Our Sponsors

Should we change to ninjapost
Yes 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 51
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all-- as you all know I've been thinking of some changes in the forum. After a great deal of thought, I am pretty sold on changing over to a new type of forum created by ninjapost.com . The best place to see it in action is at a site called dragonmount.com. It is very fast, and I hope to have the blog and some other pages linked as they do at dragonmount.com.

The MAIN change is in the way things are organized. As you will see at dragonmount.com, there are no categories for posts; there is only one category with a bunch of threads. You can read the rationalization for the arrangement at ninjapost.com; the idea is to eliminate all of the half-dead categories that get very little traffic or attention. You probably have the same concerns I do-- how the heck are you supposed to FIND anything? The answer is that all of the attention of ninjapost goes into the search capabilities of the program. Instead of going to the 'side effect' section of a forum, you would search under 'side effects' and see all of those threads. The designers believe that this approach leads to a more vibrant experience-- and that has been my sense, as I have tried it.

The other big thing about ninjapost is the way it connects with social media. I know very little about twitter; as you know, I can't say what's for dinner in fewer than three pages! But for those of you who DO know twitter, facebook, and the other social media, you can use the forum much more easily with the new format.

I cannot transfer the database from this forum to that, so there will be a subdomain with this older forum, in 'read only' format. I realize that it will take a while to adjust to the new format. I am hoping, though, that this puts the forum ahead of the curve, and that the social media connections will allow the forum to grow more quickly. Oh-- one last thing-- the forum is supposed to do well with search engines too.

I am not doing the change this weekend, so feel free to comment. Better yet, answer the poll so I get a sense of sentiment here. Again, I realize some people will not be thrilled with the idea... but if you click a few things at ninjapost or dragonmount you will at least find it interesting-- if not totally cool...

Thanks!

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honestly......I have never really liked this setup anyways. I don't like all the extra sections and it is easy for posts not to be seen and not be responded to. I highly prefer them being all in one section. There is too much clicking on this one and too many places to go to. So I am happy about this change and do think it will make the forum more vibrant. Thanks for keeping up with the times :-)

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree with Cherie! The parenting forum I moderate on is set up like that and it's so much better that way! I'm excited to see the new forum! Great thinkin Doc!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I say go for it.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Am I fired? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What? Why? Nooooo!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject: JUST DO IT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:20 am 
Hi Dr J!

I think it is a great idea. I think once people get used to it they will see how much easier it is! I think you should do whatever you can to get your information out.

When I first got on suboxone 4 months ago, many outpatient rehabs REFUSED to take me. They told my husband I was not CLEAN and was switching one drug for another!

Now, that he has seen the changes I have made in my life in 4 short months he wants to write those places a letter. He thinks they are IGNORANT and wants to tell them. I told him to go for it and mention Dr Junig from Suboxone Talk Zone!!!

So Dr J, thank you SO MUCH for continuing to keep your message out there! I wish I could do more to help you!! Kire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm all for the transition. I really liked how ninjapost was setup and after just a couple minutes checking it out I was really sold on the idea. I've not been much of one for changing things (lol not many addicts I know are) but I think it would make the whole experience "flow" better and it seems like it would be alot easier to get a chance to respond newer more active threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jamez is referring to the fact that he has done all of the great work on the present forum-- the avatars, the emoticons, all of the changes to the headers and links...

But no, Jamez-- sorry! Can't let you go that easily. First, we both know that you spend more time with people issues than with code issues, and people issues will ALWAYS be a big deal, and an area of need. And even from the software perspective, I am going to need help going forward, with design, linking back and forth between old and new, and integrating the whole thing with the blog and other sites.

So no-- can't 'fire' you! I'm also thinking of that scene in Seinfeld, where Kramer is told he is being fired-- he replies 'I don't even work here', and the guy says 'that's what makes this so difficult.' Only funny if you are a Seinfeld nut like me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, I assume we're all going to have to re-register over there, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess I'm in the minority, because I like the categories. I have no complaints about the current system and have no problems keeping up with current posts. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

With regard to social networking sites, well, I personally keep this forum separate from those. Most of those people (friends, family, possibly co-workers) don't even need to know about my addiction, so I won't use any feature that links the two (that's not to say others won't).

But obviously I'll stick around through the transition...I guess I'm just one of those people who don't like change. Junkie had a good question - will we need to re-register or will we keep our "seniority" (for lack of a better word)?

