It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Stabilize or detox?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have taken 1mg of bupe, everyday at 6AM for the past four mornings (including this morning). I feel fine the whole day and most of the night. I automatically wake up around 22-24 hrs (in minor withdrawal) after my last dose and take another 1mg. I am comfortable in about 15 min and fall back asleep for another 3 hrs. I wake up feeling great for the whole day. That leads me to believe that I don't need to increase my dose, I am just assuming. My question is this- Should I stay on 1mg since I am doing so well or should I start weaning down further and completely detox? The goal is to be substance free, but I also do not want to relapse on a full agonist opiate. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Stabilize or detox?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi "1" I know absolutely nothing about taking Suboxone at such a low dose. I can tell you people are going to need to know more about your drug use history to give you much feedback though. Welcome! Bamagirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The reason for medication-assisted treatment is the high relapse rates after abstinence-based treatments. For a good description of medication-assisted treatment (which is based largely on methadone) Google 'TIPS 43' and download the 300-page pdf file. The focus is on methadone, but the principles apply to buprenorphine as well.

The goal with medication-assisted treatment is to remove the person from the cycle of use/craving/withdrawal. Successful treatment requires time-- usually thought to mean at least a year out of that cycle. I don't know anything about your history, but if you have a significant history of opioid use/abuse, you have two options, in my opinion, to avoid further problems. The first is to immerse yourself in a step program- i.e. go to meetings, read literature, and find a way to believe in the program with all of your heart. That is a big challenge for most people, but it is possible for people who have lost a great deal and who feel very desperate. I don't mean to make it sound like a BAD thing, because the people who can pull it off gain access to happiness and contentment that is very rare outside of those programs. The people who don't 'get it' often see recovering people as ignorant zealots-- but recovering people have the last laugh, as they often find a great deal of happiness through step work.

The other option, again in my opinion, is to get on a maintenance medication like buprenorphine or methadone for as long as possible-- a year minimum-- and then either taper off medication or consider staying on it long-term. There is no shame in taking a medication that treats opioid dependence. But there IS shame in getting incarcerated, losing families, losing jobs, losing one's self-respect, etc. Medication-based treatment can help a person avoid all of those things-- and only a fool would expose him/herself to all of those dangers, when treatment is available.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I have been using hydrocodone and smoking bth, whichever is available. I've been on opiates for four years. I wasn't a heavy user, but a habitual one. For example, I would take 50mg of hydrocodone in the morning or smoke .2 of bth and not use again till the next morning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi! What did you end up doing? I sort want to do what you were doing, start off really low so I feel comfy and not detoxing and then lower and lower quickly so I'm free from all substances. I also plan on working the program (NA, smart recovery. Cognitive behavioral therapy)
Did that work for you? I hope you are doing well :)