Should we change to ninjapost
Yes 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hay SETMEFREE don't be so hard on your self I to had a great job and lost it do to my drug use but I have started to let the past be the past best of luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 am 
Thanks rsaylor! I appreciate your thoughts. It's definitely a journey to get past it, isn't it? I've come a good distance but still have a way to go in the guilt department. It really does help me to put the "addict" label later on down on the list of who and what I am. I am many things beyond my addiction and it alone does not define me! And you're right, unfortunately, even though it is wrong to do so, most people will look at us differently in the workplace or wherever, if they know about our drug history. In my opinion, it's best to disclose as we see appropriate to disclose....and our right to choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That was a great post, setmefree

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I looked at the ninjapost site and it looks like the social media integration is optional - they just have software that makes it easier to share stuff on facebook and twitter if you want to - but unless you set up your account that way it's not going to happen.

In other words, it's not like you could accidentally post a forum post to your facebook wall.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:11 pm 
Thank you for the compliment Junkie....I always get a lot from your posts as well. You're a wonderful contributor here along with so many others!
Thanks Diary for checking into that issue. I had a pretty strong feeling that was the case....that it would be 100% optional and clearly deliniated if one were posting to a social media outlet as well as the Subox forum. Hopefully, your researching that will alleviate some of those types of concerns. So thanks for clearing that up!
With the privacy concerns addressed (at least to my satisfaction,) I will go ahead and say that I am on board for the changes and will fully support Dr. Junig and whomever else is involved with making the transition.
And one more 'thanks' must be added.....to Dr. Junig whose unwaivering support for us and all addicts has allowed us to come together here and receive so very much good, solid, verifiable information and support! It's obvious to me that you are someone who really does care about each and every one of us, no matter where we are or who we are! I appreciate all you do! Keep up the good work and let me know if I can help in any way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Believe me, I know all about Ninjapost. I develop web sites for a living. Social media-aware web sites, in fact. I also know that web sites like Ninjapost (EZBoard.com and Yuku.com come to mind) have experienced plenty of bugs in the past, bugs that can and have resulted in unwanted crossposting of content to social media sites. It's happened to me more than once on Yuku, but luckily, the Yuku boards I moderate have nothing to do with addiction.

It's also very, very easy for end users, particularly those that are not too computer savvy, to mistakenly enable cross posting if they are not careful. One wrong check box or one radio button selection not made correctly and your entire addiction history along with how much suboxone you are currently taking is up on your Facebook wall for everyone to see. If it can happen on other boards, it can happen on Ninjapost.

As I already mentioned, I completely understand the desire to want to remain current. PHPbb is pretty old stuff. It's been around since the late 90's and hasn't really been updated much, so I get the desire to move on, and there's nothing inherently wrong with Ninjapost.

I am sure that there will be no intentional cross posting of anything from the new board to any social media sites, given the sensitive nature of the kind of information we share here on this board, but, personally, I will probably just be an observer for a while after it's implemented, because I simply cannot afford the risk of having my addiction exposed. There's just way too much at stake for me.

Just take a look at the Registration page alone on Ninjapost - http://forum.ninjapost.com/join.php

Already, I am concerned, because it appears that you are required to use a social media account just to register. If that is the case, I will not be registering. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If what Junkie has described will apply to/can happen at the new site (and he makes a good argument for it), then that seriously concerns me as well.

Perhaps Jamez or Dr. J can give us some more information?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Look at the registration page I linked to. They want you to register by first linking your Ninjapost account to one of your social media accounts, like Facebook, Twitter or Google Wave. I'll tell you right now, I ain't doing it. No way. Not worth the risk for me. Unless I create a completely fake Facebook account or something.

I hate to be paranoid, but I've been burned by this kind of thing before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did look at the page and I'm right there with you on this one, Junkie. I'd have to create a new gmail account in order to put my mind at ease. Actually, I went ahead and clicked on the gmail/google icon to see where the registration would take me to - it automatically picked up my gmail address/username without my having or needing to enter it.

