It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I have my appointment at 1pm tomorrow. They told me to be in withdrawal when I got there and I said to the nurse, "Well there are several stages of withdrawal for me, what exactly do you mean?" And she just replied "24 hours". So does that mean I have to have been withdrawaling for 24 hours or just not dosed in 24 hours? Because I know my body and I will be in full blown withdrawal in less than 12 hours after taking my last dose, so it will be very very very difficult for me to go through 24 hours of withdrawals, however if I dose last at say 24 hrs before my appointment, and not be high just to keep me well a little longer, by the time I go into my appointment I will definitely be in withdrawals, but not for 24 hours, just about 15. Do you guys still think I will be fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Ink and welcome!
I'm not a doctor, but I'll offer my take on your situation. I think the stage of your withdrawals is more important than the time of your last dose. Go to NAABT.org and look up COWS - it rates the stages of your withdrawals. You will find great information on that site.

Since I wasn't inducted in the "normal" fashion, I know there are others here who can better advise you.

Again, welcome to the forum, I think you'll find the people here to be very supportive, empathetic, and insightful.

Melissa

PS - I like your screen name.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, sorry I didn't post an introduction or elaborate on me I am just feeling like a complete piece of trash right now I had to work today in order to get tomorrow off and my last dose was this morning and I am already just cold/hot sweating and just want to scream and this is honestly the longest i've been off of oxy in years so i think my body is freaking out. type less, complain more I guess. I am really really really really really debating whether I want to go through with this or not, if I can just make it till tomorrow I know I'll be happy with what I did but holy god that seems so far away from right now.

This is gonna get worse before it gets better.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just hang on, Ink...There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I truly know what you mean, all of us here do. The withdrawals feel like they'll just kill us. But they won't ... you've got, what, 24 hours before your suboxone induction? You can do it!

Why don't you post an introduction for us. Spill you guts, get it all out. That's what this forum is for - it's another support system for you. Try to keep yourself occupied, which sounds really stupid when you're in the midst of w/d.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok maybe later or tom. right now i feel like i will throw up if i keep typing. ha. i tried to laugh at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey you've still got a sense of humor, that's a really good sign. :lol: Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome!!!!! Congratulations on starting tomorrow. DO NOT GIVE UP YET!!!!! You can do this and you will be forever grateful that you did. I can PROMISE you that. Now.....you do NOT have to wait 24 hours. I will tell you my story very quick because I am sure your attention span is low and we know you feel like total crapola.

Went in for appt. No one told me to be in withdrawal. I was on my last oxy as of that am and it was afternoon. Waited 2 hours. Doctor went to the ER for chest pain so couldn't see me. I asked Receptionist what I was supposed to do? I planned the appt. out right down to the line! She was so nice and empathized but basically said I had to get it off the street as I told her I wouldn't even be able to drive there the next day if I didn't take something. She did tell me I had to be in withdrawal (nice to know now). But my oxy supply was dry that day. I was able to get valium, dilaudid, percocet, and vicodin. I took those that night and took some in the morning. Went to appt. I was in VERY mild withdrawal and all the other drugs were "just" keeping me out of it. Was examined by doc. blah blah. He said if I was in more withdrawal he could dose me right then but I wasn't. So he gave me a script. I picked it up. I stared at that COWS sheet Hatmaker gave me all afternoon. Finally, decided I met just enough criteria and took my first pill. Called doc 2 hrs. later and dosed again and so on.

Bottom line. Look at that COWS sheet Hatmaker mentioned. That way, you can time your last dose of oxy so you are "just" withdrawing a few hours before the appointment and then will be in moderate withdrawal when you get there with least amount of pain.

Think of your day today with that last dose. Go back and think of how many hours it had been when symptom A came on. How many hours until symptom B. Figure out about what time you would have been allowed to dose today had the appointment been today. Then, you can figure about what time your last oxy has to be. You WILL make it.

Please let us know how things go and if you have to jump on here and complain about withdrawal all night just to have someone who understands and can get you through, then PM us, post to us, whatever but get yourself through till tomorrow. You can do this.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I encourage you to stay put! But, it doesn't have to be exactly 24 hours...It depends on withdrawals and the half life of the pill. I know when I was taking about 20 Norco 10/325 APAP I took a dose of about 4-5 norcos then about six hours later I took a half of a sub and I was fine. Everyone's body chemistry is different so of course I can't speak for you! Taking a sleeping pill or something if you have it and before you know it tomorrow will be here and you'll start your path to recovery! Good luck, we all wish you the best.

Please come and post on here tomorrow and less us know how you're feeling and if there is any questions we can answer. I just started this forum about a month ago and I can say this place has been one of the most helpful things in my recovery process so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:18 pm 
Hello Inkind! Welcome to our group!! I'm sorry you're struggling right now.....but hang on.....it will get better!
To answer your question, I can tell you the way I did and the way I've advised others to do it and have everything work out beautifully for your Suboxone induction.
A lot of the 'wait time' has to do with what kind of opiates you've been taking. If like me, you were taking short-acting opiates like hydrocodone (Lortab, Norco, Vicodin) or oxycodone (roxicet, percocet) you should roughly be about 18-24 hours out from your last dose of that drug. For most of us....that means we'd be in mild to moderate withdrawals by the time of induction onto Suboxone. That usually means the shakes, a runny nose, a bit of an elevated heart rate, dilated pupils, and sometimes restless achey legs and diarrhea. Everyone is different in how and exactly when their w/d progresses. That is why the COWS scale is helpful to gauge where you're at.
Now if you had been taking longer acting opiates (like oxycontin, ms contin, fentanyl patches,etc. that keep the drug in your system longer) that changes things somewhat. For those drugs, typically the wait for adequate w/d is a little longer. Again the COWS scale comes in handy to gauge whether you're in withdrawal enough or not.
In the best case scenarios, you will be evaluated by your Subox doctor and he/she will determine if the time is safe to begin your induction onto Suboxone and your induction will be done in the doctor's office. That way, they can monitor you and titrate up your dose properly to get you comfortable, and ensure that you will not go into precipitated withdrawals.
Again, if you've only been on short-acting drugs, you should be good to go at 24 hours post your last dose of drugs. You do not have to be in withdrawals the whole 24 hours.
I'm not a doctor either, just someone who has been through it and who has helped a few others get through it. I hope tomorrow will be the beginning of some phenomenol changes in your life. The day I started Sub certainly was a great day for me! So hang in there....you can make it till tomorrow.....whatever you have to endure to get there, I can almost promise you...it will be worth it!
Please come back and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

