It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone,

So, I've been on methadone for a number of years now and my habit almost most of the time is to be on a "regular dosage" of around 10 - 20mg each day while every 5 to 6 days using 100 - 150mg to for one day of "relaxing". I'm desperate to get out of this cycle and would very much like to make the switch to suboxone. It's been approx. 110 hours (~4 1/2 days) since my last large dose and approx. 48 hours since any dose (just 5mg). I've yet to go into any real strong withdrawals, so I haven't dared to start.

My question is: even if I have go by the COWS induction sheet, will I still be in trouble considering the high dosages I would take about once a week? I'm also in a bit of trouble as I don't have the methadone to really stabilize at 10 - 20mg a day (although this has never been a problem before; I've been able to not take a large dosage for two weeks and have always been fine at the lower dosages).

I've read that you have to be at 30mg to start, so I'm just not sure where I land and am super scared to start induction not knowing how my brain/body will react. Anyone else here had a similar experience? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I switched and had a terrible time but only because I was on 120 mg every day. If you're tolerance is 30 to 40 mgs per day, you'll be just fine, actually you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! Follow cows for sure, something else I didn't do and paid the price for it. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi and thanks for the response,

I just started induction tonight actually. I took 1mg a little over an hour ago and felt a tiny bit better, so I'm now taking another 1mg. I waited until I was about a 21 on the COWS, though even that was a tough wait. Hopefully, I can induct at 2mg and be ready to get out of methadone forever. I'll try to report back when I know more.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome kinophile!
Good on you! It sounds like the switch is going ok and I hope it stays that way. Hopefully you will continue to post as we would love to know how it is working out for you. There have been a few ppl in or about to transition here and unfortunately, we never heard much after their initial posts.
As another who has been on methadone, I agree with pugmommy that it will be up there with other great decisions you have made!
Take care

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think experiencing some precipitated withdrawal is a normal part of transitioning from methadone to suboxone. The idea is to minimise it. And it sounds like you're doing the right things - taking small doses, increasing your dose slowly etc. I transitioned a couple of times many years ago. Both times I was on approximately 30mg. And both times I needed a day off because the transition was a bit rough. But definitely do-able.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi all, I'm glad we're on this subject. It's right up my alley. I'm currently on 40mg of methadone and it's my intention in the next month or two to make the switch to Suboxone. I'm doing so because it's much easier to get Suboxone under my insurance than methadone. Fact is it's near impossible to get a doctor to prescribe methadone unless of course you have a severe injury, which I do not.

I need to be on opiod replacement threapy for harm reduction. It works like an anti depressant for me and allows me to live a stable and functioning life. I have been on and off methadone half my life but have never tried Suboxone. I wanted to stay on methadone because it's what I am familiar with and it works for me but I can't find a doctor under my insurance plan to prescribe it to me long term. They all want to get me on to Suboxone so I've made the decision to go for it. I'm on 40mg methadone but plan to get down to 10mg at least before I make the switch. I will be seeing a Suboxone doctor next week and we'll see what he suggests. I hope he's fair.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing from anyone and everyone about their experience on this subject since it applies to my situation. I will in turn post how it goes with me.

Thank you all for your dedication and input to this site. It's priceless! megster