Post subject: privacy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone about their feelings of privacy. I believe the addiction, or recovery, or relapse or what ever our feelings or struggles are, that they are very much a personal choice of each person about privacy. There is no wrong opinion on this issue. The right choice is the choice you make for yourself. No, I do not wear tee-shirts that say "addict". I am proud of my recovery so far. Today. I know it is not a promise for tomorrow. Hearing your stories and opinions are very important for me. I did all the "bad" things everyone else did. I have felt shame. I have made amends as much as possible and still make them. Special people like all of you on this site are a huge part of my continuing recovery. I need all of you like I need the air to breathe. I am very sensitive and sorry for the fact that many people don't have the education about addiction and are so quick to judge. I believe that people are slowly learning that addiction is not a character defect, and that they are leaning that it takes incredible courage to begin and continue to recover. I'm a bit wordy. So, again, I apologize if i offended anyone. Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:
I did look at the page and I'm right there with you on this one, Junkie. I'd have to create a new gmail account in order to put my mind at ease. Actually, I went ahead and clicked on the gmail/google icon to see where the registration would take me to - it automatically picked up my gmail address/username without my having or needing to enter it.

And therein lies the rub, as they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You certainly didn't offend me, Ann :D

We're all adults here, and everyone is fully entitled to their opinion and you're right, there are no right or wrong answers to this kind of thing it depends on each individual's circumstances.

For THIS individual, anonymity is crucial. I would be unemployed tomorrow if my employer knew I was taking suboxone.

That's a damned shame, but it's a fact.

And if I were unemployed, I could no longer afford to pay my mother's rent. And if I could no longer afford to pay her rent, she would be really, really screwed.

And that's just one of dozens of potential life-changing consequences I'd face if my privacy were violated on this issue.

Which is why this topic is so important to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You didn't offend me either, Ann, and I hope I didn't say anything that contributed to you feeling the need to apologize, because it wasn't necessary.

Both of you are right - there are no right or wrong ways to feel about our own recovery and our privacy, it's complicated by the real world and ridiculous biases. We all simply must do what's best for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:29 pm 
Definitely no need to apologize! You certainly didn't offend me either. In fact, I wish we could all be able to be more open about our addiction/recovery. It's just unfortunate that we can't, without fear of being judged, or worse (as Junkie spoke about.) I probably should apologize for making the comment about the NA tee shirts, actually. I tend to be sarcastic sometimes and in being so, I know I can hurt feelings.....so if that was offensive to you or anyone else, I do apologize. My real point, I hope that came across, was that although I don't publicize my addiction history/recovery openly to everyone, it doesn't mean I don't value it and am not proud of what I have survived and how much better I've gotten through Suboxone, therapy, NA meetings, this forum and the support of my loved ones.
I didn't mean to be insensitive to you Ann, not at all. Honestly, I'm impressed with your openness and agree with everything you just said....You're a special person, as are all of us here in recovery. And I hope you're right about things beginning to change in terms of people not seeing addiction as a character defect and in recognizing the incredible amount of courage and strength it takes to get into recovery.
By the way....I'm wordy too. But that's what this place is for. Say as much or as little as you need to say, at least that's my opinion. Glad you're here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think if you used the ninjapost forum and Facebook on the same PC you would be at considerable risk of accidentally making improper privacy and/or security settings in one application or another, even if you do set up a separate email account. All of the social media sites have a way of springing unassuming questions on you at inopportune times. I have made bad choices because FB, for one, is constantly changing their security policies and requiring users to select new options when you may not be ready or understand fully what you are doing. Likewise many forums recognize your PC even if you've never been to a specific forum before, only because they are linked by an underlying application. Your browser or browsers as the case may be is another place you could make an error and inadvertently compromise your security. Granted, if you are careful and do everything correctly you could avoid any issues, but it is a risk. I will be sad to see this forum go the way of social media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:13 pm 
Worrisome indeed! I can just imagine something popping up my facebook page, for my friends, family, etc. to see. And although my 15 year old daughter knows some about her mom's addiction and recovery, she doesn't know all of it, and would be appalled at the thought of her friends seeing something like that come up! Not to mention the fact that she goes to a private Christian school! Oh my word.....that could be very, very bad! Now I'm about to change my mind about this whole idea! I am not very computer savvy and it would be just about like me to hit "agree" or something without understanding what I had just done! I would definitely have to be taught how to set up some 'fake' account somewhere somehow, something to avoid the fear that I would make a mistake and once-again be front-page news! Oh my gosh....I'm afraid I would wind up completely losing it if I had to go through another public 'outing'!!
Hopefully Jamez or Dr. Junig can jump in on this discussion and address our concerns. I don't want to lose everybody here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll have to research this more. I haven't had a chance to really look at ninjapost because I'm working 2 jobs but junkie781 we should talk. I'm worried everyone would disappear because like all of you, very few really know my circumstances and they would NOT understand especially EMPLOYERS that I am Facebook friends with for instance.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just like most of us used an anonymous email account to register here, you can do the same at ninjapost, or you can set up a twitter account that you'd just use to log in to the forum. You wouldn't have to give any of your real info or anything.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Diary is very correct! there are many ways around it. No worries!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for all of the GREAT feedback. I have been following the discussion-- which is why nothing has happened so far. I understand Junkie's concerns; i have made mistakes on various sites over the years from not realizing that I was logged into an account that then sent my comment out where I didn't want it to go. As an aside, I liked the discussion about privacy, and agree with how things were apparently resolved-- that while it is nice to not worry about being 'found out', in the real world people will ALWAYS be judgmental about those with addictions, and it is human nature to 'punish' those who we feel judgmental about. The irony is that people who are closest to addiction-- those who have loved ones who are addicts, or those who are in denial about their OWN addiction-- will be the MOST judgmental. There is a phenomenon called 'projection' where we see our own problems more acutely in other people-- and react to them harshly in those people.

