It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

What Do You Do To Unwind And Mellow Out?
Crafts; Sewing, Painting, Sculpting, etc 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Excersise; jogging, pilates, aerobics, etc 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Read 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Write; journalling, blogging, creative, etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cook or Bake; Cakes, Pies, Dinners, Snacks, etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Meditation, breathing excercises 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Martial Arts, Eastern Thinking; Karate, Kendo, Tai Chi, Reiki, Acupunture, etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Smutty T.V. and a cup of hot tea 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jump on SuboxForum.com for a few hours 'til ya feel "right" again 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other...fill in the blank... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I used to write as a way to relax and unwind; short stories, on-going series, poetry, even play-by-post role-playing now, though, updating Facebook and the occasional blog is about the most I do where writing is concerned. I'm hoping that gradually my lifelong passion for storytelling will come back to me but for now I've found other ways of keeping myself calm, mellow and happy while I travel this winding path called Recovery. Most recently, I picked up a nice little travel sized sewing kit from the dollar store for about a dollar forty-something and it came with about five spools of basic color thread, a thimble, several different sized needles, a needle-threader, a tape measure and a few odds and ends like various buttons, saftely and push pins. I've taken to making throw pillows from still functional yet outgrown t-shirts, etc and I tore apart an old comforter that was falling apart anyway and salvaged the stuffing from it to use for my projects. So far I've completed about three semi-large pillows and a few smaller ones. I made a couple teensy green plaid pillows for my three year old niece; "Barbie Pillow!" she cried happily, and then I showed her the second one; "ANOTHER Barbie pillow!!" It was so cute! Hehe. Anyway, I just wanted to share what I've found works to help me feel calm and collected and relaxed and find out what others have found that "does it" for them.

Topmost shirt to pillow is from a graphic novel series by Terry Moore called "Strangers in Paradise" (One of the main characters is a recovering addict/alcoholic but more than that it's a great series to pick up just thought I'd mention). The bottommost shirt to pillow is from Disney, of course. It's Tinkerbell!

Sincerely,

~Ami

P.S. Forgive my spelling on the poll, k? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've started hinting around to my significant other and family for a sewing machine, or even one of those hand-held ones that look like a stapler, for my upcoming birthday in May. Sewing by hand is relaxing and all but it'd be really nice to be able to get them done a little faster and be a bit better on my carpel tunnel that acts up every now and then after working for awhile with my hands.

~Ami

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What works best for me is exercising but with the condition my knee is in right now I am limited to walking or very slow jogs with a huge knee brace on which ruins all motion, so now what I do is take my dog for long walks. I suffer from real bad panic attacks along with pain issues so what I find best is getting outside whether it be 0 degrees or a 100 just being outside calms me so much. Then I just start walking and don’t stop still I feel better and no matter how much pain my knee is in walking my dogs keeps my mind off it for that little bit. My dog is my life line in a sense he’s so cute and the things he does makes me smile and that’s all you need so times when you are stressed or you are needing to wind down for the night just being happy is so hard some days and my dog can change that in seconds. But if I could vote for 2 I would put coming on this site as well. This is my second family because I could tell anyone close to me things but they don’t take suboxone but you guys do so you can easily understand what I’m going through no matter what’s going on. I find it so hard to talk to people who haven’t deal with addiction in some way. Cause they say oh Brent just stop taking suboxone and will figure out something for your pain besides medication I want to scream what don’t you get I wouldn’t be in this mess If I could of done that. Or why are you so irritated because you took your meds late. But you guys can understand that and I don’t have to explain my life story to you for help.