It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Alright fellow recovering brothers and sisters, I recently went from one and a half suboxones a day to one and a quarter. When I took one and a half a day I would take one around 7 in the morning before I go to work and then take the half around 5. Now for the last week since I went down I'm now taking 3/4 of a strip in the morning and half a strip at 5. But I just went to my DOC and he said he usually has his patients take there whole dose in the morning and not split it up but I'm worried if I take the whole strip and a quarter as soon as I get up I might start feeling crappy in the afternoon. (It would be easier than have to measure these things out and cut with a razor tho). If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

P.S - I have more of an incentive to get off these now cuz I have no insurance and once I'm off them I can use the 300 i pay a month for my new Lexus that I can't wait to get :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey welcome ,

The reason many doctors recommend once daily dosing is to get patients out of the habitof dosing multiple times daily to fulfill a need to take something. If your doctor wants you to only dose one time a day you can try the following: The founder of this site, Dr. Junig, recommends using the distraction method to get out of the conditioned habit of dosing more than once daily. In the evening, when you feel like you need to take that other half, try distracting yourself by doing anything or thinking about anything else for about 15 minutes or so. Do Dishes,walk the dog, folding clothes,surf the web looking at pics of that new Lexus :), anything to take your mind off of taking more meds, and that craving will go away within those 15 minutes, after practicing this method for a few days.

When I first started taking suboxone, my rx stated to take twice daily, but by using the method described above, when a week or so I was dosing only one per day. You can visit http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com to read more about this topic and others related to suboxone or how and when to stop taking it. Also as you lower your dose, you may be interested in the articles he's written about optimizing absorption of suboxone to make sure you are getting the most out of your dose. In the search box just enter key words optimize absorption and you'll find those articles. I hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks alot Lizzie, I appreciate the advice. So I'll take the 1 and 1/4 strips all at once in the morning. How much time between tapering the dose did you use? I went down to the 1 and 1/4 on Friday and I was thinking about going down to 1 strip on Saturday, then 3/4 of a strip one week later, 1/2 a strip a week after that, 1/4 of a strip after another week then stop taking it the week after. Or should I try it differently?

I've been on the suboxones for 3 years now (most of the time with no insurance). I can only imagine how much money I could have right now if I would have gotten off them sooner :(

I'm just tired of having this crutch. It's like having one arm tied behind your back and I just wanna get back to a normal life and not having to take anything to feel normal.

Thanks for the help.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's usuallyy not until you get below about 4 to 6 mgs (the ceiling), that most people begin to feel actual physical WD symptoms, so you can take your taper as quickly as you can tolerate until you get to lower doses. Right now, you're probably not feeling you drops that much because your blood level is staying above the ceiling level for the entire 24 hour dosing interval. Once your dose is around the ceiling, it's usually recommended to drop in smaller increments. 2 mgs at a time doesn't seem like much now, however, once you get to 4 mgs or so, that's a 50 percent decrease in your dose, and you're likely to feel that, so from what I read of other's experiences tapering, I would take a slower approach once you reach around 4 mgs. Kwim? I know you said you want to do this as quickly as possible, and I understand the financial aspect of needing to be done, but a slow, steady taper usually produces the least discomfort for most, depending on your tolerance for discomfort. There are many threads here with great tapers that may be of some use to you. There's a member her named trainer 14 ,who jumped at 2 mgsn which is actually a pretty high dose to jump from, and actually continued to go to work through most of her withdrawal. Many have found her thread to be very inspirational, so maybe check it out, it's called "Doing it" and is under the stopping suboxone section of the forum.

As for me, I've no plans of tapering further or stopping anytime soon. I feel clean, healthy and happy on subs, so don't want to mess with that. I just decreased my dose after a few weeks and realized that I was OK at 16mgs instead of the initial 24 that I was on (and needed) at first. Then I decided to try 12 mgs and also felt just fine. I have played with my dose trying to go a bit lower, but was uncomfortable, so I've decided to stick with 12 mgs for now.