Should we change to ninjapost
Yes 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all let me say I know nothing about web designs for online forums. I'm just thinking there must be a way to tweak this forum to incorporate some of the qualities of ninja-post. Also, what about having a sort of main category (in addition to the categories) that has all of the posts. That way it will all be in one place but it would also be categorized, making it easier to refer back to older posts (I find it easier to refer someone back to an older post by telling them the category it's under). Does any of this make sense? Because I know nothing about the logistics of such a forum, it's extremely likely that these ideas just can't be done. They're just things that occurred to me.

I'll check out your new blog and again, thanks Dr. J for all the effort and time you put into all this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

......but I didn't use a fake e-mail address to register here. So if I was new to the site and didn't understand to use a fake one and registered and it plastered everything everywhere I would be ruined! Don't like it.

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a totally valid point.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:24 pm 
Jackcrack.....I didn't use a fake email address when I signed up here either. Don't know if that makes me naive or too trusting or just ignorant. I bet I'd have to have one of my kids show me how to set up a 'fake' one! Again, for those who aren't real computer savvy and/or don't participate in many online forums, chatting or whatnot, it seems all the more worrisome to have a potential for a 'leak' of our private information. As for me, this is the only online forum that I participate in and perhaps I've been naive to a degree even here. For instance, I didn't realize until recently that my Private Messages were accessible to anyone but myself and the person I was corresponding with.
Anyway, I am more and more concerned about potential inadvertant invasions of privacy. I'm still not ready to come right out and say I'm "anti" the changes.....just concerned and looking for more reassurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

setmefree, jackcrack:

If you're worried about your email address in your profile, you can create a new one and I can change it for you in your profile. Generally you don't have to worry but if you get a PM it will usually email you to notify that you received one, or if someone replied to your thread.

Let me know if you or anyone else wants me to change their email address. You can easily go to [url]gmail.com[/url] and create a new email address to associate with your account here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxdoc wrote:

As for this forum, i am trying to decide whether there is a way to do a 'hybrid' approach-- keep this forum the same, but have an adjacent ninja-post forum for non-categorized discussion. My fear is that the ninjapost forum would siphon off interest from THIS forum... although I suppose that would be capitalism in action, and it is hard to not respect the outcome of such a head-to-head approach. The fear is that both forums would become too small to keep going. I don't think that would happen-- but nobody can totally predict the future.

I know you're just "thinking out loud" but I think this is a bad idea. Yes, if you move the board, during a transitional period it would be advisable to have a read-only copy of this old board visible, but I think you need to either migrate or not migrate, anything else will likely lead to confusion.

suboxdoc wrote:

I would like to make use of the social linking for those (and only for those) who want to use it. It might be helfpful to 'the cause' to have a bunch of facebook sites that are held anonymously by members of our forum-- although I'm thinking right now that the whole point of facebook is to connect with people, and being anonymous defeats that purpose! I'll have to give some thought to the nature of social networking-- what the attraction is all about. I rarely use facebook, twitter, etc-- I have accounts (at facebook I think the name is 'addiction remission'), and I even have a personal facebook site... last time I was there I noticed about 50 friend requests from the same high school classmates who used to beat me up if they caught me alone! They're probably responsible for at least a couple of the personality factors that made me vulnerable to addiction.... not that I'm blaming anyone....

ha ha, you got on, then right back off the slippery slope. :lol: The entire point of Facebook and other social media sites is the open sharing of information, not privacy. There is pretty much nothing private about Facebook by default and in fact, it requires a very real effort to make your Facebook page private at all. It kind of defeats the purpose of having an "anonymous" forum for discussion of such a sensitive topic as addiction.

The point was already made above, if you're going to run the board on Ninjapost, I would caution anyone who is posting here that does not want to risk any of their posts being accidentally cross posted to Facebook or Twitter or Google Wave to download a separate web browser such as Google Chrome and use that browser for nothing other than this site. That will greatly reduce the likelihood of accidents, since most of those occur because of cookies and cookies are rarely shared between browsers......so there ARE things that can be done to preserve anonymity, but we're all going to have to think very carefully about this.

suboxdoc wrote:

One last comment-- the whole point of ninjapost is to grow the forum.

JJ

I get that, but I just question the approach. Think about it. How many drug addicts do you know who would want their addiction struggles on their Facebook or other social media pages? For me, the number is zero.

Now, with that said, you would likely be exposing your forum to a larger community of forums by moving over to ninjapost and you would likely gain some traffic -eventually- as a result. But the anonymity thing is, I think, bigger than you may realize. You're going to want to make sure that the ninjapost interface offers a very clear and easy to use privacy setting that will allow users here to maintain their anonymity, because I know that if there any question that I could not browse and use this site anonymously, I would not be typing this post right now and I am guessing I am far from the only person who feels this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You are right thanks for saying what I think most all are thanking. There has to be a way to make this sight better and not compromise to integrety of the sight. I am not real computer savy I don't know how to use all the safety settings and I am to scared about my private life that I trust sharing with the people of this forum getting out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Time for my $.02... I remember back about a year ago when I was watching youtube videos from Dr. J.. Desperate.. Looking for something and finding out information about suboxone.

