It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If anyone is out there and willing to listen and help, I would be so incredibly grateful. I need an OB/GYN who deals with subutex or suboxone patients in the Baltimore area.

I have been off opiods for about 6 months, and about 30 days into my recovery I let my mental health therapist talk me into taking Suboxone for relapse prevention. I didn't feel like I needed it, but still followed his direction and went to see the sbx dr. anyway. The sbx dr wrote the prescription, and I even waited 2 weeks before actually taking it (when I saw my therapist next he literally talked me into it). I felt like, for once, I would actually listen to the doctors.

Now I am pregnant, which I see many of the people who post actually are. I shared this with my sbx dr and we were going to taper me down slowly from 12mg. The problem is, the sbx dr is only in the office maybe 2x per week, and I could not make it to my last appt for a new prescription so I had to cancel, and I couldn't get a hold of the dr for a few days after that. Since he didn't call me back (as usual... they are obviously super busy), I just walked in and waited for him a few days later, because I was def withdrawing and feeling awful, and he went on and on about how he won't write me another prescription until I disclose everything to my OB/GYN and get some kind of signed release form from him. So he basically let me stay in withdraw mode becuase all of a sudden he didn't want the liability.

My OB knows nothing about suboxone, and said it is out of his hands. I feel absolutely awful, and I am afraid of what I will do. I am "this close" to going out and copping sbx in the street, but I'm afraid I will end up finding opiates and end up taking that instead. Obviously, I just need to taper slowly, and I do NOT want to relapse!

Stopping 12mg of sbx on a whim has been harder than I expected and I can barely get up and brush my teeth. Maybe some of it is in my head... my husband def seems to think so... but I can seriously tell that I need some type of help immediately.

If anyone knows of an OB/GYN in the Baltimore area who deals with patients on sbx, I would very much appreciate the recommendation. My sbx dr won't help me without a release from my OB, which obviously I cannot get since he knows nothing about it, so I need to find a new OB asap, that way we can taper with Subutex or suboxone or whatever he/she thinks I need to do. Stopping completely was so stupid, and I am pretty upset that my doctor left me in this condition because he was afraid of the liability. I realize I wasn't supposed to get pregnant, but I thought he'd help me taper and now all of a sudden he's had a change of mind.

I really don't know what to do, but I am absolutely miserable. Thank you so much for listening, and thanks in advance for any advice you can share. You guys seem to be doing a wonderful job from what I've read in your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry you've been stuck in this situation. Please check out the doctor-patient matching service at NAABT.org, maybe they can help you find a doctor who can work with you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't been through this but let me suggest something....

A) Go back to the OB/GYN and tell him/her that you are in withdrawal and if they don't clear it then you will continue in withdrawal which according to research is WORSE for the baby. You don't have time to go searching around for an OB who knows something about sub and you need to get this resolved ASAP.

B) If that doesn't work, start calling sub doctors AND ob/gyn's to see if you can find someone willing to prescribe without the clearance or willing to give the clearance

C) It isn't in your head. I jumped off 12mg......this isn't in your head. Your husband might WANT this to be in your head, but it isn't in your head and he isn't you. Mine WANTED it to be the same way....but it isn't. You can't really jump off 12mg. You can...but it kind of sucks.

I wish I had more to offer you. Go the the suboxone-directory and start searching for sub docs in your area. Also get in the phone book and look for OB/GYN's. I am so sorry. I know your pain. When I went off at 12mg per day I had no idea I would go into withdrawal and it was a shocker.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't want to scare you, but it's definitely better for the baby if you resume Subutex and wean slowly. When I got pregnant on Sub, I decided to quit taking it too, ironically at 12 mg. I went one week and was so sick that I felt the aura of a seizure coming on. (I'd had seizures previously from a head injury). This scared me, and I called my Sub doc, who gave me a tongue lashing for ignoring his direct instructions to NOT quit my Sub cold turkey, and I went back on and then weaned down. And I later had a perfectly healthy baby who's now a perfectly healthy kid!

If you call and explain that you feel so terribly that you are afraid for the safety of your baby, they will listen to you. They do not want that kind of liability they'd assume by not helping you. Make sure you ask whom you're speaking with and let it be known that you are documenting it.

Grrrrrr! I'm mad that you aren't being helped!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

well it would seem to me that the dr prescribing the suboxone should have been aware of that liability prior to writing the suboxone prescription.. that's something I thnk all sub drs should recognize as a possibility when dealing with women....
isnt he more of a liability from encouraging you to take a drug when you were already weaned off all opiates... probably to fill his already over flowing pockets.. maybe bring that up to him or tell him youre willing to sign a waiver until you find another dr.. that is just fu%$ed up to me!
Im sorry youre dealing with this now.. at a time that hsould be memorable and beautiful...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:17 am 
It sounds like the reason your doctor excepted you and wrote you a prescription the first time is so he could get that entry fee. He cant just give you a prescription for an opiod medication, then all the sudden next month stop for something thats out of your hands. That seems like some little form of malpratice. He should know the dangers of just stopping the suboxone. So, i think you should take an aggressive approach with this one because i just dont see how he can do this. He prescribed it to you, then denied you. Wth?? He has to know your gonna have withdrawals which in turn stress's the baby i believe. I would be demanding proper care. Cuz this isnt right nor humane. Hes not following the, I will do no harm oath. This is clearly causing you and your baby harm. Im sorry for what your going through. Hopefully this will straighten itself out. Let us know how it works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 am 
Also, i dont understand why your therapist would tell you to do such a thing. Your six months clean, out of withdrawal and pregant, yet she/he tells you to take suboxone? If i have misunderstood that please forgive me. If not, that blows my mind. Unless, he/she thought you were at risk of relapse and figured it would be much safer for the baby if you were taking sub instead the chance of a relapse.