Where was I.... real quick, please check in now and then on my new blog over at psychcentral.com, called 'an epidemic of addiction.' It is just starting up, but place a bookmark if you think of it and add a comment if the discussion moves you. I had to push to get a blog 'just' about opioid dependence, and I think they are wondering if there is enough interest out there to sustain a blog so narrowly focused... of course you and I know that the problem is much, much larger than they realize.

As for this forum, i am trying to decide whether there is a way to do a 'hybrid' approach-- keep this forum the same, but have an adjacent ninja-post forum for non-categorized discussion. My fear is that the ninjapost forum would siphon off interest from THIS forum... although I suppose that would be capitalism in action, and it is hard to not respect the outcome of such a head-to-head approach. The fear is that both forums would become too small to keep going. I don't think that would happen-- but nobody can totally predict the future.

I would like to make use of the social linking for those (and only for those) who want to use it. It might be helfpful to 'the cause' to have a bunch of facebook sites that are held anonymously by members of our forum-- although I'm thinking right now that the whole point of facebook is to connect with people, and being anonymous defeats that purpose! I'll have to give some thought to the nature of social networking-- what the attraction is all about. I rarely use facebook, twitter, etc-- I have accounts (at facebook I think the name is 'addiction remission'), and I even have a personal facebook site... last time I was there I noticed about 50 friend requests from the same high school classmates who used to beat me up if they caught me alone! They're probably responsible for at least a couple of the personality factors that made me vulnerable to addiction.... not that I'm blaming anyone....

Thanks for the discussion, and feel free to continue-- I'll keep up on it. If the discussion continues I'd be interested in thoughts about a combination approach.

One last comment-- the whole point of ninjapost is to grow the forum. I am always sending e-mails, letters, and even making phone calls to spread the word; I have considered a major direct-mail campaign to doctors but that gets more expensive than I can do right now. Everyone here can do a great deal to help grow the forum by spreading the word when you see the chance. If you see an article in a major newspaper, for example, about the epidemic of pain pill addiction, leave a comment with mention of this forum. Avoid a direct link, unless it is clear that they allow links-- otherwise your comment will simply be deleted. I find that it is more likely to remain posted if the bulk of the comment is about the article-- then a side comment, like 'there is support and info at suboxforum.com...

everyone have a great weekend, and keep the faith--

JJ