel more "stable" & hope i can actually do work today while at work LOL

I am in therapy, it is with a new person. I have been going to NA but hate that if directly asked I would have to lie & not admit to being on sub. It's a program based on "honesty" & i have gotten to know people. I am afraid if i go they will know i am using sub because there is no way i would be functioning if not on sub. So the doctor said he has heard this from others & may be starting a group of his own with his sub patients & asked if i would be interested. I said Yes so there is more hope today than yesterday.

Also...my tongue feels numb after i take the sub & that crappy orange taste seems to stay all day!

Almost forgot, my dosing is 10 mg in the morning & 6 mgs before noon. What do you guys think? When should i take the sub & should i split it up differently?

Thanks Guys! Have a good day..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Tiki wrote:
Hi Everyone

I am in therapy, it is with a new person. I have been going to NA but hate that if directly asked I would have to lie & not admit to being on sub. It's a program based on "honesty" & i have gotten to know people. I am afraid if i go they will know i am using sub because there is no way i would be functioning if not on sub. So the doctor said he has heard this from others & may be starting a group of his own with his sub patients & asked if i would be interested. I said Yes so there is more hope today than yesterday.
Snip
Thanks Guys! Have a good day..

when I would try and detox myself, I knew I needed to go to NA. But I felt so bad that I couldn't get to NA! It was terrible irony. What is someone supposed to do? I always thought, well, after I feel better I'll go. But, I needed them most when I WASNT feeling better. I couldn't imagine having to run the bathroom every 5 minutes in my first meeting. Besides, in early withdrawal, I spend days on end sobbing in hot baths. Maybe they should put a hot tub in the NA rooms?

I would LOVE to find a sub group.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tiki wrote:
Karen

Thank you for the quick reply. I think i will take 12 mg today because i have taken the 10 mg & know i will want a second dose later.

Hey Tiki,

I thought you were going to stick with 12mg for a few days? Was that not working and you decided to take a little more up to 16mg? No problems, only curious is all?

Hugs,
Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Karen

I thought i would take 12 but i brought the wrong piece of sub i cut (6mg) instead of the 2mg so 16 will be what i take for a few days. I cut the 8 mg & put the 2mg in one foil & the 6mg in another & didn't have access to scissors to cut the six.

I spoke to a friend & he said stick with 16 for a few days & stop eff'ing around LOL

Sunday i took 12, monday 20, tuesday 16...so instead of dropping again to 12 today i am sticking with 16.

My legs are killing me...any idea's why or what i can do to ease it? It's a deep bone like ache, now it's from my thighs to my ankles.

This is not what i expected

Thanks Karen! XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds good Tiki... :D

Not sure about the leg issue or what may be causing it? I recently fell and severely twisted my ankle while jogging. Thought I broke it, but x-rays were ok. After ice of course I soaked in a tub of very hot water with Epsom Salts added and it made a world of difference! You might try that Tiki.

Karen xoxo