Then there was either a mention on a video, or on the talk zone about a forum... in fact it said - hey - just go there and make up a name to stay anonymous.. get involved, find answers, etc... so I DID!!!

If a new and expanded forum mean reaching people like me... ninja forum would do one of 2 things.

1- I would LURK and never post or get involved... to scared to somehow inadvertently get cross postings and unwanted exposure - OR -

2- If massively compelled I would create a whole slew of more anonymous...'sneaky' e-mail addresses, false facebook accounts, etc.

For me personally #2 is part of my overall problem. I came to a place where I had faced my addiction as it was - and addiction - but I could not go public. Now, if I wanted the support of a forum - but had to further sneak into false obscurity to do it (rather than just an anonymous ID) - it would probably not be positive toward my overall recovery.

Maybe I can say this differently. I absolutely agree with Dr. J's view that addicts seem to have 2 personalities. One we justify as our addict, and the one we show others. I guess that by having to do a bunch of more false things to become more accountable ... well hopefully you can see how that would feed the wrong personality.

I hope this makes sense. I'm hit and miss as it is lately with a hugely stressful summer. Still - this forum works OK - and unless we could re-create a site that had the functions of ninjapost without the ability to goof up and cross post - I'd likely just lurk around.

My $.02.. --LD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm pretty new here, but was certainly hoping to stick around for a while as this forum has provided me with a lot of useful information, and a lot of support. I'm going to have to agree with a lot of things that have already been said here.

I think that it would be great for the forum to be more accessible and easier to navigate as that would make things much easier for all of us, however, I think that a forum that could potentially compromise a person's privacy would NOT draw in more members at all, in fact, I believe that it would actually deter a lot of people from registering in the first place.

Unfortunately, I am very reserved when it comes to revealing the details of my past...debauchery that ultimately lead to my addiction, which is something that only a small number of people in my life are aware of at all. My family doesn't even know. I think that it's sad that some of us have to feel that way, and I wish that there wasn't such a stigma against addicts, but that stigma exists, and it influences the perceptions of others when it comes to people like me/us. If something that I wrote here ended up on my facebook page, I would be devastated and would have a LOT of explaining to do to a LOT of people. If others were more receptive to addicts, or even open to learning more about addiction, then perhaps that would make a situation such as this one less of a big deal.

I don't think I would be able to stick around if my privacy was questionable in any way. The great thing about this place is that I have anonymity, which ultimately leads to more honesty on my part, and surely to more honesty from others. I would LURK the new forum, maybe, but I would certainly be less inclined to post.

Is there any way that it could be made optional to provide a link to one's facebook/ social website of choice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really not trying to "pile on" here, and I do understand, Dr. Junig, that you are only trying to improve and enhance your offerings. There's nothing wrong with exploring new ideas, and I think it's good to evaluate your options.

As I was reading this thread, another thing occurred to me about the Ninjapost scenario. Assuming you did move the board there, I'm guessing that most people here would be concerned enough about privacy to go ahead and set up some fake email accounts to hide our tracks so we could post there.

Think about that for a second. I'll repeat it:

I'm guessing that most people here would be concerned enough about privacy to go ahead and set up some fake email accounts to hide our tracks so we could post there.

Now, I can only speak for myself, but this kind of behavior (i.e. setting up fake email accounts to hide tracks) is moving me, as a recovering addict, in the wrong direction. That's the kind of stuff I did when I was actively using drugs. Sneaking around, lying cheating, stealing, manipulating, hiding......

I just thought that was worth mentioning.

Doc, you've got my email and phone number. If I can help in any way, feel free to give me a call. I've got tons of experience with phpBB, vBulletin, phpNuke, DotNetNuke, Yuku, and plenty of other web communications technologies. Ninjapost is not the only game in town.

Where I think you may be heading in a dangerous direction is with the Social Media aspect as it applies to the forum. For your blogs/website and other aspects of your web presence, for example, your videos series, again, there are tons of options, many of them are either social-media aware, or easily connected to social media. I just think you're going to want to be very careful about connecting any interactive aspects of your enterprise to social media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So wear are we at with this issue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wanted to revive this thread because I just read Dr. J's latest blog post. In it he writes that he will be doing changes to the forum. I don't know if the changes will be the ones he mentioned when he first started this thread or not. I still don't like the idea of signing in (or even accidentally signing in) with Facebook or Gmail or any other such way.