can i take clonidine tonight to sleep or will that mess with the sub tomorrow my stepdad has some i was thinking about driving to their house across town to get it.

god dammit i hope i post on here tomorrow laughing about how i feel now. i guess either way i'll feel good tomorrow whether im on subs or high. ok that was a non-progress/positive statement im sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Colonopin is not an opiate so yes you can take it. Hopefully that will help you sleep tonight and keep you level headed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

and another thing how the hell am i supposed to be in a good mood with no euphoria? if sub doesn't have any euphoria then thats what I took the fuckin oc for anyway so this may be a waste of time. I will just be depressed all the fucking time just no physical withdrawals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

omg i am about to leave work and then i wont have comp access till tomrow i hurrrrrrt taowiuearioawer ah!!! i feel like i have carap tunnel when my writst just touch the keyboard every single little ounce of bone just screams right now i have yawned 13 times in the last 4 minutes my eyes have streams of water going down my face i have to tense up every muscle in my body i'm sitting my back office just writhing around like some monster i feel like a monster alhhhh but i only have like 13 more hours just 13 more then i will be at the doctors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are doing far better than me because I would have taken something already.

Most people have lots of energy on suboxone even without the euphoria. You would be surprised at how you body just needs the narcotic, not the high, to feel good and "normal". For me, after having been on suboxone and then back on pain killers and now back on suboxone, I can tell you I didn't enjoy or care for the euphoria from the pain pills. Maybe I am different. I definitely liked the high from oxycontin. But after suboxone and then taking pain pills, the euphoria actually bothered me. I wanted to feel normal NOT high. Athough the narcotic made some of my depression go away and it took away withdrawal, it also didn't feel even remotely natural and I wasn't clear minded.

What I am saying is that you think you need that high to feel good but you can and will feel good without the high. If it was a miserable and painful existence and everyone still felt depressed on it, there wouldn't be such a great success rate with it statistically. If you just hang in there and give this a shot, you will be on here tomorrow telling us how much better you feel and that you are on your way OUT of active addiction and how awesome that makes you feel. You will be so proud of yourself.

You will get there. Take the clonidine. It will help.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just got off the phone with my mom she pisses me off sooooooo much sometimes i am about to scream and go shovel an 80 up my nose...but i'm not because that would mean she won. I called her to ask if I could come pick up some of her husbands clonidines when I get off because I'm withdrawaling and going to the clinic tomorrow, and my mother is extremely dumb when it comes to drug use and she says, "Oh I don't think that would be very christian of me to give my addict daughter pills i'm so sorry honey but you can get through this!" and I started to try to explain fucking everything but then realized that I was talking to a brick wall and she just thinks i'm telling her more lies I can't really blame her though for all the times I have lied and stolen from her, it just sucks the one time I really need her to help me help myself she wont. All the times I've called her in the middle of the night crying breaking down that I need help I need rehab she just cries and says "oh why did god give me an addicted daughter" which makes me feel worse but she does NOTHING to help me or make me feel better, then when I tell her I'm getting help for myself tomorrow she wont even give me one clonididne. i'm totally going over there when I get off and getting it regardless of what she says. I will sleep tonight come hell or high water. I know a lot of this is the WDs rambling but this is how I feel right now, embarassed, scared, and in a lot of pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That would drive me nuts too. I can hear how desperate you are feeling right now and it wasn't that long ago for me so I can almost feel it too. It SUCKS. I agree you may as well go try. It will keep you occupied and busy and not doing any oxy for a while. If you researched it online for her and showed her that is what they give people in the ER for withdrawal would she do it then? If she only knew that clonidine would REALLY help keep you calm and not using tonight so you could get to your appointment tomorrow she would give you the whole bottle.

If you can't get the clonidine you will still make it through. I wish I could be there with you and help you through it. Keep posting till you don't have the computer anymore if it makes you feel better. Ugh I remember what it was like to be at work through withdrawal. UGH!!!!

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Euphoria is a state of mind. After you take your first sub(s) tomorrow and all of that pain, aungish, and depression leaves your body you're going to feel so much better. Trust me, this is not you talking this is the addiction. The Euphoria on suboxone will be not having to feed the beast anymore, to shut up that stupid voice in the back of your head that says "More, more, more!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry your mom is causing you such grief right now. When you get on the suboxone, hopefully she will start to understand. You can start educating her.
What about any over-the-counter sleep meds, do you think that might help you? I think it's good you're using this forum to vent. (Don't know if you left work already or not).

About the not having any euphoria, well, once you start the subs, you won't have those cravings. You'll feel SO much better, you can't even imagine.

Just remember we're here for you. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I REALLY hope she got through last night and gets to that appointment today. I REALLY hope we hear back one way or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Me too, Jackcrack. Hopefully we'll hear from her this afternoon.