It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I am hoping that someone out there can help me with this. Today is day 14 (wow, time fly’s)! I am on 24mg a day and I am still not sure if what I am feeling is normal. I feel really tired most of the day and then at night, I am up every two hours. I don’t know if I am so tired during the day because I am not getting enough sleep at night or if it is my dose. My energy level is almost nonexistent and I don’t have much of an appetite and I am having trouble focusing on any one thing. I can still can "feel my dose" everyday, which is something else that is a little strange to me.

I will say that I have absolutely no cravings at all, no withdrawal and overall I feel pretty good. This tired feeling is really getting to me. My question is, at what point do you consider yourself to be stabilizing? Or being stable? I don’t know if it has just been so long since I have been sober that I don t recognize feeling "normal" and maybe I'm just obsessing over this.

I was going to contact my Dr. to see if I should take something to sleep at night and see if that doesn’t fix my issues but I don’t want to seem like I’m complaining. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Before I give you my ideas, I have some questions. What is your dosing schedule? Do you also dose for pain or just for addiction? Have you been on 24 mg since your induction? Then I'll let you know what I think.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for such a quick reply!!! I am on suboxone for addiction. I had a pretty hefty morph addiction for the better part of 8 years. This is my first time seeking professional help instead of trying to quit on my own. I was perscribed 24 mg a day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one before bed) this was my Dr.'s schedule for me to follow. I have followed this to the letter since day one. What do you think?

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a couple of thoughts. First, you're dosing before bed and that could be affecting your sleep. You could try adjusting your current 24 mg so that you're not taking a dose before bed at night and see if that will allow you to sleep. Also, it could be time to try to start dropping your dose. It's common to start out at a higher dose. Since you're experiencing a lot of fatigue and somnolence, it might be an indicator that your dose is now on the high side. So, you could then try just getting rid of that last nighttime dose and go down to 16 mg a day. Now, of course, I say this only if your doctor gives you some discretion with regard to your own dosing. I hope s/he does, because you're really the only one who knows how YOU feel.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The more I hear from patients, the longer I work in healthcare, and frankly the longer I live, I continue to be amazed at just how "off" some doctors can be. It reminds me of the old joke that goes:

What do you call the guy who graduates at the very bottom (last) in his class in medical school?

You call him DOCTOR!

If nothing else seems extremely clear at this point it is the fact that rarely if ever does any person taking Sub for addiction alone need nor should they be prescribed anything above 16 mg per day of Sub. The manufacturer themselves have reportedly sent out correspondence to Sub docs telling them they should not be exceeding 16 mg. They also strongly suggest dosing only once per 24 hours - most certainly not three times. Yet we continue to see docs doing that exact thing. Does it not make you wonder how many other "mistakes" they make each day with their patients?

From everything I have seen, read and experienced myself, exceeding 16 mg per day does absolutely nothing other than increase side effects. For many patients, once again, myself included, there is little to no difference in taking 8 mg/day and 16 other than less side effects like constipation and being really sleepy. I guess I'd first question what kind of a doc you have. But after that, I'd agree with what Hat is saying. She too has now seen dozens of people post here saying and experiencing exactly what you are. You are actually on a somewhat common dose for those who need to treat chronic pain along with addiction. If you are not treating chronic pain, you really need to consider dosing twice a day rather than three times and therefore getting 16 mg/day. I'm very willing to bet you still won't have cravings, won't have any withdrawal symptoms and also won't have these side effects. Now if you do have chronic pain, that's another issue and you may want to just not dose at night. Besides you can then stock up the extra sub to buy you some extra time to find another doctor.

Glad you found us here. Please keep posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi kellykins wellcome to the Forum". i have to disagree with the 16mg limit. us with fast metabolism drugs go through us faster' . the 2 dose per day also.
i have been on 22mg for a long time" and my doc is keeping me there. if i was below 16mg then i would be in high'er
risk, due to my other illness's and addictions. some docs ;like my doc is aware of my pain/depression/ mood/addiction/cravings/metabolism/ and just me as my self. some times i am pist off at my doc for the wrong meds,
but when he finds the right one it works. he is a shrink, and understands my problems more than my medical doc.