It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on subs for about 4 months now, I take about 4mgs a day and have noticed that after about the first month I started to develop very odd and specific sensitivities to sound and touch. I've always had a skin crawling reaction to really dry sounds like stones being rubbed together or the idea of cotton balls in the mouth, chalk board being scratched ect, but lately it's happening all the time, I can hardly handle the texture of most fabrics because they give me the chills from the tactile sensation. Also my hands are so dry all the time that this makes everything worse and it's also becoming psychologically compulsive, in the sense that I'll get fixated on these unpleasant tactile textures and that in itself will give me the skin crawls. Obviously a component of this is psychological, but I'm fairly sure it spurred from my initial physical reaction to subs.

My question is: Has anyone experienced this? If so, is there a remedy? Good lordy please let me know because it is slowly driving me insane, I'm serious, it's making me want to stop taking subs.

*Also, it isn't dose dependent, I told my sub doc about it and he just told me it was Wd's from not taking enough sub, but this isn't true because the symptoms are the same no matter if my dose is heavy or light, and I know what opiate wd's are like all too well and this isn't the same. My doc didn't help at all, or seem to care, these sub docs are such horrible people, they treat you like a cash cow. I'd really appreciate any input, my hands are so dry right now I'm gonna take a little advice from Of mice and Men and get some Vaseline and some gloves

Post subject: come on!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

seriously not one reply?!

Post subject: I'm sorry
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry no one has replied. I'm not sure I can offer much insight. Do you think that what you are going through is Sensory Integration Disorder? I've struggled with that for a long time. My skin crawls and it did before Suboxone and it did on Suboxone too. It got worse on Suboxone, in my opinion because the amount of Sub in my body would fluctuate and that make the symptoms fluctuate. My real trouble has been during the tapering process. Talk about sensory problems!!! Just reading the 'nails on the chalkboard' thing made me get goosebumps. I cannot wear any clothes that leave any part of my arms or legs exposed, because the air gives me goose flesh. It drives me nuts that my hands are getting the air on them. My hands are always freezing, but not dry so much. I'm sure this is very frustrating for you, because I know how it feels to try to talk to your doc about something and they just kinda blow it off and craftily change the subject....that sucks, doesn't it? Hopefully someone on here has something better to add!!

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One more thing....what about Neurontin? I know it helps tons with this sort of thing. Have you ever tried it?

laddertipper

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey LadderTipper, thanks so much for the reply and the information. Yes, it sounds like you have a more severe case of sound sensitivity and a kind of a different nature, but never the less your info really helps. I'm gonna ask my main doc who isn't my sub doc about that medication you mentioned. My girlfriend thought it was funny when I complained about how she needed to stop rubbing her denim shirt with her hands, but I really don't think people understand just how much stress this problem is causing me, to someone with no idea about it, it just seems funny, I think it's b/c the nature of sound sensitivity is usually depicted as a funny topic in comedies when someone does the chalk board thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've never heard of this being related to suboxone. I'd definitely see a doctor about this, if you haven't already. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I haven't been around the last couple of days. Take care and I hope you get this worked out soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

On a much milder scale I get this sensation with dryness of the hands. I believe in my case my hands dryness seems to worsen with age. Hand cream didn't help until I found "Eucerin". It is a miracle for me with this problem. I can relate to my skin crawling at the touch of certain dry things. My wife buys me little tubes of it at the store for like 2 bucks. It is a cheap thing to try...

I also understand you have other issues going on. I hope you get it figured out. I would start with my doctor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

oh my gosh I can't believe I found this post. I was searching google for a reason why suboxone makes me this way just reading this post gave me goosebumps when I go to work I have to wear rubber gloves because I can't stand my dragons Dry hands. I wear long sleeves even in 90 degree weather because I get goose bumps. When I go on walk withh my family the sound of the child strollers wheels on concrete with pebbles on street drive me insane. Sounds give me chills so so badly. My son playing with a balloon gives me chills, I tried taking more sub with no avail. Up to 30mg ..I don't know if more or less make me feel any better . This is the only side effect besides constipation. I thought maybe I'm dehydrated and been drinking tons of water and still nothing. This is a darn good topic . I have this problem very bad anyone please help. The OP has exactly what I have. Please need relief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I created an account just to comment on this thread because I have something very similar to what OP has mentioned and am really curious to see if this is isolated to just a few people or not even related at all.

What's weird is that I've never attributed it to my sub usage until I stumbled in here. It makes sense though. I've always had a slight sensitivity to things like licking Popsicle sticks but could at least hold it/think about it without freaking out. However, the first time I ever noticed that even slightly touching certain objects, most notably cardboard and other similarly grainy textures, would cause my whole body to break out in chills, was about a year and a half ago, approximately 6 months after starting my sub treatment. Now it's so bad that just thinking about these things gives me goosebumps. It's quite maddening. Especially when my previous job required me to lift cardboard boxes super frequently. In fact, that's what I initially attributed these symptoms to; frequent contact with cardboard maybe caused some sort of ...something? IDK. But the timelines match up.

The only thing that's different is that, while my hands (and feet for that matter) are frequently cold, they're usually clammy, not dry. So IDK. I know this thread is old but I wanted to add my 2 cents because I've not heard anyone else complain of this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:13 pm 

I can't touch stiff velvet or cordoroys! I get the chills and the crawling skin, etc, but this has happened since I was a little girl and it didn't get worse or better with subs. I've only ever met one other person who is like this with velvet and he is my 2nd cousin.

One of the things I've learned from my psychopharmacology class is that it's very difficult to predict the ways in which different people react to a medication. The mechanism of action of a drug may be the same for all people, but the side effects can be all over the place!

Amy