Dr. Junig if you are reading this could you let us know what kind of changes you plan on making or if you plan on making the original changes your mentioned.

I think many of us are still concerned about privacy. Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hatmaker,

I heard from the doc and we are considering an upgrade to the forum, but not anything like NinjaPost. Just some better software either vBulletin or phpBB in the latest version. Its still on the drawing board though, but privacy is the #1 priority.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update, Jamez. YOU ROCK. My mind is much more at ease now. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What if we had two things:

(1) The best "forum" type software available to continue suboxforum and make it easier to navigate, especially for new users
(2) Our own anonymous and private social network for opiate addicts, with NO LINKS to external sites but all the bells and whistles of Facebook, etc? I would really like to be able to go on to a Facebook like site, anonymously, and post updates etc, chat with "friends" and make things a little more interactive and real-time than a forum.

If there were an anonymous/private facebook-like site for opiate addicts, would people use it?

It raises many questions like how do you find "friends" when everything is anonymous. Well, maybe you post a profile of your story that anyone can read, and then you correspond with people with whom you share things in common. Maybe instead of "favorite movies" in your profile we put "drugs of choice" etc. Same way people find friends on FB.

I can think of two ways to solve the email registration problem. Presumably, emails are required in registration to make sure people don't just register and then screw around with the forum/site.

What if we used SMS messages to cell phones to confirm registration? (and then deleted the number from our server's database after registration was confirmed?)

What if we used emails, but then deleted the emails from server memory/database as soon as registration was confirmed?

I really think we can overcome privacy/anonymity concerns if we develop appropriate policy and implement it with the right technology. I have an ENORMOUS amount to lose if my privacy/anonymity were to be violated. On the other hand, I have an enormous amount to gain if this forum continues to grow in membership quantity and quality, and if we put the technology in place to make it easy and convenient for addicts to converse with each other 24x7 about opiate addiction. And that means embracing new stuff like social networks. As long as we make privacy/anonymity an absolute precondition, I think we CAN try new technologies with almost no risk.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Drugstorecowboy - that's a really interesting idea. Being a non-techno geek myself, I have no idea how it would work, but I think I might be interested in something like what you described. Although I must say that the chat room is available here and it's actually rarely used. That could be considered an indication of the amount of interest people would have in even more "social" activities with other members. (If that made sense?)

I'd really like to hear from the real techno-geeks about how that might work. If it could work, perhaps it's time for a new thread and poll to find out if there's any interest in an anonymous social networking site for us addicts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Drugstorecowboy - that's a really interesting idea. Being a non-techno geek myself, I have no idea how it would work, but I think I might be interested in something like what you described. Although I must say that the chat room is available here and it's actually rarely used. That could be considered an indication of the amount of interest people would have in even more "social" activities with other members. (If that made sense?)

I'd really like to hear from the real techno-geeks about how that might work. If it could work, perhaps it's time for a new thread and poll to find out if there's any interest in an anonymous social networking site for us addicts.

I have real technogeek credentials, although I haven't actually written code in a long time. I think it is absolutely doable. Just go on Facebook and imagine you're completely anonymous and all your FB friends are fellow anonymous addicts. Key functionality:

(1) News feed. Here you post whatever you want. "I relapsed on hydrocodone. Is that serious?" etc. People comment, or send you messages privately, or chat with you in real time.

(2) Friends. You find your friends either offline (like people do in FB) or online by reading their ANONYMOUS profiles

(3) Profiles. Our anonymous profiles would contain, for the most part, a short story of one's addiction (and hopefully) recovery. But we could also put in things like "Likes and Interests" so people could bond on non-drug things as well. By browsing profiles, you could find anonymous friends, communicate with them, chat with them.

(4) Closely linked to forum...a forum is a very valuable tool which social networking sites lack. The best would be a merged set of forum functionalities with social networking functionalities.

The key issue is not feasibility, but anonymity/privacy protection. Even on this forum, we all had to give *some* email address to register. What about switching to text messaging? Cell phone numbers are virtually impossible to "reverse-lookup". They are essentially anonymous. We could just require that a registrant put in a valid mobile number to which we send a code needed for registration. Then they have two options (a) we erase their cell phone number or (b) they let us keep it (privately! - not part of profile!) and use it to send them updates etc THAT THEY REQUEST, e.g. "Notify me when someone writes on my wall" "Notify me when someone replies to my post" etc. We just use text messaging instead of email, which is essentially the same thing but much more anonymous.

Before we take a poll, I'd like to take the time to outline exactly what I have in mind. I think it could be a useful tool not only for addicts to get together in cyberspace, but also for addicts in recovery to help each other in cyberspace in near-real-time.

DSC

PS) I think we SHOULD switch to some other forum platform because this one is VERY USER-UNFRIENDLY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:56 am 
I say pls switch to some more user friendly... maybe less advertizing? But at least something easier to use.