Regardless of how I feel, congrats to you Dr. J for expanding - that's great!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority, because I like the categories. I have no complaints about the current system and have no problems keeping up with current posts. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

With regard to social networking sites, well, I personally keep this forum separate from those. Most of those people (friends, family, possibly co-workers) don't even need to know about my addiction, so I won't use any feature that links the two (that's not to say others won't).

But obviously I'll stick around through the transition...I guess I'm just one of those people who don't like change. Junkie had a good question - will we need to re-register or will we keep our "seniority" (for lack of a better word)?

Regardless of how I feel, congrats to you Dr. J for expanding - that's great!

Well, it's a minority of 5 apparently.....I understand, to some extent, wanting new features. But I'm *totally* with you, hatmaker510, on the social media issue. In fact, unless I am 100% unequivocally positive that my anonymity will be preserved on the new forum, there's no way I will even register an account there. This is the problem with a site like this and trying to link it to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. How many of us here on this site would like it if one of our posts on this message board was accidentally cross-posted to our Facebook Wall?

No offense, Doc, but I'll be treading extremely carefully if you change the forum to something that is "social media aware" because NO ONE outside of my wife even knows I take suboxone. And I prefer to keep it that way.

Also, I prefer having categories as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow - junkie has a really good point. Exactly HOW will it be linked to the social networking sites? Is there any margin of error which could result in some crossover? Because that really bothers me, too.

Post subject: Don't like it
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree if it ant broke don't fix it I really like the way it is easy to find what I want to look at and real easy for new people to find diffrent topics if you have never been to this sight how will you know what to search for.And what about the social net work thing there are a lot of people I know on those sights and would rather them not know what sort meical condetions I have. thats just my thoughts.

Post subject: New Forum set-uo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I an understand that people have the right to privacy about addiction. I personally celebrate my recovery. It is an established fact that a certain percent of humans have a chemical make-up that predisposes them to addiction whether it be alcohol or drugs. That is not a fault. Just a fact. For me, I celebrate my recovery. Not my fault, but my responsibility to try to do something about it. I am completely open about my addiction to alcohol, with 26 years alcohol free. But today is really the only day that really counts. And the fact that I got addicted to opiates after trying chronic pain control--well, it is what it is. I am completely open with my recovery. Suboxone helped me to not have to fight the battle of cravings so I could concentrate on my recovery and not just sobriety. I learned my triggers, my behaviors, my feelings etc. I am open with anyone that wants to know anything about my successes and struggles. That helps me feel good about myself. It's part of me. I find that people respond in a favorable way, and if they don't, well, so what. I am not worried about any of my life accidentally "leaked" to a social networking site. I'm open to any questions. Ann

Post subject: My 2 Cents
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Dr. "J"
First and Foremost Thank You for all you have done for US Recovering addicts. I also think that any growing of the site would be great for you and your message. However I also like the site the way it is (Surprise... Not wanting change from a Recovering Alcoholic & Addict :) } and would have concern that others have spoke about with my Recovery being discussed in other social Networks?? I am very proud of my Recovery and where appropriate I like to discuss it, BUT in my Professional life I would like to keep it known to only a select Few... I must say I have NO idea how the new site would work But I do know that I like it the way it is!!! Don't know if this makes any sense But No matter what you decide Doc. Please keep up the GREAT work you do for ALL of US !!!!!

Post subject: Re: New Forum set-uo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ann wrote:
I an understand that people have the right to privacy about addiction. I personally celebrate my recovery. It is an established fact that a certain percent of humans have a chemical make-up that predisposes them to addiction whether it be alcohol or drugs. That is not a fault. Just a fact. For me, I celebrate my recovery. Not my fault, but my responsibility to try to do something about it. I am completely open about my addiction to alcohol, with 26 years alcohol free. But today is really the only day that really counts. And the fact that I got addicted to opiates after trying chronic pain control--well, it is what it is. I am completely open with my recovery. Suboxone helped me to not have to fight the battle of cravings so I could concentrate on my recovery and not just sobriety. I learned my triggers, my behaviors, my feelings etc. I am open with anyone that wants to know anything about my successes and struggles. That helps me feel good about myself. It's part of me. I find that people respond in a favorable way, and if they don't, well, so what. I am not worried about any of my life accidentally "leaked" to a social networking site. I'm open to any questions. Ann

