It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any treatment centers in America (or Canada) specializing specifically in Suboxone use? I've done a fair amount of research and haven't been able to find anything. I'm also weary and aware that the whole "substance abuse treatment" thing can be lucrative, and a lot of those places aren't worth the money or hype. I'm also not interested in rapid detox or anything of the like.

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge!
:D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:52 pm 

Welcome Sub,
Im not sure exactly what your looking for but it sounds like an inhouse rehab that jses Buprenorphine?

Suboxone was developed for out patient treatment. Aloug with counseling and/or 12 step/peer support.

Are you looking for in patient and sub? Try Hazelton, they have rehabs all over tbe country.

And they ALL cost money..28 day places are in the thousands any way you cut it..

Maybe tell us more about what you want or where you are at with this..

Razor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Like Razor, I'm not sure if you are seeing a place that detoxes off buprenorphine or a place that uses buprenorphine for detox. I don't know of any place the specifically 'links' to buprenorphine use-- either advertising it for detox, or specifically offering programs to get off buprenorphine.

Over ten years ago there were programs that offered buprenorphine to detox. But there have been a number of studies that followed patients who were treated with buprenorphine for less than a year. All of those studies showed high relapse rates-- on the order of 95% relapse within one year. Those studies discredited short-term buprenorphine 'treatment', and now I don't see it advertised.

Of course there are still the 'rapid detox' places, which you mention that you are not interested in... I suppose there might be an occasion where such programs are useful, but for the most part they prey off the hopes and ignorance of desperate people. Almost ALL addicts think, at some point, that they would be fine if they could just get through the withdrawal process. But almost ALL of those people eventually learn that addiction is far more complicated than physical dependence. I find it shameful that doctors who know better would make money from such people-- offering 'cures' that they almost-certainly know are nothing but false promises.... but then I guess that there are sociopaths in any profession.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm looking specifically for a place that assist in detoxing off of and treating the symptoms of suboxone dependance. I am only dependant on Suboxone, and take no other drugs. I don't think that I am an "addict" per se, in that I take (mostly) the same dose every day and do so to maintain normalcy, as opposed to get high. However, I have had huge difficulties trying to taper down and if I were to stop suddenly I would have WDs. I would like to do in-patient so that I can be monitored during my physical withdrawal from Suboxone and have access to intense counselling after the physical withdrawal has concluded.

Thanks for the info! Always appreciated! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is what I am looking for as well unfortunately for me and maybe you wherever you are located it seems to me so far that no one in NY does a rehab for sub patients because it is a med to keep you off of pills heroin etc already but they don't realize that they have created a bunch of patients who are now stuck on subs and can't or don't or won't get off. I'm trying to detox myself and am getting no where on the rehab route it would feel better to not feel alone in this. I wouldn't recommend a rapid detox that is what I will say it can and has killed people. Be careful all that glitters sure ain't gold... Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey Suboxoff, I wish you the best of luck, and congratulate you on doing so well!

I suggest that if you want to be monitored during your withdrawal, you might be tapering off too quickly. I have heard tell that doing it slowly enough results in almost no physical symptoms whatsoever. It's just fractions of a dose at a time once you get below 2-4mg, though, so that can be difficult. You might be able to find a counselor who can help for the mental part outside of a rehab facility. Just some ideas, maybe!

@SOS: "All that glitters is not gold" -- ain't that the truth. But there's also something I don't quite agree with:

Quote:
but they don't realize that they have created a bunch of patients who are now stuck on subs and can't or don't or won't get off.

They absolutely realize this! What do you think they thought, "one dose of Suboxone will fix an addict forever"?! The question of getting off Subs is a huge part of Suboxone therapy. It was originally not intended for long-term maintenance, and even today a lot of doctors won't keep a patient on it for more than a year or two. That's why tapering is such a big topic among Suboxone doctors and patients alike, and why the long half-life, partial opioid receptor agonism, and other characteristics of buprenorphine are so important.

But if you can't taper off, better to be stuck on Subs than stuck on heroin, I think! Even in theory, I don't think it's possible to make a pill that completely takes away someone's addiction; bupe is the next best thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I detoxed off of 16mg of Suboxone, inpatient, at a facility called Summer House in Miami, FL. Inpatient detox is expensive as hell, and insurance companies are now steering people away from it, even for heroin addiction, in favor of outpatient and Suboxone or methadone maintenance.

I am grateful I was able to do it that way. I had excellent insurance and got in under the wire (Feb. 2013) before insurance companies really started to crack down.

I had previously detoxed off of Suboxone by tapering, but the 2nd time I was on it I was really struggling because every time I got to a point where I became uncomfortable (at doses under 2 mg) I would give in and take more, sabotaging my taper.

I wish you the best,
Lilly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:15 pm 

Well hello Lilly!!!!
So glad to see you hear. Your story is one of hope. The high jump included.
Just wanted to say hey! Hope all is well

Razor....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Razor - its good to see some of you folks from the "old days" still here helping people. Don't want to hijack this poster's thread, but how are things going? I gave an update on myself in a different thread, "2 years and 8 mos. off maintenence..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 pm 

Yes, without a total hijack, Lilly you are one of a few ive wondered about over the last few years or months.
Uno, after some leaves after jumping, I do think if there leading a good life without opiates. I know your having issuse with sub now but very glad it is working for you, no matter what the reason.
When I first came here back in early 2012 your story I followed. You ve shown it can be done!!!! As Dr J says this is for life and we do the best we can each day.

Ive gotten some time over the last 4 1/2 years. Ill have 5 in Jan 14th. Love being here at the forum too. Hope you stay around . Your insight would be great to hear!!

Razor