It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[b] Hi All,

I'm very sorry that I lost track of a post I made on this site pertaining to two questions I have,
both of which pertain directly to Buprenorphine:

I'd surely appreciate it if some with experience can help with their experience as
I approach some decisions:

1) Has Bup been used to treat alcoholics- Why do I ask? I have an alcoholic past
and have found recent desires to drink- While on 2mg/day I've had zero desire-
and I mean zero for alcohol- it was a "safety blanket for replase" if there ever
was one. Now I'm not taking it, but have a sub doc appt to present maintenance
therapy to him- he's my pain doc, and I've been off painkillers (a lot of oxy) for
about 50 days now- And I'm proud of that.

2) My second question related to a chemical called JW-18 that's said to ease withdrawal.
In my local smoke shope people are lining up to buy it in droves. It's called "herbal incense",
but experimenation has shown me that this stuff is basically pot- but still legal here even
though it was made illeagal in the Netherlands (what?) and Austria....

bottom line from a lot of research it contains a legal chemical compound called JW-18.
So tell me, what is JW-18 ?

Discussion for these questions greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The topic of how people on sub have very little interest in drinking has been discussed before. Unfortunately, I don't believe there have been any real answers and there are no studies confirming that this is the case (that I'm aware of). There has been some confusion about the naloxone in sub being responsible for this serendipitous effect, but that's not the case. There's another drug called naltrexone that, according to Wikipedia (not the most medically legitimate source), "is an opioid receptor antagonist used primarily in the management of alcohol dependence...". As I understand it they are entirely different chemicals/substances. So I can't explain why many of us don't have any interest in drinking while on sub, but I hope this info on these two drugs helps a little bit.

As for JW-18, I've done several Google searches and have come up with absolutely nothing on this, even relating to any chemical by that name. I've personally never heard of it so I can't offer any answers. I have heard about different formulations of synthetic THC that go by different names in different localities. One of them is K2. My state of Michigan is currently in the process of criminalizing it. I'm sorry I can't offer anything more on that subject.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So I learned that this JWH-18 or JWH-18 (apparently named by the chemist who discovered it)
is a psychoactive substance with very similar effects to cannaboids, but acting on different
receptors. There's a bunch of stuff on Wikepedia, etc. But from my past experience, this stuff
is weed....perhaps without the munchies, but it gives a distinct euphoric buzz. I would not be
surprised if the doc has seen a patient or two honest enough to say they are using it.
And the DEA has it on the list of "drugs to closely monitor".

So I brought my concerns about alcohol and how sub keeps me off it it to my psych. I first did
some research on Naloxone alone as treatment for alcoholism, which seems well- defined.
"Revia" is the trade name for the Nalaxone they are apparently using. It comes with the caution
that it may cause precipitated w/d's...but I've been off opoids for quit e while.

So I'll give this a shot along with my 12 step meetings (Grrrr at times) and continuation of the
excercise (running) that I've been doing. I work hard to stay healthy and keep myself from dying.

I'm not proud to say it, but I was way down there on the alcohol (beer) when I became severly
ill from an unrelated spinal conditions- 3 months inpatient, ventilator, two spinal surgeries,
and a paraplegic prognosis- Of course I was hooked to to a dilaudid pca inpatient, and when
I went to the pain doc after my final discharge (in my wheelchair)- "The pharmacy was open"
and only then did I learn the evil side of opiates- with ~2yrs heavy use I consider myself an
amateur, but one who wasn't afraid to crush-up three of those lovely 40 mg Opana tablets,
enough to kill....

So another day and a new challenge. I know I'm not the only one here who struggles, but I'm
fighting the good fight.