I treasure my recovery and celebrate the fact that I am clean every day of my life. However, I don't think my employer would appreciate the fact that I was strung out on heroin for half my life and strung out on pain pills for the other half. You want to be "completely open" about your recovery, well, that's fine - for you. Unfortunately, some of us do not have that luxury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with Junkie...Just because we value our privacy doesn't mean that we don't value our recovery just as much. They are different things altogether, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:10 am 
I guess I'll chime in too, as I've been a regular poster for over a year and was a moderator for several months of that time. I respect the opinions and concerns that everyone has expressed and I agree about the concerns for privacy, as I also only share my addiction issues with a select few people in my life. I certainly will not post a link on my facebook page to this site, although I have shared it with many others privately.
I realize that not everyone is that way. There are a lot of recovering addicts/alcoholics who are at a different place than myself. They no longer carry any shame about it and are proud to speak openly and publicly about their experiences. I'm not there yet.....don't know that I ever will be. It may be because of the fact that I was so publicly 'outed' when my addiction/drug diversion was discovered at my workplace, and all of the humiliation that went along with that. Even now, two full years after the 'event' I feel so ashamed and embarassed and still spend some time, albeit less than before, thinking about what everyone must think of me and what I did. Entering treatment and trying to start recovery felt so forced and again, was so public. I don't think I ever mentioned before that one of the weekly meetings I was required to attend was in the meeting room of the very hospital in which I had worked for many years. Every time I went to that meeting, I ducked my head in shame and prayed I wouldn't run into anyone who would ask what I was doing there! Then I would have to sit before this committee once a month who held all the cards in their hands, to have my recovery 'judged.' And of course, it was also super-fun to go the drug testing site, knowing that you had two hours time from the phone call alert that it was your 'turn' to pee. Kinda hard to make yourself pee with another person right there in that bathroom with you too(no exceptions...had to be witnessed each time).
Sorry..got off on a total tangent there. The point being...I didn't have the opportunity in the early part of my recovery to have much anonymity at all and I think it did its damage. I think it made it that much harder for me to get beyond the guilt and shame. It has now become important to me to NOT identify myself first as an "addict" or even an "addict in recovery." I choose to think of myself as /insert my name/, a wife, mother, daughter, friend, homemaker, former nurse, who got addicted to opiates, did some bad things because of it, paid the price and is now in recovery. I hope that's not offensive to anyone, but for me to get better, it's what I, personally, have needed to do. For others, and perhaps even the experts would agree with them, that it's better to label ourselves, that we need to do that as part of the acceptance process. And I do get that. But, for me, just for me, I'm better if I don't do that. So......no I'm not going to be comfortable with there being a possibility of my anonymity being compromised here. However, I've got to believe that with today's technology, there's a safe way to do this without that fear......surely there is! Then again, I'mpretty ignorant when it comes to computers and such, so I don't know. But I would definitely like to see that issue addressed.
As to the format of the site. I've always liked it. But I don't have a problem with it being changed. As far as having to reregister and lose 'seniority'.....there was a time that would have mattered to me, but not anymore. The only reason I'm still around is because this site is part of my support system, I am helped by all of the members here, and I hope I still am helping someone else and making a little difference for another addict somewhere. My 'status' or 'seniority' or 'service' here was proven not be worth much a few months ago, so the issue of status loss holds no meaning for me....just another dose of humility for me to add to what I've accumulated on my journey! Maybe 'starting over' would actually be a positive opportunity for a fresh start in some ways.
Really, to me, the main issue or focus should be on reaching more people. It seems that the site hasn't shown a ton of traffic lately and that needs to change. The information that Dr. Junig has provided through his websites and the information and support that the regular posting members here have to offer, needs to be reaching more people. The site has got to be made more 'attractive' so more people will find us and join in. Sometimes that means major changes. I'm no expert on anything, but I think this site has got to find a way to grow or it will not stay around, save a limited number of folks, like myself who just won't go away! lol!
Well, I know that turned into way more than anyone probably cared to read. But I've been thinking about it for a while, trying to investigate why I feel the way I do and also trying to understand why others feel the way they do. I guess, in summary, I have the same concerns that some of the others have expressed; yet I am all for change, all for anything that will help the site! I'll more than likely stick around through whatever decisions are made, as long as I am allowed to.
One more thing....I agree with you, Hatmaker....just because I don't wear an NA tee shirt and I don't have the bumper sticker on my car, or carry the 'book' with me everywhere I go, does not mean I don't celebrate my recovery just as much as those who do. To each their own, I say. Privacy, as you said, is a different issue altogether!
Regards to all!

Post subject: Re: New Forum set-uo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ann wrote:

That's fine for you but most other only want the people that they chose to tell to know, I know in the job I'm in that would be looked at real bad and no it don't change the way I do my job but it will change the way people look at me thats just the way it is regardless if I am clean now or not.