It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone..

So I have been clean since last Friday, and have gone through all withdrawal. Today, I was finally able to get into a clinic and I was given a script for 8mg of subox daily for the next week, then reasses..

I haven't taken it yet.. I am wondering, is cold turkey a better option if in my mind I know I am not going back to using.. I have way too much to lose...

This isn't a cop out to use again in the future.. I just don't want to be dependant on subox if I don't need to be.. any thoughts?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you saying you're completely thru withdrawal or still going thru it? If you're done, why go on Sub's now?

-- ji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't tell you how many times I've made it almost all the way or completely through withdrawal attempting to detox myself from opiates absolutely convinced that I would never go back and relapsed each and every time , really, that's how many of us ended up on suboxone to begin with. The roller coaster of stopping and starting, detox and relapse over and over became too much to handle. there's a saying that even though detoxing is brutal, stopping is the easy part, staying stopped is the HARD part. it also depends on whether or not you were only physically dependant on your original drug or full on addicted. being that you've made it mostly, or all the way through your WD symptoms, it would seem to some, "hey I don't want to take subs and depend on them now", & that's understandable, however, if your plan is not to take the Suboxone, make sure that you have some other plan for recovery in place, whether it be 12 step program, smart recovery, addiction counseling, or some other form of relapse prevention. it's also important that no matter what you decide to do, that you have a good support system in place. this forum is a great start on that front, imo. there are lots of great people with tons of valuable information and support, no matter what form of recovery you choose. Addiction truly is a cunning, baffling, and powerful disease, and sometimes no matter how much we have to lose, or what the negative consequences of our using are, we still relapse. it's one of the hallmark symptoms of addiction, continued use despite negative consequences. I say all of this not you discourage you, but to give you another point of view for considering your decision. it's more than just a matter of getting through withdrawal. perhaps if you dont yet have a solid recovery plan in place, and haven't yet cut ties with all using people, places and things, or mage any other necessary changes ti remain opiate free, you could begin your Suboxone treatment and while in treatment get those things in place so that when the time comes that you are ready,you can taper of the Suboxone. this is all just my opinion based on my experience and the experience of others I know who've been through this. I don't know whether or not you already have a plan for recovery in place or not, but if not perhaps consider filling and taking that script and going from there. I truly wish you the best, and please continue to post and let us know how your doing, what you decided, and to receive some support. :-) we'll be here for you to listen, try to help and give support and advice.

I edited this post to your thread to include a few links to articles written by our forum's owner and sub expert, about stopping Suboxone, and shirt term use of Suboxone. I hope you'll tread then and they'll help you in making this important decision.

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/short-term-suboxone/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/how-and ... -suboxone/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/stopping-suboxone/

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there, hope you're doing well this morning :-) wanted you to know that I have put some more time into researching and answering your question about taking or not taking your new rx for Suboxone, and wanted to make sure I gave you accurate information. I have also been in the position of deciding whether or not to use Suboxone in my recovery, and for how long. I found this article from choosehelp.com, very interesting and full of good information to help you with your decision, it's a big one my friend. I wish you the best. here's the link to the article:

http://m.choosehelp.com/topics/addictio ... treatment/